[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 229 KB, 650x675, 1547427694855.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12588749 No.12588749 [Reply] [Original]

So I was thinking about honor.

What does it mean?

Honor
I
Honor means Merited respect; being esteemed
I
respect means Deserving recognition; esteemed means being held in high regard due to virtue
I
respect is Acknowledgement of a state or rank; virtue is good, and positive qualities of a person
I
Acknowledge of state or rank means the noticing of earned place that requires work to achieve (ex: belt in Jiu-Jitsu, or position at work; good qualities means truth, non-user, discipline, respectful, etc.

So this is my concept of Honor. Check it out and tell me if I went wrong somewhere, try to disprove me.

>> No.12588764

Personal ethics for self-esteem maintenance inwardly, respect and social discipline outwardly.

>> No.12588781

>>12588749
"Respect" literally means to look again. One who through industry, talent, demeanor, has become seen by others, who stands out from the crowd. It doesn't necessarily mean venerated or even esteemed. A criminal can be respected and feared, respected and hated. You seem to be on the right path as to Honor coming after Respect. A person respected achieves Honor when a familiar or subordinate by their own initiative act to fulfill the one they respect. When a person is so respected as to actually influence the behavior of those around them, causing others to seek to please them, that is being Honored.

>> No.12588790

>>12588781
Thank you!
Especially for the last part, "causing others to seek to please them, that is being Honored."
Just expanded my definition.

>> No.12589159
File: 130 KB, 750x749, 15BD3FC6-305B-41ED-BD6B-468455D0512D.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Loyalty is my honor

>> No.12589164

I disagree honor is merited respect. Honor is intrinsical and instead of that respect being honor, that respect is something gained from behaving honorable and is given oy individuals who agree with a similiar moralistic guideline. Honor in my mind is maintains a set of personal principles, disciplines, or ethics. By maintain these principles you are maintains your honor. There is a general sense of “honor” based on things like culture, society, and history and there is a sort of (((universal))) honor based around integrity, loyalty, chastity, honesty.

>> No.12589389

>arguing over language whoose definition is caused by its useage
cringe and philosophypilled