[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 37 KB, 193x266, pinecone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12845424 No.12845424 [Reply] [Original]

Okay, so I just read The Crying of Lot 49. It was alright, but I really like Pynchon's writing style and have an itch for more of him. What should I read next?
His big books, Gravity's Rainbow, Mason & Dixon, and Against the Day seem like his best works, but they are huge and I don't really want to dive into anything mega right now. I'm not sure about his other works. Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge don't seem that interesting, and I'm not sure about V or Vineland, Vineland seems like an interesting book but I've heard its his weakest work.
tl;dr I read TCOL49 what pinecone should I read next

>> No.12845451

read it again

>> No.12845526

>>12845424
>pinecone
stop this

>> No.12845527

I'm no pynchon expert but I'm reading V. right now after The crying of lot 49 and it's pretty good so I'd recommend it.

>> No.12845594

Apparently Pynchon hated The Crying of Lot 49 and he wrote it quickly because he needed the money.
Inherent Vice is pretty shit desu. Go for whatever book you feel like next.

People act like Pynchon books are some intellectual milestone only geniuses can read. I completely disagree. Buy one of the GR study guides if you get lost while reading GR. It's not too complicated. If you don't like the book it's because...well...you don't like it. His writing style is actually really shit, but he makes enough autistic references that people think he's the next Joyce.

I'm saying all of this as a fan of his.

>> No.12845790

>>12845451
this

>> No.12845798

>>12845594
>His writing style is actually really shit
lol

>> No.12845816

I’m reading V right now and loving it, makes me laugh at least every other page. I feel like his writing style is deliberately steep and muddied with asides, references, metaphors to help drum up that sense of helplessness in the reader as they try to decode it all. Like it makes you worry that even if you get it you’re not getting it. Pynchon is great for autists like me because I want to see how many layers there are to his craft. Like you can just tell when someone has fine tuned every word in a novel.

>> No.12845931

>>12845424
V. is amazing, Id argue its the best Pynchon entry level