[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 27 KB, 372x192, waters1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1269983 No.1269983 [Reply] [Original]

You have a Costa sign outside your store
but you make it highlighted differently on the map of all your floors.
Why are you using banner-blindness on your own services guys?
Is it because those ladies in "the basement" are running their own show?

Anyway I found it the second time around & your prices are pretty good,
£2.10 for a cappuccino & some nice seats to read book.

So I was sitting reading TBK, all in my own world.
when all of a sudden a girl with blonde, hair glasses & hipster garabe purposefully sits across from me all alone.
I don't know if she expects me to look by fidgeting QTsey in her chair & using a "focused" reading posture all the time
but I ignored it since I firmly believe I shouldn't be the one to try initializing conversation with a complete stranger.

Wow. even after you left the table you hung out at some books until I was ready to leave,
still don't know what you expected me to say as physical appearance & one hobby is not a good relashie treatise.

So I just left & went to my unis toilets for a quiet place to softly cut myself,
not sure if I'll tell the doc I do so & skip all my classes tomorrow.

Then I got home to talk to my best friends /lit/
I love you guys 4ev3r even tho you treat me like shit.

- xX~TyBrax~Xx

>> No.1269987

>>1269983
The waterstones in Glasgow literally has like 10 MASSIVE signs inside pointing to the basement going "COFFEE! THIS WAY!"

You need to upgrade your situational awareness.

also with appearance + shared hobby you could have tons to say to someone, learn how to socialize.

>> No.1269992

>The waterstones in Glasgow literally has like 10 MASSIVE signs inside pointing to the basement going "COFFEE! THIS WAY!"
>You need to upgrade your situational awareness.
kk. maybe i was to busy worrying if ppl were looking at me or something.

>also with appearance + shared hobby you could have tons to say to someone, learn how to socialize
I don't see what appearance has to do with it & everyone in the same fucking store basically shares the hobby or something.

>> No.1269994

sage goes in all fields

>> No.1270006

>>1269992

>I don't see what appearance has to do with it & everyone in the same fucking store basically shares the hobby or something.

You could start conversation by complimenting their look / a specific piece of clothing.

And yeah everyone in a book store likely shares a hobby of liking books, the thing to do then would be asking them something about books.

Conversation is a very general thing, you start with big things and work down into subjects.

I thought the meet up guy was talking to you, aren't you picking this shit up by osmosis yet? When I met up with him he was an awesome conversationalist, blew away my initial nervousness at meeting an internet person really quickly.

>> No.1270015

Oh man, I can't wait to go to a book shop to talk to a bunch of people who want to buy books!

maybe I will buy some books as well

>> No.1270017

>>1270006
>You could start conversation by complimenting their look / a specific piece of clothing
This is logically sound but in practise only sex-starved men do this cockroaches

>And yeah everyone in a book store likely shares a hobby of liking books, the thing to do then would be asking them something about books
I don't see many strangers talking about books in the store either.

>I thought the meet up guy was talking to you, aren't you picking this shit up by osmosis yet?
Actually he said i wasnt even the most nervous person to ever meet-up. I don't know though maybe i'm permanently retarded.

>> No.1270027

Worst case scenario when talking to a stranger: They think you're odd and you never see them again.

>> No.1270043

>>1270017
>This is logically sound but in practise only sex-starved men do this cockroaches

I've done this and seen many other people do this, it's a nice way to easily start a platonic conversation with a girl.

>I don't see many strangers talking about books in the store either.

It's not common but it does happen and it gives a socially awkward person like you a common point to talk about with someone.

>Actually he said i wasnt even the most nervous person to ever meet-up. I don't know though maybe i'm permanently retarded.

Yeah he told me of some pretty odd people, you have some hope ty, at least TRY to be social, talk to people, you don't need to become friends with them or shit just have a conversation, say goodbye, move on.

>> No.1270049

>>1270027
>Worst case scenario when talking to a stranger: They think you're odd and you never see them again.
But that moment lasts forever....

