[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 26 KB, 176x250, Farneheit_451.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1249612 No.1249612 [Reply] [Original]

>Last book you read
>Currently reading
>Next book you plan to read
and thoughts on the books.

>Last book: Fahrenheit 451-Very good book. It was a quick read and it was more hopeful than most dystopian novels.
>Currently: Voices from Chernobyl-Interesting read. I love learning about Soviet history and radiation/nuclear energy has always interested me. Its really sad though. :(
>Next: The Secret Agent-Conrad-I have to read this for an English class. I got to pick the book, though.

>> No.1249629

Last Book: A collection of Lovecraft stories
Currently reading: Heart of Darkness
Next: IDK, Captain Budd or A Clockwork Orange

>> No.1249644

Last: Peril at End House
Current: Moby Dick
Next: something by Asimov. suggestions?

>> No.1249648

last book- 1984, I believe. It was pretty good. I can imagine how it would have a greater influence on someone who read it at an earlier age than I did. I was exposed to most of the ideas after my brother read it.

current book- The Fellowship of the Ring. I'm trying to make whole trilogy+The Hobbit last for a while, so I've been taking it slow. It is a wonderful story and I've been looking at it from a more "ahh hippies in the 60s embracing an adventure story" as opposed to "fantasy fans in the 90s embracing an epic action story", which has given satisfying results. I'm also in the process of listening to Portrait of Dorian Gray whenever I have the chance.

Next book- Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man hopefully. Either that or Lolita. It's been a while since I read non-fantasy/non-Shakespeare/non-dystopian, and I need a break.

>> No.1249650

>>1249644
Foundation, if you haven't already.

>> No.1249654

Last Book: The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Currently reading: Heart of Darkness / The Crying of Lot 49
Next: The Silver Toenail

>> No.1249683 [DELETED] 

> LAST BOOK
Spring Torrents by Ivan Turgenev

>CURRENT BOOK
In the Country of Last Things by Paul Auster

>NEXT BOOK
Not sure, maybe Rudin by Ivan Turgenev.

>> No.1249714

>>1249644
I, Robot > Foundation IMO

I see lots of Fahrenheit 451 and 1984 on /lit/ (rarely look here). They're good but seems pretty casual bro. Does /lit/ have any entry level book lists or anything like that? Or any books that have become troll memes like NMH on /mu/?

Also, should I bother asking about nonfiction books here or should I just go to /sci/?

>> No.1249720

Last: A Farewell to Arms
Current: Steppenwolf
Next: Catch-22

>> No.1249739

Last: If on a winters night a traveller by Calvino
Current: Catch 22 by Heller
Next: The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway (subject to change).

Catch 22 is easily becoming one of my favorite books. Can't wait to finish.

>> No.1249746

>>1249644
Caves of steel is good.

Last: The Old Man and the Sea (A most manly book that had me gripped throughout the struggle with the fish and feeling the old mans pain on his treacherous way back)
Currently: Lord of the Rings (Very epic, but I find myself more interested in the history and rest of the world then the actual story)
Next: The Worm Ouroboros (Just got it in the mail and I hear it is pretty awesome. I have read the first chapter and it does is talk about rich demon lords and how everything is made of gold and jewels. I hope it gets better)

>> No.1249749

Last: 2010: Odyssey Two
Current: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Next Book: Undecided, might look for more by Arthur Clarke.

>> No.1249756

Last Read: All Quite on The Western Front
Currently Reading: The Sorrows of Young Werther
Next: Hard Times

>> No.1249780

Last read: Heart of Darkness. I'm glad that I read it, because it's a classic, and I feel like it's one of those books that you're "supposed" to read. Joseph Conrad really knows how to pepper his writing with beautiful thoughts, but oh my God is he verbose. I found myself drifting out of the story all the time.

Currently Reading: Chronic City, by Jonathan Lethem. It's absolutely amazing, one of my favorite books I've read in a long time. As I go on, however, I wonder where the plot is going. Nothing concrete has developed yet.

Read Next: Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World. I want to read this one for the title as much as anything.

