[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 138 KB, 714x571, water nigga.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12853924 No.12853924 [Reply] [Original]

although their ideas are pretty nonsensical now-a-days these mothers fuckers were creative as shit. Thales thought the world was a land mass floating on water like wtf waterbending ass nigga. Anaximander thought the world was created from the "infinite" and the world was surrounded by rings of fire masked from our view(tf). Anaximemes had a fetish for air and thought condensed air could create earth...

Have you guys read the presocratics? Whos your favorite "natural scientist" as Aristotle calls them?

>> No.12853943

Your kind is not allowed here.

>> No.12853959

>>12853943
if you let the way I speak distract you from what I want to discuss and the value of said discussion that you do not deserve to discuss literature. Literature is an artform extended to various backgrounds and if you filter different backgrounds on your bias regardless of not the value of the words but the value of what their willing to discuss, well your not gonna make it

>> No.12854027

>>12853943
>t. pseud
This is one of the first good thread ideas in days. Why would you try to ruin it?

>> No.12854040

>>12853924
screenshooting this because this thread rules so much

>> No.12854066

File name lmfao

>> No.12854172
File: 251 KB, 800x600, seven world rings.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12853924
This is pretty intriguing and cool post OP but you kinda hit me with this outta nowhere. I'm sorry to out the burden of conversation back on to you but can you talk a bit more about it? This sounds pretty cool.

>> No.12854204

>>12853959
>your
Yeah, I'm sure he's missing out on a lot by filtering your post. And before you say a spelling mistake is irrelevant to your argument, making such a basic error is a indication of your stupidity and a sign that people shouldn't bother reading your shit.

>> No.12854225

>>12854204
ok dude just get out no one cares pretensious ass 13 year old fedora wearing mouthbreathing ass nga

>> No.12854229

>>12854225
pretentious* before you try to correct me with those sweaty ass dry cum smelling ass bitch ass hands

>> No.12854260
File: 52 KB, 599x439, 14315.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12854172
Sure, recently I've been reading about the presocratics specifically right now the mileasians. What makes these philosophers especially special is they are essentially the "first" being the farthest people can date back philosophical thought i.e. the transition from mythos to logos. Thales, like a-lot of the presocratics based their principles off certain elemental aspects. Thales the founder for this "natural scientist" type of style believed Water is the first principle as it governs all things, of-course he reached this consensus by recognizing everything in one way or another has relation to water and also a-lot of theorys of origin flooding flew in and out of his small city of Miletus. He believed that the Earth floated on water like a piece of driftwood, this of-course made him believe that earthquakes were a result of the Earth rocking back and forth on this mass of water. Anaximander and Anaximemes were very similar except for a few things here and there, but for the sake of making this short I'll leave you with an excerpt by Aristotle on Anaximander so you can see why I find the Milesians so interesting
>
"Anaximander said that the first principle an element of existing things was the boundless; it was he who originally introduced this name for the first principle. He says that is is not water or any other so-called elements,but something different from them, something boundless by nature, which is the source of all the heavens and the worlds in them. And he says that the original source s of existing things are also what existing things die back into 'according to necessity;for they give justice and reparation to one another for their injustice in accordance wit the ordinance of Time', as he puts it, in these somewhat poetic terms.-"
>
Theres much more to all the Milesians but its hard to describe everything about each of them in one pose albeit there is very few fragments left of them. Anaximander also got very close to Darwinian thoughts---> "He says, further, that in the beginning man was born from creatures of a different kind because other creatures are soon self-supporting, but man alone needs prolonged nursing. For this reason he would not have survived if this had been his original form (Plutarch, 2).". I suggest you google about if you want to know more about them im sure all their stuff is available
on the internet. Anaximander never did explain what he meant by the boundless btw.
>>12854204
lol

>> No.12854267

>>12854027
I shall allow it if this basketball court language ceases.

>> No.12854286
File: 135 KB, 1080x1331, 1552781380608.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Me? I side with the sofists. My bros Protagoras and Gorgias can beat any philosopher, pre or post Socrates.

>> No.12854290
File: 361 KB, 1547x604, 4534535.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12854260
>>12854172
Some good sources for ye:https://www.ancient.eu/Anaximander/
https://www.ancient.eu/Anaximenes/
https://www.ancient.eu/Thales_of_Miletus/
>Very few fragments of their work are left so it only takes a bit of reading from said fragments to make you understand the basics of what they meant. Currently i'm reading Phoenix Supplementary Volumes of alot of the orginal thinkers but I always go back to the Milesians out of fondness for their creativity

>> No.12855046

Anaximander is interesting.

>> No.12855540

>>12854286
Notice, Socrates is not included in this set.

>> No.12855545

Presocratics were interesting. I like Anaxagoras, Empedocles, and the Eleatics.

>> No.12855694

You might be interested in a short story by Ted Chiang called "Tower of Babylon". It's about building a tower into heaven in a setting in which antique cosmology is real (i.e. celestial spheres, geocentricity, the firmament, etc.). It's in his collection Stories of Your Life and Others.