Also I didn't feel that "scared" today more indignant about what she was doing.

>>1270043
>I've done this and seen many other people do this, it's a nice way to easily start a platonic conversation with a girl
>compliment on looks
>platonic
BS but I guess I'll take your word for it.

>> No.1270054

>>1270015
>Isn't creative enough to make a poem about his day
>sages thread in frustration

>> No.1270057

So TyBrax how often do you plagiarize Carles' style?

>> No.1270060
File: 106 KB, 1024x683, head-in-hand-statue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1270057

>> No.1270069

>>1270049
Son, in the full scope of your life that moment is irrelevant. It is but a few seconds lost. It's nothing. That person will forget you moments later. You should be able to forget them to moment they leave your presence.

And that other anon is right. You can compliment someone's looks and be platonic. I do it all the time. I did it a few hours ago, in fact.

>> No.1270068

>>1270057
It's a movement sille, do you not read Tao Lin's work? Oh yeah it's fiction.....

Still I'm sure I speak for everyone here in wanting to hear about A Day in the Life of an Ubermensch.

>>1270060
D&E is 2deep4u?

>> No.1270076

>>1270069
Hey why dont you stab yourself since its only a few seconds in your life?

>> No.1270077

>mfw i was that gir
No fucking way are you tybrax.

>> No.1270079
File: 117 KB, 1559x914, statue2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1270068

>> No.1270086

>>1270049

It works if you are friendly and non-threatening and the woman thinks you're attractive. If you're the slightest bit creepy or if she thinks you look like a troll it won't work.

The looks thing can be mitigated by being warm and friendly and some women find a very wide range of ugly dude attractive for some reason. But you have to be chill and not seem like a gross freak.

It does work.

>> No.1270089
File: 6 KB, 240x160, TyBrax16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1270077
sup.

>>1270086
People can smell aspie like dogs can fear.

>> No.1270092

>>1270076
Because, unlike speech, that would be self-destructive and painful and counterproductive.

Don't talk back to me, boy.

>> No.1270094

I've never talked to a stranger in a bookstore. I've gotten odd looks, does that count?

>> No.1270097

>>1270092
no the trade-off isnt worth it. the pain in the moment is too much compared to the potential nice convo.

>Don't talk back to me, boy
D: sorry sir.

>>1270094
no write a poem about the last cool day you had.

>> No.1270098

>>1270094
Depends, do you look odd?

If you always get odd looks then it does not count, if you don't then it counts as them giving you a gift of an odd look and it counts.

>> No.1270101

>>1270097
The pain of the moment will pass in seconds.

The glory will last forever.....

>> No.1270104

Hey Ty, come to Edinbrugh and we'll have gay relations. You're so adorable.

>> No.1270106

went 2 "vibes n scribes" and had a look at theyre "shitty" selection of "used books"////
bought sum books - The Metaphysical Club, Ecce Homo, Why I Am So Wise, The Elements Of Style (hope I am "old skool" and not just, like, an "old fart") - hope the store clerk, who was a bit on the "chubby side" and a bit of a "vapid maroon", noticed my authentic(????) status as a "thinker",

I am an ubermesh
I am an ubermesh
I am an ubermesh
Are we human//// or are we ubermesh

hope he didn't think i was an "fake-ass motherfucker" for buying 2 nietzsche books at once and a book by old ppl that is "conventional"

Had a lil cry on the bus home cos I realized Why I Am so Wise is a chapter in Ecce Homo and the Metaphysical Club is a "biographical a/c" of the founding members of "pragmatism" and not a theoretical history of the tradition -__-

Am I "authentic"
Am I "authentic"
Am I "authentic"
Am I living in bad faith am I living in bad faith am I living in bad faith
what is an umbermesh?
Cute girl sat on the bus next 2 me 2day, dunno if it was cos I have been "growing out my hair" and am look "non-threatening" or cos I have some "chin fuzz"

h8 subhumans
h8 subhumans
<3 lit theory

>> No.1270102

>>1270097
The pain is only in your perception of the moment. You place too great a weight on it. Like I said before, if it amounts to a failure, the moment is irrelevant. Don't sweat the small stuff, mah boy.