>> No.1249799

Last Read: Less than zero (Breat Easton Ellis) = I enjoyed it. I like american writers

Current Read: The Radetzky March (Joseph Roth) = Just started it, but i think im gonna like it

Next Read: On The Road (Jack Kerouac) = I love beat generation writers/artists

>> No.1249806

>LAST READ
Spring Torrents by Ivan Turgenev

>CURRENTLY READING
In the Country of Last Things by Paul Auster

>NEXT READ
Not too sure. Maybe Rudin by Turgenev, or A Hero of Our Time, or The Setting Sun by Dazai.

>> No.1249841

Last Book: The Guns Of The South
Current book: The Brothers Karamazov and Banana
Next book: The Plot Against America

>> No.1249860

>Last book: Dan Simmons - Summer of Night
Really great, entertaining horror book. On par with King's It but more accessible and half the length.
>Current book: Stephen King - Night Shift
One of the few short story collections I haven't yet read, all have been great so far. Those fucking mutated rats - ech!
>Next book: Fyodor Dostoevsky - Crime and Punishment
New reader here, obviously. I read the first few chapters and decided to save it because it sounds good, but I'd like to be totally alert and absorbed because I get the sense that if I just fly through it I'll miss out on some stuff.

>> No.1249904

>>1249860
>Crime and Punishment
>doesn't want to fly through it

Have fun with that.

>Last book
A Game of Thrones
>Current
A Clash of Kings (I hate myself. I should read something better first)
>Next
Probably Storm of Swords, but I'd like to put it off until I read Slaughterhouse Five or Catch-22 or A Clockwork Orange or something.

>> No.1250003

>>1249904
What do you mean?

>> No.1250047

Last Read: Into the Wild by Jack Krakauer. Enjoyed the movie but didn't feel like the book was critical to read. Finally did, and I'm really impressed with his style and the way the story is presented.
Currently Reading: Great House by Nicole Krauss. So far it jumps around and I don't know how it connects but I like it.
Next:I'm thinking Notes From The Underground by Dostoevsky, but something non-fiction sounds nice.

>> No.1250060

Last: One Hundred Years of Solitude. Thought it'd be overrated pretentious bullshit because an English teacher I disliked loved a short story by Garcia Marquez. Turned out to be quite good and just confirmed magical realism as a god-tier genre. I'm looking to reading Love in the Time of Cholera sometime in the future.

Current: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. My third Murakami book and shaping up to be my favorite.

Next: On The Road. No clue how this one is going to turn out, but it seems like it's influenced some of my favorite authors/books, so I have high expectations.

>> No.1250080

OP's current book sounds very interesting.

>mfw when the publisher's name is Dalkey Archive Press

>> No.1250094

Last book: Can't remember exactly, it was either Islands in the Net (pretty cool, if unfocused) or Summer of the Ubume (one of the most intelligent and thought-provoking mystery/horror books I've read).
Current: Nothing atm.
Next: probably Angle of Repose or A Wild Sheep Chase

>> No.1250886

Last: Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court. Great book, not sure whether I liked the ending or not.
Current: The Stranger. Only reading for the sake of English class.
Next: As I Lay Dying. I want to read faulkner; figured that's a good place to start.

>> No.1250890

>>1250060
If those were all requirements for a college course, I could swear you're in the same class I was in last year.

Do the phrases hum and sosc ring familiar?

>> No.1250900

>Last book:
Speaker for the Dead. I really enjoyed Ender's Game, but Speaker for the Dead was much, much better. However, it was totally different and could have practically been a standalone novel.

>Currently reading
Song of Kali. Only like 20% of the way through, interesting so far. I like Dan Simmon's writing style

>Next book:
Xenocide

>> No.1250917

>Last book you read
Cat's Cradle and Less Than Zero
>Currently reading
Filth and Slaughterhouse 5
Brave New World and Trainspotting

>> No.1250927

Snow Crash (awesome, no idea how this passed me by so long).

Nathaniel's Nutmeg (Re-read, excellent history of the British involvement in the East Indies Spice Trade).

Next I have a bio of Yasser Arafat.

