[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 34 KB, 500x403, 1278635191589.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1287315 No.1287315 [Reply] [Original]

Trying to decide on a book to get my friend for Christmas.

I want to get a compilation of short stories I think, preferably by multiple authors. A book of necessary shorts is nice, like things everyone should read.

Got any recommendations?

>> No.1287326

VS Pritchett's The Oxford Book of Short Stories is a decent anthology of short fiction. It's not the hippest collection around, but it's along the lines of what you're describing.

>> No.1287333

>>1287326
Yeah, she is fairly well read in terms of modern literature and will read almost anything and enjoy it. Just want to give her a little something to expand her reading base.

>> No.1287339

>A book of necessary shorts is nice, like things everyone should read.

You won't come close to finding this, sadly, due to all the different authors and publishers that would need to be involved.

>> No.1287346

If your friend is female, I'll recommend a book that gets recommended a lot on /lit/....Lorrie Moore's Collected Stories. Trust me, it's the perfect gift for an intelligent well-read woman. Moore's stories are funny AND heartbreaking. Somebody posted one on here yesterday or the day before, you can still find it via the rapidshare board, if you want to read one of Moore's stories and get some idea of what she's like. But seriously: highest recommendation. And Moore is an incredibly well-regarded contemporary author whom a lot of readers haven't encountered.

>> No.1287353

>>1287339
I noticed in my own searching that you are quite right.

I may end up buying her several books to make myself feel better. Heh, I just can't decide what to get.

Anyone feel free to recommend anything that you are interested in, shorts or not.

Also, she is 17 and her favorite author is Bukowski. If you would like to make some recommendations based on this, and no she does not like Twilight.
Personally I don't really enjoy Bukowski much, find most of his work to be repetitive and it does not captivate me in the least.

>> No.1287359

>>1287346
Thanks, I will look in to it.

>> No.1287957

Anyone got any more suggestions?