[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 351 KB, 1200x1166, harvard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13063007 No.13063007[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>major
>GPA
>school
>thoughts/regrets

Harvard

Hist/Lit

Living the dream man. Just joined a Final Club this year, getting to read all day and get paid to do it. Feelsgoodman.

>> No.13063017

/lit/ - literature

>> No.13063018

Quit your bragging faggot. You types are all the same, riding the coattails of institutional prestige rather than thinking for yourselves or accomplishing anything original.

>> No.13063029
File: 412 KB, 3024x4032, 1531962573153.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13063007
same school
not same gpa, but school is all that matters
i love this place i drink keystone light every thurs-sun nights in my 8-man party suite

>>13063018
all original thought comes out of HYP..

>> No.13063037

>>13063029
This.

/lit/ is full of insecure brainlets

>> No.13063079

>>13063029
>all original thought comes out of HYP

Probably still true, but less and less. And original, while better than derivative, is not always Good.

University system as a whole is in decline. Not just saying this because I'm a reactionary.

I'm some time out of school, but:
>applied math
>3.6
>Stony Brook
>wish I did classics and pure math, wish I did not rush to graduate early

Likely I will just go live in a cabin and pay myself to read all day.

You should look into the Boston meet-ups, if the anons are still doing them.

>> No.13063083

>>13063018
Almost every notable person from the last 200 years attended Ivy or Oxford. This is pure cope.

>> No.13063102

went to oxford uni long time ago, queen's college

did PPE, got a 2:1 (grades go 1, 2:1, 2:2, 3, fail) bc I didn't work very hard and spent too much time getting drunk or rowing

honestly very good connections bc of family and where I grew up had a bigger impact on my professional life I think, but it was fun to study there and I like the annual Boat Race alum watching parties.

Also it tricks other Americans into thinking I'm smart instead of just some dude who miraculously conned his way in w good test scores+being good at interviewing then sorta bumbled through the next 3 years

if anyone's there currently is old man bridge still a thing?

>> No.13063118

HVAC Technician
Classes are pass/fail
Local trade school
It's alright

>> No.13063127

>>13063083
Cambridge has always had the brighter minds. In any case, many notable people don't attend universities at all so gfys.

>> No.13063139

>>13063007
how do this?

>> No.13063141

>>13063083
What a terribly retarded conception of the world.

>> No.13063159

>>13063079
>Electrical Engineering + Philosophy
>3.4
>Virginia
I should've done Philosophy + Maths. Not a fan of EE anymore, but I only 1 and a half semesters so might as well finish. Overall, not too difficult, but should've put more time into study, oh well.

>> No.13063188

>>13063007
I am convinced that students at elite private universities are intellectually inferior to us proles at merely respectable schools

Spiritually inferior, that's obvious. The only people who could survive the modern admissions process are neurotic termites who have been groomed since birth to believe that associating with a selective superbrand university will prove they're geniuses. Fundamentally, these are eusocial creeps obsessed with status and attention. They are not people so much as they are insentient and fleshy nodes of social information. Look at their faces and you will see they've got that "Innsmouth look," a sort of hollow and perfectly groomed, over-socialized self-satisfaction characteristic to sociopaths and Nancy Pelosi. Sometimes I feel the urge to pop their heads like pimples and see all the likes and "good boy" pats on the bottom come pouring out like pus.

Intellectually inferior, though? But don't the exceptional test scores which their parents bullied them for prove that truly we are among gods?

>"No!"

For one thing, if standardized test scores were an actual measure of intellectual ability and not distantly correlated with it, then the only thing that universities with 4% admissions rates should need to look at are the test scores themselves. And once upon a time they WERE. Harold Bloom, Ezra Pound, and T.S. Eliot--these were mediocre high school students who were of the correct social class and who performed relatively well on entrance examinations, and thus were admitted to the halls of Yale, UPenn, and Harvard, respectively.

But in the age of the Chinese Striver, the Prep Class, the Teacher Recommendation, the Tiger Mom, the only thing that matters are "leadership skills," "extracurriculars," and "personality." The test scores are just the credentials which allow you to even be considered (because, as admissions officers know, just about anybody can do well on a test).