>> No.1250930

Rant - Palahniuk
>radtacular. modern fairy tale
The Dharma Bums - Kerouac
>meh tier. pretty imagery but nothing too substantial
The Bell Jar - Plath
>i can't wait to be depressed reading this

>> No.1251124

Last book: Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams, started of really bad, started getting better halfway through.
Currently reading: The End of Eternity by Isaac Asimov, just started, can't say anything yet
Next: I don't know

>> No.1251136

Last book: Brave New World
Current: Robinson Crusoe
Next: Moby Dick

>> No.1251140

>Last book you read
Mother Night
>Currently reading
Cat's Cradle
Slaughterhouse 5

>> No.1251148

Last: The Subtle Knife
>good kids lit, probably the weakest of the series
Current: The Amber Spyglass
>probably the best of the series
Next: Paradise Lost
>never read any Milton and I'm re-interested after His Dark Materials

>> No.1251150

>>1251140
I am on a ruthless serial tour of Vonnegut's oeuvre.

>> No.1251152

>>1251150
>>1251140
Have you guys read Sirens of Titan? That's my fave Vonnegut after S-5 and it never gets enough love.

>> No.1251155

Last- An Abundance of Katherines- Great book, kept me reading to the point where I didn't sleep at all.

Current- Off Armageddon Reef- Slow start, but it'll probably pay off, at least according to one of my friends.

Next- Can't say for sure.

>> No.1251170

>>1251152
I read it. It was good but I didn't like it nearly as much as Breakfast of Champions, Cat's Cradle, or Slaughterhouse-Five.

>> No.1251179

>>1251152
I finished Sirens of Titan before Mother Night and I had mixed feelings about it. It's where Vonnegut strikes out into what later develops into his characteristic style, and his inexperience shows. There are a lot of overt statements going on, and a lot more exposition than I would like. The characters feel a bit stiff, wooden. It's just sloppy, burlesque feeling next to Mother Night and Cat's cradle. Mind you, I think the funniest of his works I've read so far. I loled out loud everytime KAZAK THE HOUND OF SPACE was mentioned.

>> No.1251199

Storm of war
Paradise Lost
not sure, thinking about Game theory and Canadian politics

>> No.1251205

(note: these are all short story collections)
>Last book: Drown, by Junot Diaz. Great stuff, though I need google translate open to work through the spanglish.
>Currently reading: Bed, by Tao Lin. I feel like I should hate it; its so absurd, a bit pretentious really. Very lolsorandum xD. But I fucking love it and I can't even tell you why.
>Next: either Diaz's The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, or Tao Lin's Eeeeee Eee Eeee

>> No.1251221

>The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson
>nothing
>The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer

>> No.1251222

>>1251179
>>1251170
Fair enough. It's definitely more "filled with ideas" rather than filled with plot or coherent characters (certainly doesn't help that the main character gets his mind wiped halfway through). I'm glad somebody else thought "Kazak hound of space" was as funny as I did, though.

>> No.1251234

>>1251205
Read Oscar Wao.
I didn't read his other book, but Oscar Wao was sooooooo excellent.

>> No.1251240

last book-The Split Cherry Tree (short story for college)
current-Re-reading Brave New World
next-undecided

>> No.1251264

>Fathers and Sons by Turgenev

>Never Let Me Go by Ishiguro
friend recommanded

>White Noise by Delillo
lit recommanded

>> No.1251275

Last Book: In Other Words - it's basically a small catalog of untranslatable words; it wasn't as insightful or interesting as I was hoping it to be.
Current: Guns, Germs & Steel - I was about to put it down after reading 150+ pages of boring (but important) stuff about domestication and the spread of agriculture, but then after I toughed it out I started reading about the development of language and technology and it's very, very interesting.
Next Book: Don't know.

>> No.1251276

last read: catch-22, one of the most profound books i've read yet, sort of jealous about heller's grasp of the english language
currently: crime and punishment, the story really pulled me in
next: dunno, anybody got suggestions? maybe a collection from mark twain? anybody got ideas shoot'm over

>> No.1251277

Last: Ender's Game (again, I hadn't read it in a while)
Current: Neuromancer (again)
Next: The Meaning Of It All: Thoughts Of A Citizen-scientist (I made it about 1/4 of the way through before getting distracted)

First two are kind of obvious, the last is interesting, at least in what I have read so far.

>> No.1251280

>>1250890
What college courses assign Murakami for reading?

>> No.1251289

>Last book you read
Bob Woodward - State of Denial (Bush at War, Part III)
* very interesting book, I didn't expect it to be written in a way that it was telling the story almost like a novel. sad book as well, the failure on all levels concerning pre/post war Iraq is unbelievable.

