[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 31 KB, 618x224, harry-turtledove-pix_bottom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1301621 No.1301621 [Reply] [Original]

ITT: Your guilty book pleasures

I'm partial to 'trash', especially if it's interesting trash and has ties to world history.

I have fucking devoured everything written by Harry Turtledove even though it's "WAR GUNS BOOM SEX NIGGERS FUCK SHIT".

Also, to a lesser extent, David Weber, but the way he writes about ship combat is actually intelligent, so that might be a pass. Also, 'it's like I'm REALLY reading the French Revolution'

>> No.1301723

Matthew Reilly. I was recently re-reading his first novel 'Contest' and goddamn the writing is subpar. Regardless, it is good. His books are the closest thing I've encountered to a military government conspiracy fueled action film that isn't a military government conspiracy fueled action film

>> No.1301726

are you me OP?
you should check out Red Inferno if you havent, its about at the end of ww2, just one small decision change in history made by truman by sending a small division into berlin to make stalin good on his word forces stalin to do all out war on the allies, the left overs of the wehrmacht side with the allies obviously.

>> No.1301755

Jim Butcher. I don't even know why, I like a lot of the fantasy I've read, and his books are like Krispy Kreme donuts to me (easy to eat, gone to quickly, and make me throw up when I eat too many, but they're so fucking tasty), but I find myself trying to justify my liking them to even ridiculously casual neckbeard readers. I guess I'm just a hipster. This is your fucking fault though /lit/.

>> No.1301763

>>1301723
Fuck yeah Matthew Reilly. I know, there's just something about it which makes you want to read.

>>1301726
Yeah? Cheers bro, I'll give it a look, sounds interesting

>> No.1301775

>>1301755
AGREED
I mad that elaine is gone
but w/e im on book 5

>> No.1301881
File: 23 KB, 308x475, n30122.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1301892

Timothy Zahn, especially his books in Star Wars universe.

>> No.1301895

>>1301892
Yeah, I agree with that.

DAT THRAWN

>> No.1301901

Warhammer 40k novels.

>> No.1301910

>>1301901
I found the Halo novels to be pretty good.

Considering

>> No.1301911

Horror books by Graham Masterton.

>> No.1301913
File: 25 KB, 420x685, 471-4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This shit is crazy!

>> No.1301916

jonathan safran foer

>> No.1301928

Babylon- Viktor Pelevnin
We the living- A___ R____
The future of an illusion- Sigmund Freud

>> No.1301949

That term really always annoyed me, because I believe if you truly enjoy something you shouldn't be guilty about it. Even if nobody else enjoys it, hell even if the rest of the world thinks it is complete shit you still have you're own good reasons for enjoying whatever that particular thing is. Regardless, I have a few books that I like that I wouldn't particularly boast about enjoying.

I love the entire Harry Potter series due to literally growing up with the series (reading the novels from age eight until eighteen). I know a lot of people believe the series is for children and shallow, but I believe that these people should perhaps go back and take another read. If you are a child reading the books you may find no depth in them, but going back and reading them as an adult I can find plenty of depth. Perhaps not as much as other books, but enough that I enjoy reading it as an adult.

I also enjoy the Mass Effect books written by Drew Karpyshyn. I may be a little more "guilty" about enjoying this series; it doesn't have much emotion or depth really and mostly is just fight after fight. The characters aren't terribly deep feeling and the plots are only somewhat interesting. However, I enjoy the books because I enjoy the video game series and it adds a little something to my gaming experience.

>> No.1302001

Probably 50s-70s sci-fi pulpy paperbacks. Sure, every adventure involves mad sex/drugs and really has no purpose, but everyone has a laser pistol; I like that.

>> No.1302023

>>1301892
Once you get past the lip acrobatics.

Agreed with the Star Wars, although I tend to buy more from the EU than I can read.