[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 344 KB, 931x805, rthrthwrsb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12586784 No.12586784 [Reply] [Original]

Kafkaesque is a term used to describe stories in which characters suffer in an oppressive surreal world, and these stories often feature themes of hopelessness and exploitation. They often feature a character's life coming apart at the seems and that character losing any semblance of control they once had over themselves.

This term fits perfectly fits with Jazz's life. He is being forced to become a woman, all for his parent's financial gain. His story begins with him making some strange remark about a dream, and the parents decide that they will use this dream as justification for earning themselves money and fame. Jarron becomes Jazz, and the parents begin the slow process of brainwashing the poor boy into thinking he's a girl. During this process, he has endured several incredibly brutal surgeries which are slowly destroying his body. On top of this, his exploitation is broadcast to the world and instead of being treated as extreme abuse, the whole situation is treated as some sort of triumph for human rights.

This whole situation is incredibly surreal, as a society is basically cheering on the slow torture of a young man. It is hellish and inhuman, and Jazz has literally no way to escape from this nightmare except by ending his own life. Despite the hormones, surgeries, and continual encouragement from his parents, Jazz still seems to have retained his male mind. He is attracted to women, and is suicidally depressed. This whole situation is reminiscent of Kafka's famous work The Trial, as both Josef and Jazz are unknowing victims to authority figures, Josef to the Law and Jazz to his psychotic parents. Both Josef and Jazz seek help from others, only to be either ignored or exploited even more. My guess is that Jazz will also eventually willingly die just as Josef does at the end, as his harried mind will slowly give in.

>> No.12587142

POPPED
O
P
P
E
D

>> No.12587146

>>12586784
My diary desu

>> No.12587197

Lost in a Roman wilderness of pain

>> No.12587208

>>12586784
Please no meat touchin', ma'am!

>> No.12587243

>>12586784
Lynchian

>> No.12588403
File: 15 KB, 220x293, 566BA857-B4CF-460E-8E0E-1A66AEC45E76.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why is he so fucking cute lads?

>> No.12588413

MY favorite Kafka work is Amerika. But I’m not sure why

>> No.12588803

>>12586784
The Lynchian copypasta was funnier.

>> No.12589912

Like in the metamorphosis, jazz will kill himself, his family will milk his death of all the cash it has, and will begin life anew off the sacrifice of poor jazz.