[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 21 KB, 400x311, 1255129981500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1294413 No.1294413 [Reply] [Original]

Any comments on any of these?
Catch-22
Wuthering Heights
Great Expectations
On the Road
Picture of DOrian Gray
Lolita
Crime and Punishment
Ulysses

>> No.1294424

>Catch-22
lol no
>Wuthering Heights
That's a song
>Great Expectations
Nope.
>On the Road
Overrated book from a shit hipster genre.
>Picture of DOrian Gray
More like The Penis of Dorian Gay, amirite?
>Lolita
Nope.
>Crime and Punishment
Read it if you like russian lit.
>Ulysses
Thesaurus (not a dinosaur).

You're welcome.

>> No.1294431

>>1294424

Oh dear gawwd

>> No.1294432

>>1294424
0_0

>> No.1294450
File: 62 KB, 594x435, arnel-pineda-journey.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1294424
DONT STOP THE HATING
HOLD ON TO BEING AN ASSHOOOOOLE
HATING ON
INNOCENT BOOOOOKS

But seriously, great job being an elitist

>> No.1294453

>>1294413
Lolita and Crime and Punishment are the outstanding ones there; Ulysses is fine, but be aware that it's value is commensurate to your academic ability.

>>Not to imply that the value of all other books is not, but that Joyce's reputation comes especially from the top.

>> No.1294455
File: 28 KB, 325x222, 1271369276708.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why did you make this thread twice?

Are you literally inexperienced with how image boards work?

>> No.1294459

Catch-22
>excellent war satire
Wuthering Heights
>one of the best romance novels, solid character framework that drives the story
Great Expectations
>didn't read
On the Road
>boring diary of a young adult of the 40s, respected by hippie/counterculture folks
Picture of DOrian Gray
>good book, a must read
Lolita
>another great romance story, adventures of a pedophile, no negative connotations here
Crime and Punishment
>Dostoevsky's masterpiece on love and morality
Ulysses
>no comment

>> No.1294462
File: 348 KB, 504x384, vlcsnap-2010-11-05-16h27m56s153.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1294455
The funny thing is, the books I suggested he doesn't read (Clockwork, Atlas Shrugged and Grapes of Wrath) somehow didn't make it onto this list. How convenient!

>> No.1294505

>>Catch-22
Great war lit...not a war narrative which may be your thing..
Wuthering Heights
I personally was bored with it (femanon) but it's a great example of Romantic Literature and the themes that people of Bronte's time was interested in. Here's a clue, if you liked Twilight for the love relationship, you'll be intrigued with this.

Great Expectations
Long? Yes. Wordy? Yes. but I LOVED it...This, to me, is one of those "life lesson" books that you really should read before you die. Just understand that the language is older and a little outdated. Get past that and it's very good.

On the Road
Great vacation book. A good peek into the past American generation. Very fun.

Picture of DOrian Gray
Very good. Short read so a breeze. The writing is sublime and there are many little things in the subtext that makes for great conversation.

Lolita
Terrific. Terrific use of language....It will get you angry...it will make you FEEL. Anyone with an interest in language should read...anyone interested in the vice of man should read.

Crime and Punishment
Same with Great Expectations...the language can be stitled and archaic but if you get over it you really can get a lot out of it. The characters are wonderful and, at least for me, there was no character that i didn't have an emphatic feeling about...Very vivid, very well constructed...a masterpiece (not "better" than the others, but definitely worthy of that title)

Ulysses
Very interesting. However, if you don't put the energy into it, you're just wasting your time. My father considers this book akin to looking at your doo floating in the toilet after going to the bathroom. I vehemently disagree and find that there's a great place for Ulysses. There wouldn't be "modern literature" without it...If you want to read Joyce, read Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man or the Dubliners (Really really good) which are both much more welcoming than Ulysses (which requires previous reading)

>> No.1294508

1. you saved my reaction image & reposted, im noticing this alot.

2. you reposted this.

3. why do people think their own comments are worth bumping this turd?

>> No.1294516

>>1294505

Sorry but I am new to fine /lit/. Could you give an example of what sort of previous reading is required for Ulysses? Is it just general knowledge about history, or anything particular?

>> No.1294520

>>1294508
> why do people think their own comments are worth bumping this turd?

why dont you tell us that (having bumped this turd yourself)

>> No.1294530

>>1294516
The Odyssey wouldn't hurt; Ulysses is heavily based on it. Also, Dubliners and/or Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, in order to get acclimated to Joyce's style. Beyond that, a brief understanding of Ireland at the time wouldn't hurt.