>Currently reading
Arthur C. Clarke - The Collected Stories
* This guy has had a lot of great ideas. started reading this one after reading 2001 in one evening. "The Lion of Comarre" is a great short, could have been an inspiration behind "The Matrix". I don't have much time for reading at the moment, so the short stories are ideal pre-bedtime material.

Heinz Guderian - Achtung Panzer! (The Development of Tank Warfare)
* Bought this one out of curiosity. Guderian developed the tank warfare strategies later used by the Wehrmacht during WWII.

>> No.1251295

>>1251280
University of Chicago's humanities department.

>> No.1251300

>>1251234
I have yet to find anybody who says the contrary.

>> No.1251353

>>1250890
what class does that? i got assigned world lit or something in hum freshman year and i had to drop that shit fast.

>> No.1251380

Last Book: Inferno
Currently reading: One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest
Next: The Brothers Karamazov

>> No.1251387

Last book: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
I usually like Vonnegut but... this sucked. 4/10

Current: Hyperspace by Michio Kaku
Excellent science book, only niggle is that its ~15 years old so it's missing some of the more recent stuff. 9/10

Next: Not decided, probably A Brief History of Time or some Nabakov.

>> No.1251407

>>1251276
>sort of jealous about heller's grasp of the english language

Wait what?
It's a pretty funny book, but not exactly well written. The "serious" prose sections (like the bit with the mushrooms) are almost embarrassing.

It gets by on the strength of it's ideas despite being poorly written, like Vonnegut's books. Except this is even worse written but has even better ideas.

Although, compared to your grasp of English, Heller looks like Nabokov.

>> No.1251429

>LAST BOOK
Halo:Contact Harvest
Probably the best Halo novel, but still wasn't very spectacular.
>CURRENT BOOK
Let The Right One In- John Ajvide Lindqvist
Great Story so far, love the pacing, very interesting views on humans as a whole, not really that much about vampires, which is a good thing. I can see this becoming one of my all time favorites.
>NEXT BOOK
Either: The Road- Cormac McCarthy,
Water Music- T.C. Boyle
or Boneshaker- Cherie Priest

If you have an opinion on which one I should read first, that would be nice.

>> No.1251436

>Last book you read
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem. Expected something different but still enjoyed it.
>Currently reading
Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuinn
Slaughterhouse 5, Vonnegut. My first of his works.

>> No.1251610

Last Book: The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Current: Night by Elie Wiesel (re-reading)
Next Book: No book; killing myself.

>> No.1251632

>>1251436
God-tier book you're reading there.

>> No.1251642

Last Book: High Fidelity - Nick Hornby - Hipster as fuck
Current: Thus Spoke Zarathustra - Nietzsche - Found it on my dads bookshelf when I was home last week, pretty interesting read
Next: Probably a Phillip K Dick book I picked up second hand, Eye in the Sky I think

>> No.1251707

>Last book you read
A Canticle for Leibowitz- Great book. Still has me thinking, even though I finished it a while ago. May have to read again, because I feel like I missed some pieces throughout.
>Currently reading
The Years of Rice and Salt- Enjoying it so far. Definitely picking up more Kim Stanley Robinson books in the future.
Unsure yet. Probably Ciaphas Cain: Defender of the Imperium, because I do love my Warhammer. Or I may attempt to tackle Chapterhouse Dune again.

>> No.1252187

>>1251353
Reading Cultures.

Heads up, though, the books in question assigned change by the teacher. Murakami was the result of having a Japanese TA second quarter, third quarter the teacher was Haitian so we read Lucy, The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, etc.

>> No.1252212

I'm on a re-reading kick, going back over some things with a new perspective

Last book: Pale Fire. It was very good. I disliked Kinbote so much that it was hard to get through at times, though.
Currently Reading: HoL. Haters gonna hate. I liked it the first time, and now I'm re-reading it both with some explanatory theories and some very harsh criticisms that I've heard since in mind.
Next Book: Haven't decided yet. Possibly the Satanic Verses.

