[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 43 KB, 306x475, 310612.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12826522 No.12826522 [Reply] [Original]

I just finished this book. I have to admit I'm a bit of a brainlet and I'm not quite sure if I 'got' the message.

>> No.12826793

>books all have messages

what

>> No.12827014

>>12826793
It certainly seemed like it was trying to say something. I certainly could be reading too much into it because I would legitimately be surprised (in a good way) if one of /lit/'s top books was just fun. Also, I would argue that explicitly not having a message still counts as message.

>> No.12827038

>>12827014
The book sucks

>> No.12827073

>>12827038
I quite enjoyed it. Would you care to elaborate?

>> No.12827438

>>12826522
The message is something we could all learn from here: instead of sitting in solitude, wallowing in your own perceived greatness and pontificating on the world at large which you do not see, you must go out and experience it to truly understand it.
Throughout the book Ignatius alters his very stubborn initial opinions on matters such as race, labor, leadership, and love, by finally being forced out of his safe space to experience them himself instead of passing judgement from afar. He initially sees all blacks as the stereotype commonly accepted at the time and has his perception altered after a short period of time within their company. His lofty writings and ramblings reflect this change of heart nearly as quickly as the change happened, which was overnight. Exactly the same thing happened with the job at Levi Pants, his obvious lack of respect for the idea very apparent the first day, but quickly altered in tune by the next day as he praises the virtues of being a working man on the clock (virtues he scorned openly the day before).
This all culminates in the abrupt ending, where he casts off into the real world, leaving his hometown for the second time in his life and possibly forever, leaving behind all the thoughts and trinkets scattered about his carpet which he once found sacred.
Don't become set and stagnant: there is so much of the world you have not seen and you will never truly understand it until you experience it for yourself.

>> No.12828254

Did you find any correlation between the main character, in his speech and thoughts, and our modern day /pol/tard?

>> No.12828269

>>12828254
i don't think poltards are monarchists

>> No.12828727
File: 9 KB, 220x207, 220px-Mencius_Moldbug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12828269

>> No.12829255

>>12827038

The book is hilarious, you pedant

>> No.12829339

>>12828254
Perhaps a little, but the causes are very different. It's clear that Ignatius does have a very stunted sexuality, but that's more because of a lack of experience and exposure instead of /pol/'s overexposure, for instance. /pol/ is much more influenced by peer pressure (read: other /pol/ users) where the only people Ignatius has exposure to are ones that disagree with him. And the biggest is that Ignatius changes his mind all on his own when exposed to the real world. /pol/ tends to be the opposite, in part due to the fact that they do have some valid complaints.

There are some superficial similarities and I could see why someone would make the comparison, but I don't really feel it.

>> No.12829809

>>12826522
one of the funniest books ive ever read. sadly, i remember really empathizing with ignatius during senior year of high school. still do in some ways, everyone wants some enlightened figure to whisk them away into adventure's hand but will never take on the journey on their own.

>> No.12829821

>>12829809
i also feel that when this book is read in a more recent context, it seems "the point" is more important than ever with the advent of the www.

>> No.12829953

>TFW everyone who met Ignatius ended up better off from it aside from the literal criminals
Uh... except for that poor hot dog stand owner I guess. He just had a pretty miserable week or two.

>> No.12830089

>>12826522
>the message
Yeah you didn't get it op

>> No.12830524

>>12827438
Disagree. Ignatius doesn't go out and experience shit, he shirks responsibility and effort as much as possible and suffers from extreme narcissism. His writings don't reflect any events that actually happened, they are a mirror of his delusions of grandeur. He has not gained any sort of understanding. It continues this way right up until the end.

The one perception altering event that happens is when Myrna comes to save him and he (eventually) shows her gratitude. This is the ray of hope that maybe Ignatius could change.

Overall I don't think the book has a message, especially not one so trite. It's a tale of what living a completely selfish life results in.

>> No.12830829

>>12830524
I wouldnt say he shows her gratitude. She makes it very clear his 'strange' overly controlling tendencies are what drove her away initially. As he starts barking direction from the back of her car and licking her fuckin hair. She even expressed her own doubts at that point. What he writes and how he feels are changing constantly and have always been different depending upon the situation

>> No.12830835

>>12829953
Nah, he at least gets his shit back. if I recall, hes last overheard from Ignatius mother via a phone call stating he will get his costume back as soon as possible.

>> No.12830858

Him yelling at the tv and saying the kids should be gassed was funny shit. Reminded of retards from here

>> No.12830866

>>12830858
>Maybe the real A Confederacy of Dunces was us all along

really???

>> No.12830871

Is that a chocobo attacking Mario?

the world is square

>> No.12830930

>>12830829
>I wouldnt say he shows her gratitude.

>He stared gratefully at the back of Myrna's head, at the pigtail that swung innocently at his knee. Gratefully. How ironic, Ignatius thought. Taking the pigtail in one of his paws, he pressed it warmly to his wet moustache.

You didn't understand this book at all

>> No.12831937

>>12828254
>marches for black rights under a Moorish banner
>our modern day /pol/tard

>> No.12832046

>>12826522
I checked this out from my colleges library and lost it. I didn’t have a job at the time so my parents had to pay $60. I felt so worthless