Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

2017/01/28: An issue regarding the front page of /jp/ has been fixed. Also, thanks to all who contacted us about sponsorship.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 63 KB, 350x494, hf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
12764922 No.12764922 [Reply] [Original]

Hello /lit/!

I've taken an interest in The Adventures of Huckleberry Fin this year, and have just finished the book.

More specifically, I would like to focus on one moral issue or social ill that Mark Twain highlights in the book, as well as Huck’s views and behaviors regarding that issue.

Does Huck show maturation (or lack of) over the course of the novel? Is the author trying to say anything about this issue as portrayed through Huck’s journey?

I know this sounds like a high school essay prompt, but I would just like to gain a deeper understanding of this book for myself. I am an avid reader and love to explore literature and its deeper, underlying meanings.

>> No.12765081

It has been a while since I have read it but I always interpreted it as Huck being generally oblivious to the true nature of Jim's plight: seeing it more as an adventure to be had than an escape to freedom. I think this interpretation works well as it is juxtaposed with Jim's severity on the journey and his growth as a character throughout the story. Even when faced with adversity or downright hostile people, Huck tends to take it in stride like a kid playing some elaborate game. Jim is always aware of the stakes of his journey and seems to seek repentance like a man on his deathbed, the most notable example of which being when he explains how he will be better to his daughter when they reunite because even though he beat her when she misbehaved, he was able to see that she was more than a little nigger, but a human child, and should be treated as such.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action