[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 106 KB, 632x167, o.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12725896 No.12725896 [Reply] [Original]

what is your approach when reading in a foreign language? english is my second language however I got fluent in it very young so when I got interested in literature I could already read whatever without problems (shakespeare, joyce, dfw...).
As of recently I learned italian, I'm not fluent but I'd say I would be able to communicate fairly decently if I was thrown in italy, but the thing is, I'm reading books in italian and I don't know what is the best way to approach it
>1. look up pretty much every word I don't know, making the reading a bit tiresome and very slow, sacrificing a bit of the enjoyment to improve vocabulary
>2. plow my way through and keep reading even if I miss a few words in the sentence, which makes the reading more fluent but I'm leaving a lot of words behind.
For 'context', I usually can get the meaning of the sentences even losing a word or two, generally speaking, only occasionally I can't understand a sentence at all.
Advice?

>> No.12725963

Read at a level where you can infer the meaning of most unfamiliar words from context rather than having to look them up.

>> No.12726305

usually I read through a small chunk of text such as a paragraph checking all the words I don't understand, then if I took too long I go through it again. if I stumble upon any words I think would be useful to memorize I add them to my anki deck. if you don't understand too many words to the point where you can't make sense of most of the sentences you should just try reading something simpler instead.
graded readers are a good option for starting out if they exist in the language you're learning

>> No.12726319

>>12726305
i also want to add that it's very useful to read on a kindle because you can add all sorts of different dictionaries and you can set it so that it memorizes all the words you looked up, makes the process much easier

>> No.12726490

Just use a dictionary

>> No.12727896

>>12725896
English is an exceptionally tiresome language to read like that because it has two billion synonyms for all words. just keep on using the dictionary until you don't have to use it anymore. it's how you improve your vocabulary. though yeah reading something simple might help you to not hate every book you read in Italian

>> No.12729221

Bump

>> No.12729437

>>12725896
Buy bilingual books or monolingual versions specially made for those learning the language (with annotation giving the translation of rarer words and structures, idk where you're from but we've got those in France)

>> No.12729627

thanks for the advice frens