[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 54 KB, 750x733, IMG-20190131-WA0034.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12522744 No.12522744 [Reply] [Original]

People who are majoring in lit what are your plans after school?
I would gladly major in lit but have no plans at all on where I would make money.

>> No.12522772

No one gets a job in the field they study any more, unless they're doing engineering or computer science. I don't thing even other STEM fields cut it; not sure how many jobs there are available right out of the gate in biology or pure math. You might as well just study what you like, anyway.

I'm ten years out of college and it took me too long to realize that the people who got the good jobs out of school were already rich and connected before they went in.

>> No.12522780

Major in Classical Philology, not Literature.

>> No.12522792

>>12522744

Going to be an English teacher, I'm excited for it because while it will be stressful and a drain I hope to point some kids in a good direction somehow. Preferably middle to lower class black kids (I'm black). On the one hand, it's unfortunate that most people in urban schools don't tend to care for canonical texts which Id love to teach but on the other hand it's exciting to be able to positively effect at least 2 or 3 kids lives per class. I'll possibly get worn out eventually and maybe teach somewhere else and deal with new issues but I want to teach in urban areas for a decent amount of time. Also plan on getting my PhD in Lit and maybe becoming a professor (I know the road is long and winding bur it's genuinely easier when you're black). Also want to use my social capital to give kids more nuanced understanding of socio-political issues and not be washed over by liberals telling them differences don't exist and diversity is inherently great. I have a lot of plans but ya it starts with the English BA. I sound cringy as shit but w.e.

>> No.12522798

>>12522792
>I sound cringy as shit
No, you don't, more power to you. We need more English teachers who know more than just whatever is current dogma. I'm just hoping your soul doesn't get too crushed, first by college, then by teaching, then by grad school. It's hard out there for everyone but even harder if you aren't a shithead.

>> No.12522823

>>12522792
Best of luck, my friend.