[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 76 KB, 318x475, one-hundred-years.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12807451 No.12807451 [Reply] [Original]

I don't really wish to discuss One Hundred Years of Solitude, but I have a question to all the people who enjoyed it.
You're aware that there's also a lot of people who don't really get into it, right? Or even, people who just hate it.
Now, what advice would you give to someone who's about to read it? Any helpful tip, anything they should or should not expect? Anything 'required' to fully appreciate it, in terms of knowledge or just state of mind? Any preconceived idea they should get rid of?

>> No.12807464

lmao its a fucking book just read it you mong

>> No.12807468

just read it ya whiny cunt

>> No.12807469

display it prominently on your book shelf it will get you pussy

>> No.12807471

>>12807451
If you don't like it after the first chapter, I'd say stop reading (the first chapter is my favorite).

>> No.12807549

My first advice is, read it until the end. This is one of those books where you realize that the author had the ending in mind right from the start and did not just sort it out when he was in the middle of the thing; it’s a very well-crafted and imagined whole. The ending is one of the greatest I have ever encountered, not only because of the beauty of its paragraphs, but also because of the meaning that it throws on all the rest of the narrative. So, even if you lose some of your interest in the middle, go on reading until the end: you won’t regret it.

Another thing, this book covers a lot of ground in a – relatively – small number of pages. It’s one hundred years of history, after all. So the technique the author uses to flesh out his characters is mostly telling, because showing would make the work enormous. He doesn’t do the same as Flaubert or Tolstoy: analyze scenes is several microscopic details of every single gesture, expression, perception, thought, etc. He also almost doesn’t use dialogue and inner monologues. To some readers this makes his characters shallow, but I disagree. Some of the most famous and debated characters in history of literature are the characters of the Bible, and they are mostly presented with the same simple technique of telling rather than showing. In fact, One Hundred Years of Solitude is an example that no rules for the creation of great literature are absolute, not even the cliché-mantra “Show, don’t tell”.

>> No.12807581

>>12807471
It's very hard for a book to engage me after the first chapter, let alone the first sentence. But that first sentence man... kino as fuck.

>> No.12808162

>>12807471
>>12807549
Thanks. I'm half way right now, making breaks and reading other books, but I'll probably try to finish it next week.