[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.05 MB, 2400x2918, George_Gordon_Byron,_6th_Baron_Byron_by_Richard_Westall.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13090920 No.13090920 [Reply] [Original]

I can't bring myself to finish this untalented shitter's works. All of his poems are long drawn, tedious and empty pieces of trash to suck the classicist pseuds' micro-penises. It's like some shitty hollywood movie that has nothing to offer but packs of oblivious pop culture references, this is what Lord Byron writes. His poems are so fucking vacant it's a wonder how they managed to be remembered up to this day.

>let's begin by telling how Childe Harold pussied out of his country
>Ah! Wait, there's a mountain over there, let's digress a little and talk about greek deities and myths
>And lo behold! Here's another lake, let us enjoy another three hundred verses of mental masturbation and throw in more classical references
I'm out of this shit honestly.

>> No.13090935

get pleb filtered

>> No.13090936

Shit taste, maybe Rupi Kaur is more your speed.

>> No.13090977

>>13090936
>muh classicist circlejerking is patrician taste you need to have a 300 IQ to understand all these references
You aren't any better than neckbeards who claim the original star trek is the best thing in the universe.

>> No.13090998

>>13090977
This stuff was common knowledge to even the lowest retard back in his day. Blame your education for your anger.

>> No.13091008

>>13090998
>even the lowest retard back in his day.
Yes, back when only a small chunk of people could read.
>Blame your education for your anger.
Yeah sorry i didn't get educated in still tedious as fuck epic poems i couldn't give two shits about and long forgotten history in school.

>> No.13091011

>>13090977
First of all Byron's poetry has merit by his mastery of form alone, and even someone with your room temperature IQ should be able to appreciate that. Secondly, his command of language makes him enjoyable to read, I find that how he chooses to phrase things and convey ideas is as good as his form. The only extra research needed to comprehend him is a modest understanding of some archaic vocabulary.
Even I'll admit that I don't go out of my way to scour for every single reference to claim myself as an "intellectual" on Byron, his work is enjoyable to me even without knowing all those references. It's not like they alone are what give merit to his work.

>> No.13091017

>>13090920
>shitter
>tedious
>empty
>pseud
>micro-penis
>mental masturbation

NPC

>> No.13091018

>>13091008
Don't read it then, do you have a gun to your head

>> No.13091028

>>13091011
>has merit by his mastery of form alone,
Subjective
>his command of language
Of course, throwing in old english obsolete terms makes him enjoyable as fuck, right?

>It's not like they alone are what give merit to his work.
If i would have been there for the style i would have taken a fucking class on Byron. The content he offers is so bland and unoriginal i can scarcely give him the same merits of the other main romantic poets.

>>13091017
Suggest better terms to convey my anger

>>13091018
Nope

>> No.13091084

>this thread
mutts shouldn’t be allowed to read more than children’s books

>> No.13091094

>>13091028
>>has merit by his mastery of form alone,
>Subjective
I suppose it is but something with proper rhyme and meter is already more interesting to read than at least 80% of free verse I've encountered, as so much of it falls under the category of "flowery prose with line breaks at random".
>Of course, throwing in old english obsolete terms makes him enjoyable as fuck, right?
You are one dense fucker if that's what you thought I meant. I don't care about the "thees" and "thous", it's his metaphors, his analogies, how he conveys an idea. Take this stanza from Fare Thee Well, a poem he wrote to his wife as they separated (and perhaps my favorite from him):

These are words of deeper sorrow
Than the wail above the dead;
Both shall live, but every morrow
Wake us from a widow’d bed.

The form makes it pleasant to read, the language is in absolutely no way inaccessible or needlessly obtuse, and the manner in which he describes the sorrow of parting is poignant. You really don't see any beauty in it at all?

>The content he offers is so bland and unoriginal i can scarcely give him the same merits of the other main romantic poets.

Already, show me some examples of this other scintillating poetry then.

>> No.13091130
File: 484 KB, 648x641, 1517698925647.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13091084
>le wypipo IQ is superior xD
Go back to your containment board >>>/pol/

>>13091094
>Already, show me some examples of this other scintillating poetry then.
The Rime of The Ancient Mariner

>> No.13091165
File: 381 KB, 792x612, ass burgers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>amerilard blogposting about how much he can't stand longform poetry
>tried and failed to say anything of value about anything

>> No.13091555

>>13091130
You're an absolute retard. Your indictment of Byron consists entirely of your subjective opinion and nothing else. You have nothing of value to say.

>> No.13091622

>>13090920
I think, first of all, you can get a bit of an education on the allusions with an annotated edition--you can learn about biblical and classical myth while learning about/encountering romanticism. A lot of bang for your proverbial buck. Secondly, but more importantly: Byron, for the most part, is a satirist. He's making fun of the poetry of his day and of the past, the so-called conventional coming-of-age or rake tropes, his public image, etc. (Mind you there are exceptions, like the Hebrew Melodies.) I think that's lost on people, in the same was De Sade's satire is commonly lost on people, because they don't know anything about the other works common in the day. It'd be like misreading Evelyn Waugh, thinking he's supposed to be serious and philosophical like Camus, then complaining that his writing is soft and frivolous as if it were some damning critique nobody could have perceived until your consciousness pierced the page. In short, if you're getting upset you're taking it far too seriously.

>> No.13091681

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society where none intrudes,
By the deep Sea, and music in its roar:
I love not Man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.

>> No.13091682

>>13091130
Kek