[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 121 KB, 200x307, 1542759058480.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13043348 No.13043348 [Reply] [Original]

>"I agree that ghosts only appear to the sick, but that only proves that they are unable to appear except to the sick, not that they don't exist."

>"Ghosts are, as it were, shreds and fragments of other worlds, the beginning of them. A man in health has, of course, no reason to see them, because he is above all a man of this earth and is bound for the sake of completeness and order to live only in this life. But as soon as one is ill, as soon as the normal earthly order of the organism is broken, one begins to realize the possibility of another world; and the more seriously ill one is, the closer becomes one's contact with the other world. I thought of that long ago. If you believe in a future life, you could believe in that, too.

>"And what if there are only spiders there, or something of that sort?"

>"We always imagine eternity as something beyond our conception, something vast, vast! But why must it be vast? Instead of all that, what if it's one little room, like a bath-house in the country, black and grimy and spiders in every corner, and that's all eternity is? I sometimes fancy it like that."

unironically scared me to death since my insanity has had some sort of link to spiders, im now wondering if Dostoevsky was as insane and if the thing he describes is actually real and a very universal peek to the otherness rather than some individual delusion

>> No.13043546

>>13043348
Dosto spent time in Siberia, his barracks was like that. He refers to it a few times
>In summer, intolerable closeness; in winter, unendurable cold. All the floors were rotten. Filth on the floors an inch thick; one could slip and fall ... We were packed like herrings in a barrel ... There was no room to turn around. From dusk to dawn it was impossible not to behave like pigs ... Fleas, lice, and black beetles by the bushel
I wouldn't read so much into it.

>> No.13043553

>>13043348
I hate that I don't remember any of this. Fuck memory. I feel as though I need to re-read and re-watch everything I consumed in highschool ffs

>> No.13044447

>that scene in the Idiot where Ippolit dreams of big scorpion spider trying to kill him and everyone else don't see the danger

I always felt like Dostoevsky would have been a great paranormal horror writer.

>> No.13044532

>>13043553
I don't remember anything from high-school. It was such a fucking waste of time.
Only started reading seriously at the age of 25.

>> No.13044542

Spiders, like snakes, are an extremely common phobia.

>> No.13045499

It's not about fear of spiders, you eediots. It's about spending an eternity alone in an abandoned shed disconnected from the outside that has nothing in it but spider web, and also a metaphor for a purely physical, spiritless human life, a parallel to Raskolnikov's own coffin of a room, and Svidrigailov's room in the hotel, etc.

>> No.13046773

>>13043348

I heard a ghost right after I ejaculated into my gf as a teenager. I was at peak health. A ghost clear as day. She heard it too.

>> No.13047846

>>13046773
Did the fhist say “yes, fill her pussy with your seed, yeah!”? Because that might have been her cuck friend jacking off inside her wardrove.