[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 92 KB, 679x516, disagreement-hierarchy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1309526 No.1309526 [Reply] [Original]

I've been out of college for a few years now, and I don't read very often any more. I've got more free time now and I kind of want to get back into the sport. I'm interested in Sci-fi/Fantasy, anything with an engaging story and preferably scholarly language (I feel my vocabulary has suffered from disuse).

I know this is probably the best place on the internet to ask:
>What are your favorite sci-fi/fantasy novels, or novel in general, and why?
(picture unrelated)

>> No.1309544

Slaughterhouse-Five, by Kurt Vonnegut.
It's light on the sci-fi, I'll admit, but entertaining nonetheless.

>> No.1309557

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100805080416/4chanlit/images/e/e3/128088780713.jpg

>> No.1309598

>>1309557
Thanks for that, but I'd really like to hear opinions of books, to hear how people interpret them, so I can understand if it would be a good book for me.

>>1309544
I enjoyed Sirens of Titan when I was a kid, I've only heard good things about Slaughterhouse-Five, I probably should have read it by now. Thanks.

>> No.1309631

I talking mostly from the scholarly language

Ursula Le Guin: it's leaking readind Malinoski, but IN SPACE!

And If you don't mind Urban Fantasy, maybe some Borges

>> No.1309645

>>1309544
That book either left me wanting or said something which I don't understand, I just didn't understand the big deal.
I guess now I'm supposed to say "So it goes"

>> No.1309658

Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy

First of all, it's remarkable for being a hard SF series that doesn't have mediocre writing and paper-thin characters. On top of that, it has what can only be described as "epic scale"; it spans over 200 years a lot of crazy shit happens in that time. It has lots of long infodumps on science and politics, which might bother some people but is perfectly okay with me. And it doesn't hurt that I'm a fan of Robinson's ecoanarchist politics.

>> No.1309674

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds was a great debut, and opened into a series that only got better. The man bases it all on hard science, yet his writing style is great. It's not dry, like a lot of hard scifi turns out to be.