[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 71 KB, 653x490, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12589193 No.12589193 [Reply] [Original]

Silvia, do you recall
those days of mortal life,
when beauty sparkled in
your quick and gleaming eyes,
when, glad and pensive, the threshold
of youth you were to rise?

The quiet halls resounded,
and so the streets around,
to your perpetual chime,
while at your female chores intent
you sat, content
of vague tomorrows
in your mind.
It was the odorous May, and that
was how you spent the day.

Discarding sometimes
my beloved studies,
the toilsome papers where
my prime was being consumed,
the best of me,
up on the terrace of the family house
I’d set my ear
to the sound of your voice,
and to the hasty hand
that ran the tiring loom.
I’d view the peaceful sky,
the golden streets, the gardens,
down here the distant sea, up there the mount.
No mortal tongue can say
what in my breast I felt.

What sweet reflections,
what hopes, what choruses, oh Silvia!
How human life and destiny
appeared to us to be!
When I recall
that hope,
affections clutch me so
acute and inconsolable
that still my grief I cry.
Oh nature, nature, why
do you withhold what
first you promise?
Why do you so
deceive these sons of yours?

’Fore winter’s cold had dried the grass,
attacked and conquered
by some closed disease
you died, oh tender one. You did not see
the flowering of your days;
your heart was not caressed
by words of praise for your dark hair,
your loving and reserved looks;
and neither did you talk of love
with friends on days of feast.
Soon were to die my hopes alike:
to my years too
did fate deny a youth.
Alas, how you swept by,
companion dear of my fresh age,
my wept-for hope!
This is that world? These the delights,
the love, the works, the events
we so long reasoned of together?
This is the lot of human folk?
When truth appeared,
you fell, poor one,
and with your hand,
a frigid death,
a naked tomb
you showed me from afar.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7CHmfgxF2ek

>> No.12589265

Niggers

>> No.12589288

>blablabla feels blablabla pussy worship blablabla love
Romantic poetry was cringe and yikes, and I'm glad its dead.

>> No.12589328
File: 50 KB, 970x545, SAVEME.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.12589371

>>12589265
>>12589288
>>12589328
Cringe

>> No.12589533

>>12589193
Leopardi and Vittorio Gassman: patrician taste OP

>> No.12589688

>>12589533
To Silvia is such a beautiful poem, anon... Who wouldn't like it?

>> No.12589978

>>12589193
That's beautiful.

>> No.12589992

Patrician taste, OP. What a poem.

>> No.12590293

>>12589193
What traduction is this?

>> No.12590354

>>12589193
SYLVIAAAA
GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE OVEEEENN

>> No.12590358

I'm italian and the translation is horrible. Study italian or GTFO

>> No.12590378

>>12589193
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTvEG-wARgI

>> No.12590501
File: 103 KB, 576x600, leopardi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12589193

>Odio la vile prudenza che ci agghiaccia e lega e rende incapaci d’ogni grande azione, riducendoci come animali che attendono tranquillamente alla conservazione di questa infelice vita senz’altro pensiero.
>I hate the vile prudence that freezes us and binds us and makes us incapable of every great action, reducing us to animals who quietly attend to the preservation of this unhappy life without any other thought.

Giacomo Leopardi was one of the best Italian poets, possibly the greatest intellectual of his age. He wrote not only poetry of incredible beauty (Canti), but also prose (Operette Morali) and a giant diary of thoughts (Zibaldone). He was also the most influential Italian philosopher after Ficino and Bruno, in that he inspired both Schopenhauer and Nietzsche. I cannot describe with words how much I like his work, I can only suggest to you to look into his life, his poetry, his prose and his philosophy yourself because only them can do justice to the greatness of Leopardi.
There is a fairly good movie on his life from recent years, which goes through the many painful things he went through (sickness, unrequited love) and explore the delicacy, beauty and depth of his poetry. It is not a perfect movie by any means, but it is worth a watch if you are curious about him and don't have the books at hand (those are still the best start, get yourself something with the italian text on the side if you read the poetry).
This is his poetry "L'Infinito" (The Infinite)

(recited in Italian in the movie Leopardi) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIvzQvi75rQ

Sempre caro mi fu quest'ermo colle,
E questa siepe, che da tanta parte
Dell'ultimo orizzonte il guardo esclude.
Ma sedendo e mirando, interminati
Spazi di là da quella, e sovrumani
Silenzi, e profondissima quiete
Io nel pensier mi fingo; ove per poco
Il cor non si spaura. E come il vento
Odo stormir tra queste piante, io quello
Infinito silenzio a questa voce
Vo comparando: e mi sovvien l'eterno,
E le morte stagioni, e la presente
E viva, e il suon di lei. Così tra questa
Immensità s'annega il pensier mio:
E il naufragar m'è dolce in questo mare.

Always to me beloved was this lonely hillside
And the hedgerow creeping over and always hiding
The distances, the horizon's furthest reaches.
But as I sit and gaze, there is an endless
Space still beyond, there is a more than mortal
Silence spread out to the last depth of peace,
Which in my thought I shape until my heart
Scarcely can hide a fear. And as the wind
Comes through the copses sighing to my ears,
The infinite silence and the passing voice
I must compare: remembering the seasons,
Quiet in dead eternity, and the present,
Living and sounding still. And into this
Immensity my thought sinks ever drowning,
And it is sweet to shipwreck in such a sea.

