[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.28 MB, 500x828, 22fq9AW.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12499692 No.12499692 [Reply] [Original]

Hello fellow /lit/ frens.
Just wondering if any of you could give me some recomendations for short stories and/or authors devoted to that sub-genere.

Vielen Dank

>> No.12499698

>>12499692
read Chekhov. He's in the pantheon of truly great artists in the short story form. "Ward No. 6" and "The Darling" are two great starting points.

>> No.12500243

First I think its important to tell what short stories you have read

>> No.12500451

I love Amos Oz. He writes books of short stories where the characters of one short story show up in a separate short story in a minor way. they all exist in the same universe. very interesting.

Dubliners by James Joyce is popular.

Guy de Maupassant is worth looking into. I have a parisian affair and other short stories coming in the mail right now, actually.

an't vouch for him, but I know Sherwood Anderson inspired Amos Oz.

>> No.12500529

>>12500451
oh, and George Orwell. He has a book called Shooting an Elephant, which is a collection of his essays. The essay Shooting an Elephant (after which the entire collection is named) can be found online for free. It's a quick, but engrossing read. trust me, you'll love it.

>> No.12500540
File: 185 KB, 1222x900, Cabinet_of_Curiosities_1690s_Domenico_Remps.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lately, I've been looking for a specific kind of short story collection, that I like to call "cabinets of curiosities". Those short story collections with a frame narrative, in which every story is an exposition of a concept or idea. Little drama, development of characters take the back seat, the focus is on the exploration of curious ideas.
The definite examples I can give of this is Invisible Cities by Calvino. Also Cosmicomics. Expanding to other authors, I'd say The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury. Borges collections also give the feel I'm looking for, but the lack of a frame narrative excludes them from my definition.

>> No.12500583

>>12500540
The Street of Crocodiles
Pricksongs and Descants (while only some of the stories are interconnected it definitely has a "cabinets of curiosities" vibe)

>> No.12500586

>>12500540
you would definitely enjoy The Cathedral of Mist by Paul Willems, The Book of Monelle by Marcel Schwob, Exemplary Departures by Gabrielle Wittkop. Yea I like these kinds of books

>> No.12500615

>>12500583
>>12500586
Thanks bros, will check those out

>> No.12500742
File: 13 KB, 400x430, 9781447207566.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This, the title story especially

>> No.12500823

Yeah, I AM feelin' pretty dank today, thanks for noticing OP!

>> No.12500986

>>12500615

what? and my recommendations are chopped liver??

>>12500451
>>12500529

gee, thanks

>> No.12501018

Jorge Luis Borges

>> No.12501086
File: 418 KB, 676x2060, shortstories.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.12501097

>>12499692
Salinger?

>> No.12501604

I could post one right here,want it?

>> No.12501612

Raymond Carver
John Cheever

>> No.12501659
File: 434 KB, 2400x1598, Sherman_Alexie_credit_Chase_Jarvis_0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12499692
This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona

by Sherman Alexie

>> No.12501680

Milos Honey
Chapter one.
I jerk off in the mirror,nothing turns me on as much as this,although,recently,i discovered a new kink:Belt around my neck,strangle myself a little,masturbate,done.
I know it is dangerous,but that just makes me harder.
I don't watch anything while doing it,i rather use my imagination.I am Adam fucking lilith instead of that cunt eve:Satan gives lilith a cock,two for one huh?
As we jerk off each other,god and buddha enter the room.
I cum while staring into their eyes:Lilith is still horny so she asks them to join us:God can't resist those red pubes.
Buddha is mostly a lurker:he is too fat so he just jerks it while staring into God's ass cheeks.
The belt is getting too tight,i almost faint this time.
Chapter two
I am a sleepwalker and have been suffering this terrible affliction since age 9;
tonight i see an ostrich bleeding in the living room carpet so i rub my eyes and see a blonde lady:her wedding ring is all covered with her guts,it doesn't even shine anymore.Its' my wife,she is dead,i had nothing to do with it,somebody broke in and killed her.
She must have come down for a glass of wine to help her go back to sleep.She saw me naked ,sitting on the couch,she tried to wake me up:You should never do that! I had nothing to do with it,i don't recall it,she was killed,it wasn't me.

