[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 161 KB, 600x900, ridethetiger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12558576 No.12558576 [Reply] [Original]

I read Revolt against the modern world and liked it a lot, so I picked this up next.

So far it's been nearly 80 pages of him just responding to Nietzsche. I've barely skimmed Nietzsche so I don't even know what he's talking about or why it matters. It looks like he gets off Nietzsche later on in the book, but a good chunk of it is...just an essay response.

I have seen this book hyped by a lot of people so I'm surprised

>> No.12558612
File: 29 KB, 545x403, F7ED9904-C978-44C1-93E9-C4E73C7CA158.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Short answer? Yes. His writings on magic and ‘reality’ are based though.

>> No.12558623

>>12558576
you're the dud. read nietzsche.

>> No.12558684

Honestly the English translation is so fucking terribly incomprehensible. Thus Spoke Zarathustra was a breeze in comparison.

>> No.12558969

>>12558684
>Honestly the English translation is so fucking terribly incomprehensible. Thus Spoke Zarathustra was a breeze in comparison.

I skimmed Man Among The Ruins and it looked far easier to understand.

>>12558623
I've got Beyond Good and Evil on my bookshelf but I've only skimmed it a bit

>> No.12559062

>>12558576
Do we have to have this thread every goddamned day? start with Guenon and then Evola will make sense.

>> No.12559162
File: 81 KB, 1470x188, Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 8.14.33 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12559062
pottery

>> No.12559179

>>12558576
Most of Evola's work is referential, you have to know what he's talking about or it's mostly meaningless

>> No.12559223
File: 204 KB, 2518x1024, 1542434917537.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12559162
Evola basically copied almost all of Guenon's ideas but did a worse job of explaining them, hence the eternal 3 times a week "I don't get RATMW, what does he mean by Tradition?" threads. If you think it's somehow a flaw that Guenon became a Sufi and took an interest in Islamic thought than I'm interested in how you reconcile that with Evola writing half a dozen books about eastern religions and generally preferring them over Christianity. Do you only have a problem with it when it's Islam or is it okay when Evola "cucks himself" by slavishly writing about how Hinduism and Tantra is super based. If you actually read the primary texts instead secondhand summaries you'd find that Sufism mostly agrees with the stuff Evola was into anyway btw.

>> No.12559383

Yes
YES

>> No.12559398

Why the hell are you reading Evola before Nietzsche? Go read Nietzsche right now bro

>> No.12559434

>>12558576

Evola is always interesting, but people get memed into reading him for the wrong reasons and read him wrong. They read him out of context and misunderstand his understanding of reality completely.

>> No.12559436

>>12559223
>Evola basically copied almost all of Guenon's ideas but did a worse job of explaining them

Evola no mere exponent though. He touches on a lot of matters that Guenon never did.

>> No.12559576

>>12559162
>d-d-don't read Guenon guys he became a filthy Muslim!!

daily reminder that Evola praised Islam and said it was higher than Christianity, the following quotes are mostly from RATMW (its quoted as RMM)

>The portrayal of Islam in Revolt against the modern world occupies but a few pages, but presents with sufficient depth the aspects of Islam that, from the Evolian perspective, allow it to be characterised as “a tradition at a higher level than both Judaism and the religious beliefs that conquered the West,” (RMM 245) that is to say, Christianity. In the first place, Evola points out that Islamic symbolism clearly indicates a direct connection of this tradition to the Primordial tradition itself, such that Islam is independent from both Judaism and Christianity, religions whose characteristic themes he rejects (original sin, redemption, sacerdotal meditation, etc.)

>“Finally, Islam presents a traditional completeness, since the shariah and the sunna, that is, the exoteric law and tradition, have their complement not in a vague mysticism, but in full-fledged initiatory organisations (turuq) that are characterised by an esoteric teaching (tawil) and by the metaphysical doctrine of the Supreme Identity (tawhid). In these organizations, and in general in the shia, the recurrent notions of the masum, of the double prerogative of the isma (doctrinal infallibility), and of the impossibility of being stained by any sin (which is the prerogative of the leaders, the visible and invisible Imams and, the mujtahid) lead back to the line of an unbroken race shaped by a tradition at a higher level than both Judaism and the religious beliefs that conquered the West” (RMM 244-245).

>Elsewhere, Evola sees in the idea of jihad a “late rebirth of a primordial Aryan heritage,” such that “the Islamic tradition serves here as the transmitter of the Aryo-Iranian tradition” (MW 96).

http://www.claudiomutti.com/index.php?url=6&imag=1&id_news=130

Wait? Are you telling me that the guy that a bunch of retards from /pol/ claim is the foil to Abdul Yahya and is untainted by Islam actually wrote that Islam is a Traditional doctrine higher than Christianity and the transmitter of the Aryan tradition?!? Wow! Hopefully this should finally put that myth to rest.

>> No.12559597

>>12559436
I never said otherwise, taking someone else's ideas largely as the basis for your own is not mutually exclusive with expanding on those ideas or taking them in another direction. There is a reason though that people always post threads asking about what Evola means and not Guenon's books despite much of /lit/ having read some of Guenon, it's because Guenon takes the time to thoroughly explain what he means by 'tradition', 'esoteric', 'metaphysics' and so on. Evola mostly doesn't do this but just assumes his readership already understands these terms in the Guenonian sense Evola uses them, this is why we have a thread every other day asking why Evola doesn't explain anything in whatever book people get memed into reading. I'm not shitting on Evola btw I actually like him a lot but it's just all so tiresome to see this thread over and over again

>> No.12559617

>>12559576
jesus christ you're sensitive
it's a joke because france has been invaded by arabs
go suck some muslim cock in paris you dumb faggot

>> No.12559622

>>12559617
>gets BTFO
>hurr durr you're so sensitive g-go suck muzzie cock...

nice cope

>> No.12559628

>>12559223
what the fuck did my post have to do with islam?
you all need to get your autism in check and learn to take a joke

>> No.12559634

>>12559622
um ok, except i don't feel btfo because i don't even really know who guenon is
write more essays though please i love huge blocks of text that's why i'm on /lit/

>> No.12559735

>>12559628
>>12559634

Gentlemen, I apologize if I reacted overly harshly. I myself am a big fan of the various Traditionalist writers including both Evola and Guenon as well as mystic literature from various religions. I have noticed a common attitude where people will side with one author over another and shit on religion X while ignoring that the author they are siding with praised it heavily. To me it's irritating because it cheapens and degrades the discourse which could be much higher, for example I think talking about metaphysics, esoterism and spiritual teachings is a lot more interesting than the flamewars that happen when people start going "fuck religion x and fuck that author who wrote about it!". I have noticed that this happens often particularly with Islam where a large subset of people will shit on Islam and Guenon and claim Evola is better despite Evola praising Islam and despite Sufism aligning with much of the stuff Evola liked like Tantra, Mahayana, Hermeticism etc; I guess I misread into your posts and thought you were implying more than you were, for that I am sorry. I only recommended Guenon to begin with because he genuinely really helps with understanding Evola.

>write more essays though please i love huge blocks of text that's why i'm on /lit/
I'm busy today but maybe in about 5-6 hours I may start a Traditionalist/eastern thought/mysticism thread with a lot of food for thought comprising interesting blocks of texts and source material, if not, until next time