[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 69 KB, 748x748, Dorkdark.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13090334 No.13090334 [Reply] [Original]

Does anyone get the "Salad days" reference cause I'm going to post another reference and I don't want to be banned again.

>> No.13091202

There's a reference to that in Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra. I'm not sure if there's anything older than that.
Generally, it refers to a persons youthful days of inexperience, enthusiasm, idealism, innocence, or indiscretion. Also known as "being a dumbass".

>> No.13091336

>>13090334

It’s a metaphor from Shakespeare’s Anthony and Cleopatra. Cleopatra talks about “my salad days, when I was yet but green in judgment”, so the meaning it’s simple: salad days are the days of your youth when you still didn’t acquire wisdom and experience”.

Such bold and extravagant metaphors are quite common in Shakespeare. Other poets might think twice before using them, perhaps thinking that they would be branded as bombastic or purple-languaged. Shakespeare didn’t care: the more inventive and original the better for him.