>> No.12590549

More quotes:

>E perché l’andamento e le usanze e gli avvenimenti e luoghi della mia vita sono ancora infantili, io tengo afferrati con ambe le mani questi ultimi avanzi e queste ombre di quel benedetto e beato tempo dov’io sperava e sognava la felicità, e sperando e sognando la godeva; ed è passato, né tornerà mai più, certo mai più; vedendo con eccessivo terrore che insieme colla fanciullezza è finito il mondo e la vita per me e per tutti quelli che pensano e sentono; sicché non vivono fino alla morte se non quei molti che restano fanciulli tutta la vita.
>And since the courses and the customs and events and places of my life are still childish, I hold with both hands these leftovers and these shadows of that blessed and blissful time where I hoped and dreamed of happiness, and hoping and dreaming of it, I enjoyed it; and the moment has passed, nor will it ever return, certainly never again; seeing with excessive terror that together with childhood the world and life are over for me and for all those who think and feel; so that no one lives until death, except those who remain children their whole lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_vyK5id6Yw

>> No.12591824

>>12590354

Underrated, have a (You)

>> No.12591905

>>12590358
Find a better one on the internet then, you fucking retard. This one is nice.

>> No.12591912

How do I write truly meaningful and powerful romantic poetry? I always try but it comes across as vapid, and banal. Doesn't feel legitimate enough, and I want to write something for Valentine's day that really hits the mark.

>> No.12592037

>>12591912
English-speaking people usually think that Leopardi's poetry is just "muh feels" (see certain posts above). However, that is a huge misconception, mostly deriving from British and German romanticism. Every poem Leopardi wrote is strongly supported by tons of pages from his Zibaldone, and based on complex philosophical notions. This poem, for example, sounds like a love poem, but it isn't. First of all, he never met Silvia, but more importantly, it is not *just* a love poem: it's a text full of references and symbolism from classical mythology and pre-Hellenic mysteries. In order to write a good poem, life experience and feelings are not enough.

>I want to write something for Valentine's day that really hits the mark
That's cute, anon, I hope you succeed in writing something that your beloved will like

>> No.12592062

>>12589193
women are just so wonderful, i swear that no poetry can ever encapsulate how incredible they really are

>> No.12592161

>>12590501
>He was also the most influential Italian philosopher after Ficino and Bruno
Well, actually between them and Leopardi there are Machiavelli and Vico, equally influential.

>> No.12592443

>>12592037
Well thank you for you input anon, I really appreciate the input, and thank you for the vote of confidence! I'll definitely reflect on what you've said, and I hope I can put something together that is worth your response. Cheers, friend!

>> No.12592463

>>12589193
This poem sounds a lot better in original. English is a shit language for expressing deepest feelings.

>> No.12592499

>>12592463
The English language is based on concreteness. Take Shakespeare and Dante: the former is appreciated for his descriptions, the latter for his thoughts.

>> No.12593370

>>12589193
>writing poems to women
lmao

>> No.12593400

>>12590501
I wanna watch the movie, is there anything egregiously wrong with it or should I go for it? I read a collection of his poetry and loved it.

>> No.12593538

>>12592062
Based.

Yeah, despite their proficiency at describing scenery and topics such as grief and loss, the Romantics could never fully capture the essence of just how amazing women are (I'm not sure if any literature has to the fullest extent).

OP's poem is still beautiful though. It's so vague, yet it's descriptions manage to evoke particular feelings clearly.

>> No.12595117

>>12593370
If you can only see a "poem to a woman" you're pretty retarded

>> No.12595427
File: 450 KB, 1499x1000, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12593400
There is nothing egregiously wrong with the movie, but you should not expect a Hollywood movie, nor an avant-garde art film. The story was captured in a very simple and plain style, which reminds of Italian TV series, especially the historical ones. It can be a little underwhelming for Italian viewers, because that's Leopardi and you would expect something a little more exciting about such a genius. However it's a nice summary of his life and a good entry point if you want to start getting into him. Also, the scenery is beautiful because it's obviously filmed in the picturesque landscape of Recanati, and in Naples for the last part of Leopardi's life. If you can find a subtitled version just go for it.

>> No.12595431

>>12589193
She's in your heart. He's in her body.

>> No.12595434

>>12589193
Silvia fucks niggers

>> No.12595439

>>12592062
Simply based. I love women.

>> No.12595453
File: 124 KB, 1500x1383, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12590549
>that blessed and blissful time where I hoped and dreamed of happiness, and hoping and dreaming of it, I enjoyed it

>> No.12595977

>>12595427
based sounds exacty what id like

>> No.12596333
File: 35 KB, 645x552, 555E38D1-2790-4C6E-9614-9977A5E078B3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12590501
The tale of the icelandic by Leopardi still speaks to me like few other stories I’ve ever read

>> No.12596339

>>12596333
*like few stories do

>> No.12596412

>>12596333
The one of the Earth and the Moon is another favorite of mine