>> No.1270108
File: 14 KB, 308x350, williams.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1270106
>mf the moment this appears on my screen

>> No.1270110

This happened to me in City Cafe once. I went over and said hello, she said hello back, and that was pretty much it, my friend came in and sat down and she left.

>> No.1270111

>>1270098
I don't look too odd, no. I apparently give people the feeling that there's something off with me or something. Not all the time, but it happens.

But yeah, apparently there's something wrong with me for crouching next to the pitiful philosophy section for too long, because the fatasses in the tables near it always end up looking at me for some reason or another.

>> No.1270112
File: 27 KB, 461x495, aw yeah.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1270106
>are we ubermesh

>> No.1270113

>>1270101

It's true. I've met the most amazing people while doing something I thought would be ultimately painful. And it was for a bit, but then it wasn't anymore. Now it's awesome.

There's no time to waste thinking what if....

>> No.1270117

I was reading Kerouac at my local coffee shop and some girl came over just to tell me Kerouac was a hack and a bad writer and then she left.

I've never wanted someone so much in my life.

>> No.1270132

>>1270101
>The pain of the moment will pass in seconds.
>The glory will last forever.....
I cant remember any successful situations really. I probably remembered bad ones for like a week.

>>1270102
>>The pain is only in your perception of the moment. You place too great a weight on it
>implying that i make a logical decision when i choose how i will measure things

>>1270104
notsureiftrap. wud u be gentle with me? :/

>> No.1270140

>>1270117

>implying women can come up with opinions on their own

>> No.1270142

>>1270132
didn't you have a good time with the meet up guy from scotland?

Other people have went on that he was so nice a lot since he started doing those meet ups, see him mentioned every now and then in threads.

>> No.1270137

>>1270132
>notsureiftrap. wud u be gentle with me? :/
Always

>> No.1270161
File: 12 KB, 311x475, n126150.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NZer here. Approaching a stranger during the day seems a bit creepy to me, is it really that common? The only time we ever really 'approach' people we don't know is when we're at bars and want a casual root. I don't know anyone who has ever 'gone on a date' here, let alone formed a relationship with someone they met on the street. This is how our relationships work:

>meet male/female in social circle
>have a root (usually while drunk)
>may or may not keep boning in the future (i.e. a relationship)

I'm pretty sure it's like that for everyone here. But maybe my friends and I are just lazy. \o_o/

And to keep it /lit/ related, the pic is of what I'm reading right now.

>> No.1270162

>>1270142
>didn't you have a good time with the meet up guy from scotland?
That wasn't a "successful" situation. I was awkward & bored him alot though i did enjoy listening to him & his stories. Like he's nice, travelled & an intelligent/knowledgeable guy whereas i'm like the opposite of those things. (well im not a rapist or anything but you get the point)

>>1270137
Meet me in a tree in prince gardens/park/near castle <3

>> No.1270177

>>1270161
I'm from NZ too, I think you and your friends are just lazy, not heard of it being like that here.

>> No.1270183

>>1270162
I really have to get a day off from work to meet this guy, heard nothing but good things.

And I'm sure you bored the hell out of him, you are a horrible human being after all. Commendations to him for putting up with you though.

>> No.1270195

>>1270177
Sweet. It's nice to know that not all of us are so unromantic. I blame the student drinking culture, and John Key.

>> No.1270200

>>1270161

auckland here. you guys are lazy :P

>> No.1270216
File: 15 KB, 350x264, ghost.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1270106

>mfw

>> No.1270224

Hey I was in Waterstones today.
They didn't have the book I wanted :(

>> No.1270233
File: 61 KB, 500x626, TyBrax4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]