[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 96 KB, 400x300, english_literature.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1284728 No.1284728 [Reply] [Original]

There are two literature courses I'm considering taking next semester, but I'm not sure what to except in terms of the reading. Could those of you who have taken these classes or ones similar to them tell me what books I'll most likely have to read?The courses are: Modern Asian Literature and Science Fiction. I assume Haruki Murakami for the Asian Lit one, but I really don't know any other modern Asian writers. And the science fiction class would probably be writers like Philip Dick and Arthur C. Clarke? I don't really read science fiction, but I'm interested in the class.

tl;dr: What can I expect to read from a course entitled Modern Asian Literature and a Science Fiction course?

Thanks guys.

>> No.1284736

Don't they give a literature list, or at least a description of the course?

>> No.1284748

>>1284736
Either they don't or I haven't found one. I just transfered from a small private college to a huge university that doesn't give a shit about it's students, so I haven't figured everything out yet.

I'm going to class now, so hopefully when I come back someone will have given me some help. Thanks guys.

>> No.1284751

Well the asian literature at my school focuses on Feminism.

I'd do the sci fi one.

>> No.1285113

back from class bump

>> No.1285122

Essential sci-fi:

Dune (Frank Herbert)
I, Robot (Isaac Asimov)
2001 (Arthur C. Clarke)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Philip K. Dick)
Starship Troopers (Robert Heinlein)
Ender's Game (Orson Scott Card)

A few others for personal taste and you should be fine.

>> No.1285129

>>1285122
Is this what I should expect to read from a 3000-level Science Fiction class, though?

>> No.1285136

>>1285122

Great list, dude. Only five of those suck dog cock in hell.

>> No.1285137

>>1285129

It's what you need to know about in order to not look ignorant. I'm not sure about how high a 3000 course is, not being American.

>> No.1285139

>>1285136

Nice alternative suggestions. You are helpful, and not a troll at all.

>> No.1285141

>>1285137
Third year university level

>> No.1285178

What are some good modern Asian literatures, while we're all here?

>> No.1285183

Take both.
I am.

>> No.1285730

Do they not list the teachers assigned to these courses? Are the courses being offered this semester?

It really depends on the professor. I've done a few Asian Literature courses which varied greatly; completely devoted to homosexuality, reading stuff that Japanese students would need to read, or just reading shit the professor enjoyed.

I never did take the Science Fiction course, so I'm not sure what you'd expect.

>> No.1285738

>>1285730

Whoops, really wanted to suggest e-mailing a professor about your question. Maybe my university wasn't big, but I never ran into the whole teacher-doesn't-care-about-students thing. If anything they want you to create a bond, so they can get you into their grad programs.