[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 39 KB, 292x450, thetrial.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13186406 No.13186406 [Reply] [Original]

So, what was it all about? Someone wanna help me here?

Was his brute method his downfall? Was it that he insulted the court and all the people connected too much? I feel like i'm missing a huge marker yet I liked it very much, reminds me of TCoL49's paranoia but in a more subtle way.

>> No.13186525

>>13186406
It's about the fact that he could never change his impending doom. He is trapped in a world that is terrifying and confusing, and no matter how hard you try, you are not getting any answers.
Does that help a bit?

>> No.13186595

>>13186525
Yes, very much so, so, it was all lost for him as soon as he was aware of his trial? When do you think he realized it was all useless? Now I realize why every other person he came into contact with knew something of the trial but each one of them seemed to contradict each-other and it always lead to now-where for no reason and all this with the trial still taking place. Am I getting it right?

>> No.13186624

IT WAS ALL A DREAM

>> No.13186655

>>13186595
Yes You are. Think about the story about the guardian at the door.

>> No.13186671

It wasn't finished, so don't expect it to be something it's not. The key is the parable of the Laws. Just keep reading that for a decade

>> No.13186677

>>13186595
I'm >>13186525
Exactly, also what >>13186655 says. I don't know when he realised it was all useless, I've read it about 10 years ago and don't remember the details that well. The story with the guardian is the absolute best though.

>> No.13187013

>>13186406
Pynchon paranoia seems to me a different thing, more about hidden truths in the past and the idea that someone out there is or once was in on the secret. The Trial's version is more about every present moment being dense/impersonalised to the point of impenetrability.

>> No.13187052

It's the book of Job. It also influenced almost every French movie stylistically.

>> No.13188155

>>13186406
Mainly the idiocy and redundancy of bureaucracy and bureaucratic systems.
>Oh you are trying to do X? Do you have the proper forms? No? Well then you must see Y in order to obtain proper documentation. Please come back with those documents and we can move forward.
Then you go to Y.
>Ah, I see. Well, you actually need this document from X in order to do that? Do you have that? No? Please come back with the proper forms and I'll be able to help.

>> No.13188176

>>13188155
To add on to this with a moder day example: purchasing alcohol. In Tennessee you aren't required to ID someone for the purchase of alcohol if they look over 25 or thereabouts. That is the state law. However most businesses require their employees to ID. It is not sufficient enough to be over the age of 21 to purchase alcohol if your ID is checked. You must have a valid form of ID, and it must not be expired. Even if you are 21 or older but your ID is expired it is against the law for someone to sell you alcohol. Gas stations and Wal-Mart have a policy where if you are buying alcohol, everyone with you must be ID'd or else they won't sell you alcohol. Bureaucratic rules are often idiotic and defy all sense, but are mainly in place so you cannot sue them.

>> No.13188201

>assumption of innocents is important
>corruption in the legal system is persistent but useless
>defense lawyers don't do shit sometimes
>bureaucracy is shit when done for no reason other than governmental power
>the accused are helpless and have no idea what's going on
>authority should be questioned before it has the power not to be