[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 342 KB, 666x386, 1531263389638.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12857897 No.12857897 [Reply] [Original]

throughout my life i made friends through circumstance and jokes. i have been pretty friendless for years and want to change that.

started learning about epicurus recently and his ideas are something i can really get around. any suggestions for books or ideas to help me be more comfortable and friendly to others? i'm a social leech and don't offer anything out of fear of rejection for being myself (knowing damn well i've had friends before by being myself).

>> No.12857914

>>12857897
Cicero's De Amicitia and the relevant parts of Voltaire's Philosophical Dictionary, quoting from which: "Friendship is the marriage of the soul, and this marriage is liable to divorce. It is a tacit contract between two sensible and virtuous persons. I say sensible, for a monk or a hermit cannot be so, who lives without knowing friendship. I say virtuous, for the wicked only have accomplices — the voluptuous, companions — the interested, associates; politicians assemble factions — the generality of idle men have connections — princes, courtiers. Virtuous men alone possess friends."