The whole system is so stupid and outrageous that the only people who are dumb enough to trust it are the students who survive the meatgrinder themselves. People want to go to Harvard because Harvard is selective--not because Harvard is a particularly good school with an interesting history where you would learn important things. Harvard is not a university, Harvard is a networking opportunity, a live-in job fair, a real live, interactive LinkedIn page.

What's more is that just about EVERYBODY has caught on by now--except the students at these schools! The rubes! The morons!

One day we're going to look back and laugh at how stupid the whole farce, the whole PERFORMANCE was

>> No.13063194

>>13063127
I'm oxford PPE guy and I guess my family bears this out bc father went Cambridge and he's brighter than me for sure albeit a bit less socially adept

then again I wasn't that impressed w the avg cambridge student I met compared to the average oxford one and dark blue is the cooler colour so fuck you

w all that said, I do think ppl overexaggerate the importance of what university you go to. Met plenty of ppl who went to big state schools in the USA who could hold their own at Oxford easily, main difference is just that probably the biggest tards I knew at Oxford would be mediocre but not notably terrible at the big state school. That and you'll get more contact with actual professors and the professors are generally of higher quality, tho that varies from program to program and even Oxford had some less than stellar instructors

If the biggest impact on job opportunities is from your school's name, you probably shat the bed when it comes to networking and gaining experience

>> No.13063209

I apologise, I went too far in my 'type like a retard' shtick by saying 'overexaggerate' and even I'm disgusted now.

>> No.13063239

>>13063007
going to any ivy league school is not impressive at-all, going to an ivy league school for graduate studies is impressive as fuck

>> No.13063276

>Literae humaniores
>is that like UCAS? I got a*aa
>I never wanted to go up, but actually I'm enjoying it now I'm here

>>13063102
I'm Oxford as well, St. John's. Yep old man bridge is still kicking about.

>>13063083
I'd choose another hill to die on. Shakespeare wasn't oxbridge.

>>13063007
Not clever enough to get the order right in your own thread. Harvard's a complete dump.

>> No.13063280

>>13063007
is this the larp thread?

>> No.13063284

>>13063194
Let's be honest, Cambridge blue is really green

>> No.13063291

>>13063007
>>13063029
jewish?

>> No.13063293

>literature
>garbage
>georgetown
>wish id gone to chicago to take school seriously, a nescac to have more community or just a retard party school like vandy

>> No.13063369

>>13063239
this

>> No.13063373

>>13063276
didn't know many John's ppl but Eagle and Child was a very convenient place to meet friends from Anne's since it was about halfway between us, so I have you guys to thank for that I guess.

GPA isn't like A-levels, it's your overall grades at uni, bc students at American unis get their grades for every individual class every semester instead of only getting grades at the very end like we do

>> No.13063387

>>13063083
What, so maybe one out of every 100,000 graduates from Oxbridge and the Ivies actually makes a name for themselves. The caliber of people might be slightly higher, but they're not all super geniuses by any stretch of the imagination.

>> No.13063404

Where is the Princeton frog anon. He has disappeared it seems.

>> No.13063424

Imagine going to the best university in the US or UK and still posting on an anime image board. Clearly your experience hasn't been so great, has it? All you are doing is projecting your insecurities through a college name. Sad!

>> No.13063428

>Political Science, International Relations Concentration
>4.0
>Carleton University (Ottawa)
>Wish I'd either applied to the uOttawa for the bilingual discount or closer to home in Geneva, North America is draining

>> No.13063429

>>13063007
Good going op. On the other hand, my only accomplishment may be to serve as a warning:

>Physics

>1.6

>University of North Dakota

Sorry for blog, hope some idiot finds this useful.
Went to an private prep hs and got burnt out, didn't care about college but went cause had nothing better to do, didn't do gap year. Chose physics cause intellectually interesting even if I'm bad at math, but hated most classes and halfway through this semester stopped going, feel much happier. Classmates at harvard, stanford and I'm dropping out.

>> No.13063432
File: 16 KB, 633x758, 318271da980706f7a18a811c3456a77d.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13063007
Fuck you, I also want to study at Ivy League but I come from a fucking Third World shithole. Fuck you REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.13063499

>>13063429
Your situation is kinda what I'm worried about for myself. I am enrolling in college next year and am super burnt out. Oh well! I don't think I even have the option to drop out if things go bad though; there would be so much lost money

>> No.13063665

>>13063239
Then not being impressive at all seems like a great stepping stone to being impressive as fuck.