>> No.12501686

Chapter three

Sister and i play on bed,she grabs my neck on a sadist manner,almost dangerously seductive,she is choking me.
She sees my boner and stops.
Cassandra lets me borrow her bloody kotex,she goes to the other room and plays the violin while i jerk off listening to her sweet D sharp and rubbing my cock on her stained tissue.
We are always alone after school since mom got killed by some burglars while we were on summer camp.
Mother's death only made reality what had stayed as fantasy,for months i had wished to jerk off with Cassandra's sweaty armpit.
She is 15 and i am too young,while mother was alive she had stayed as umbillical as her,nothing more:She is much bolder now.
The next day after school she orders me to lay down with my mouth open.
She goes down for a glass of water and drinks it.
She then spreads her legs and pisses on my mouth.
After a while she finishes and goes to the bathroom to clean herself up.
I am worried,so i ask:What's the matter,didn't you like it?
No it is just i need to take a shower,she responds.
Let's take it together,i suggest,dad won't be home until noon.
Needless to say i came twice that day.

>> No.12501693

Chapter 4

I am a zeta male,thirty two,white,tall,blue eyes and all that humphrey bogart shit.
I have more drive than all my ex cunts.
I hate when one of them tries to make cheesy small talk on the street.
I know my dick is very pleasing but they are just painfully stupid.
Francesca for example,she approaches me on a store.
Hey remember me from the diner twelve the roadways?
Of course i did she was the one screaming:oh yeah jerk off to my cumhole sweetie!
And i said;Shut up whore,you must call me the baby fucker from now on!

It was so embarassing,i didn't answer,i just left the store pretending i didn't know her.

She had a nice cock too,but it was limp all the time,i couldn't even suck it.

That's the reason i prefer living on my own,humans are so ironic,dangerous yet stupid.
So anyways i am hungry now so i go to the kitchen,i don't care to wear anything.
What if someone calls you on the door,you may ask.
No one does,and if they did,it would be a privilege for them to see my divine body shape.
Before i finish the leftover pancakes some funny fly stands on them.
I don't kill it,instead i have a wonderful idea.
I pour some maple syrup on my cock so he sucks it.
He does,and while he sucks the tip i jerk off the bottom.
I ejaculate and he is all wet now.
He goes away.
I also think out loud a lot,but now i do have a listener.
Well my friend,how shall i call you?
I will call you sugar honey,yes that is a good name.
You will be my slave now,long term,stable,nonresistant.
I wont feed him tomorrow so he sucks harder the next time.
It's the third day and i can't wait 'til he pleases me,he still hasn't left,i knew he was true and lovely.
I repeat the process.
There goes my man again,ready to be fed.
He does sting harder this time.
I think out loud again.
No matter how much you make me bleed as long as you don't leave me Sugar!
He won't leave me,Honey is stuck in my urethra.
Oh my dear i am worried,when i die nobody will feed you and you will die too inside me.
But what a pleasant way to die isn't it?
Oh sugar,the only one who could keep up with me.

>> No.12501698

Chapter 5
Vultures eating the starved corpse of an african kid.
European philosophers complain about the horrible human condition while drinking fine Dubonnet and smoking from aesthetic oak pipes.
Anarchist protestants bark about the flawed system while eating a fucking whopper.
In the amazon a little girl's hymen is broken by some pedo tourist.
Milo shits on all that,he couldn't care less.Right now he is hanging from a cliff.
His carotid artery is about to collapse.Milo gets no blood flow to his head because he can't undo the tight belt around his neck.He started very young when a girl choked him in the middle of a pillow fight,he had discovered a new fetish.
Milo sees Aphrodite now,she sneezes and just before she cleans it up with a tissue,Milo steals Aphrodite's mucus so he can lubricate his cock with them.He believes to be a god now,Cupid.Milo could conquer the world yet has no intention of doing so.He was never an artist,he is art.The most important artwork on the milky way.Everyone dies with some regret but not him,Milo dies with his dick on the right hand.

5/5

>> No.12503468

>>12500529
>reddit; the post