[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 480x528, neil-gaiman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1302963 No.1302963 [Reply] [Original]

Why does /lit/ hate Neil Gaiman? What's wrong with him?

>> No.1302974

eh. he's okay, but sandman is better than any of his novels by a huge amount, and he gets mad hype that he does not deserve. his books are not that good, and people say that they are.

>> No.1302975

We don't.

He's cool.

If you don't like him you either have issues with him being "too weird" which I guess is mostly the case for the kind of people who only read classics and Jonathan Franzen; or you've noticed that he really doesn't give much of himself in his stories. It's never really sincere. It's just good postmodern storytelling.

Of course, this is only a simple generalisation, but that is the idea I have from hearing people, reading him myself etc.

Hope that helped.

>> No.1302979

>>1302975
>If you don't like him you either have issues with him being "too weird" which I guess is mostly the case for the kind of people who only read classics and Jonathan Franzen; or you've noticed that he really doesn't give much of himself in his stories. It's never really sincere. It's just good postmodern storytelling.

also all of his best stories deal with already-existing mythologies. he's only good when he's dealing with worlds that already exist.

>> No.1302982

I read Sandman and really loved that series. American Gods was his first book I read; really enjoyed it, but thought it dragged out a bit. His short stories are really good (some are on his website).

>> No.1302987

>>1302979

Yes. In other words he does this his own postmodern thing that he does the best where he cuts and pastes from everywhere, creating these mythology-laden cool, modern thingies.

So yes. Awesome stuff or at least I think so. Just not the kind of writer you feel is your friend afterwards if that makes any sense...