[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 52 KB, 800x450, skinner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12610235 No.12610235 [Reply] [Original]

Over the past few weeks I have had to do double takes at an increasing rate when reading text that has been produced by others online.

For example the two pieces of text below, I had to reread to make sense of it:
>More gay than french is impossible I hate it I don't want to but i have to learn it
and
>If I concentrate when I listening music, I would no longer heard the music.

I have noticed that when reading text produced by others online, especially user-submitted forums, I often find myself having to do a double take and reread to make sense of the text. Sometimes I find that my head will begin to hurt when trying to make sense of the text too.

As noted, this is something that I've noticed in the past few weeks, which has left me feeling rather concerned. I am unsure if this is simply a case of being hypersensitive and noticing poor writing that had been already present, or if it's something more nefarious, such as my brain deteriorating in some form. Previously, outside of extreme cases of utter nonsense, I didn't have to reread pieces of text to understand, nor did I take much notice of the "quality" of text online. I could understand and make sense of just about anything. What has happened to me?

>> No.12610257

Most people just skip what they can't understand. If they're reading a book, they won't stop at every unknown word or confusing sentence, to autistically analyze it. It's normal, our time is finite, we shouldn't be wasting it interpreting poorly written texts.

>> No.12610379
File: 420 KB, 1873x279, oh dear.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You're not going nuts. The site in general is undergoing a sudden influx of young ESL posters that refuse to proofread their posts or improve their English. /a/ in particular is written almost entirely in pidgin English these days.
If you want an actual challenge, read Proust or Henry James. Get through those and it'll prove to you that you're fine.

>> No.12611499
File: 29 KB, 400x465, 1512315244396.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I have the same issue sometimes, but one I have more frequently is this feeling of distaste and contempt whenever I read posts written as if they were texted from one thot to another. I don't even like the u/r proliferation rather than you/are because it's becoming too normalized. Imagine reading an obituary in 5 years that headlines "omg we r missing u alot". Disgusting.