>> No.1294533

>>1294516
Specifically? Homer's Odyssey Ulysses is the Roman name for Odysseus and the novel is a modern retelling of the story in Dublin. Everything is painstakingly realistic...from the way the character walks to streets to the way he thinks..it's written stream of conscious so it can get overwhelming.

>> No.1294536

>>1294533

Walks THE streets* joyce literally took a map of Dublin and walked the route his character did and made sure even the time spent in each place is accurate

>> No.1294539

>>1294516
well, you might have to have a very specific knowledge of the life in DUblin in the year 1904, irish history, theology, latin, greek, classic antiquity....

well, actually, you dont need to know all that, just get the annotated version, read every chapter whole, check outt he notations, reread the chapter and marvel.

Very helpful to get used to the style is "A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man". It also has one of the protagonists of Ulysses in it, Stephen Daedalus. If you can not stand it, forget Ulysses (don't be ashamed, you dont have to like it)

>> No.1294541

>>1294516
- Read all religious texts both western & eastern
- Have a general understanding of philsophy from Plato to Sartre
- Have spent at least a year in Dublin, Ireland
- Fucked the farts out of an Irish whore's arse during your stay
- Familiarity with all the Greek classics
- Know the classic languages
- Read the rest of Joyce's work
- Read majority of the western canon
- Have a Ph.D. in English from a Prestigious University (Oxford or Cambridge in the UK)
- You must be at the age of 60 at least (for life experience required)

now stop bumping this thread.

>> No.1294542

>>1294539
>>1294533
>>1294530

You guys are on this! Thanks bros.

>> No.1294543

>>1294516

I'm not trying to discourage you from reading anything...but Ulysses is a very challenging read...it's best not to vault over something 10 feet high when you haven't jumped something less than that...A novel that has a similar stream of conscious style, I'd advise Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Wolfe, for Joyce in general, check out Dubliners (wonderful), and maybe a few novels from before and after joyce's time

>> No.1294556

Ulysses is, in a single word, kaleidoscopic.

It demands your absolute undivided attention should you decide to partake of its fruit.

>> No.1294573

>>1294556
You're the fruit

>> No.1294682

Ulysses is a big fat waste of time. In some ways it's labyrinthine and fascinating, but mostly it's a long, self-indulgent and boring exaggeration of all the possible literary techniques in the English language. Like Shakespeare but without an interesting story or any discernible plot.
Mostly people will tell you it's amazing because they heard in school from their professor that it is amazing, so don't listen to them.

>> No.1294689

Dorian Gray is one of the greatest novels I've ever read in my life. I'm actually in an Oscar Wilde class talking about it right now.

>> No.1294718

Catch-22
>hilarious and one of my fave books, but liking it is dependent on whether or not you think it's funny. put it down after 50-100 pages if you're not into it
Wuthering Heights
>haven't read it
Great Expectations
>epic character drama, not really goofy or strange enough to be my thing but well-written and I liked it for what it was
On the Road
>haven't read it
Picture of Dorian Gray
>great shit and extremely readable, pick this up and you'll finish it in a day or two, excellent characters and ideas
Lolita
>the best book on your list (unless one of the ones i haven't read is better), transcends whatever pedo stereotypes you associate with people who like it
Crime and Punishment
>the second best book on your list. great characters, great ideas, great story
Ulysses
>worth it only if you've already read and liked dubliners and portrait, and you want your head to hurt. read it in a class or with a guide, it's almost impossible otherwise. i kinda enjoyed it but didn't feel like i got out as much as i put in effortwise, so it's hard for me to recommend it

>> No.1294756
File: 41 KB, 400x400, 1273713760311.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1294453
cp fetish

>> No.1294762

>Catch-22
Read it.
>Wuthering Heights
Don't read it.
>Great Expectations
Don't read it.
>On the Road
Don't read it. Goddamn beatniks...
>Picture of Dorian Gray
Read it.
>Lolita
Read it.
>Crime and Punishment
Read this one first.
>Ulysses
Don't bother, unless you are a lit major.

>> No.1294778

>>1294533
Actually, the Latin word for Odysseus is Ulixes. I'm not quite sure of the etymology for Ulysses but my guess is that it is an amalgamation of the Greek and the Latin words.

>> No.1294794

>>1294778
Wow. I was completely unaware of that. Thank you for that highly interesting and relevant fact. I always thought that Ulysses looked strange orthographically but I never realized that Ulixes was the more authentically Latin word.

P.S. You are my favorite poster on this board. Keep up the good work!

>> No.1296049

>>1294453
this

>> No.1296579

>>1294762
You have horrid taste.