>> No.1252248

Last book: Gravity's Rainbow- this book was really weird and thought-provoking, obscene and funny, and while Thomas Pynchon definitely touches on some really paranoid-schizophrenic themes, it's actually in a pretty convincing way, unlike the Infinite Jest guy whose book wasn't even interesting enough to finish. This book took alot of attentiveness and I had to read it very quickly because so much was going on, but it really is not the feat that so many people make it out to be. Maybe if Palahniuk is your favorite author, then yeah I could see this being difficult teehee.
Currently reading- Tender is the Night- F. Scott Fitzgerald is one of my favorite authors, but that's probably because he died too soon to enter senility, and I love his themes of America, class, sex and the Jazz Age. I have alot of emotional attachments to his characters because I know the feeling of the American Dream, failed romance.. people who discount his books as "soap operas" or whatever are either virgins or never broke out of reading dime sci-fi novels.
Next- Probably War and Peace, if they have the Larissa Volokovsky (sp?) and Richard Pevear translations. Or Notes from Underground. Or the Master and the Margarita. I'm leaning more towards Dostoevsky or Bulgakov because after Gravity's Rainbow, I really do not feel like devoting a month to another single novel.

I don't know if this counts but I tried to read Sartre's Nausea in between Gravity's Rainbow and Tender is the Night and found it incredibly boring and pointless. Not "pointless" in that it lacked plot- it was like a 40 year old man hitting puberty, but maybe thats when existentialist crises happened in the first half of the 20th century. I don't know.

>> No.1252268

>>1252248

Would you recommend Tender is the Night? I've only read Gatsby, and like, all of his short stories (I think he is my favorite short story writer) but have heard really mixed things about TitN

>> No.1252281

Last book: Jennifer Government - I liked it. Kind of an interesting spin on the economy and America and such.

Current: Lockdown: Escape from Furnace - It's complete shit.

Next: Room - I've never actually read a book written from a young child's point of view. Might be interesting.

>> No.1252288
File: 47 KB, 425x317, 1277601285327.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last book: Roadside Picnic
Currently reading: Brave New World
Plan to read: Either Brothers Karamazov or Under the Dome.

>> No.1252338

>>1252248

try reading gravity's rainbow backwards

>> No.1252353

Ha!

You're not the only one reading Voices of Chernobyl.

But because its so damn depressing im reading Arthur Hailey's "Wheels" at the same time.

My previous read was Dan Brown's Deception Point and his book The Last Symbol would be my next book.

>> No.1253187

up

>> No.1253267

More?

>> No.1253289

I just finished The Face of Fear by Koontz. It sucked, but it was funny because the killer turned out to idolize Nietzsche. He thought he was a superman and that Nietzsche's works were like gospel or something.

>> No.1253295

bup

>> No.1253307

Last: A Man Without a Country
Currently: The Immoralist
Next: Either Notes From Underground or A Sorrow Beyond Dreams

>> No.1253310

Last Read: The Stranger

Currently: The Invisible Man (Wells) / Dirty Job (Moore)

Next: Probably Old Man and the Sea because I need to teach it soon.

>> No.1253311
File: 155 KB, 654x759, 365c183d5f872139e623d7a882f1bb0f.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last: Deathly Hallows
Current: Zones of Thought
Next: Lolita

>> No.1253312

>last book: Chekhov - Stories - Chekhov definitely was a great writer. His stories are not judging: it's more like a portrait of a certain situation, which is great, especially comparing with the other russian realists: as much as I like their work, they are obviously craving to shove their truth up your arse. I especially liked Ward Number Six, The Black Monk and especially Peasants, being very naturalistic in its description of the poor people living in russian countryside

>currently reading: Zola - L'assomoir - I'm about in the half, a great book about people destroying their lives with alcohol

>next: Balzac - Father Goriot/Eugenie Grandet - I have no fucking idea.

>> No.1253314

>>1253312 disregard the usage of 'especially'

>> No.1253335

>>1249648
definatly go with portrait. one of my favorites of all time

>> No.1253402

Last Book: Factotum-Really enjoyed it a lot. In my opinion one of Bukowski's funniest books.

Current Book: The Fuck-Up-A bit slow at first but really picks up and then things keep getting worse and worse. The title character lives up to the book title.

Next Book: Our Band Could be Your Life

>> No.1253416

>Last book
Armageddon in Retrospect by Kurt Vonnegut. Wasn't as good as his other short stories
>Current book
The Diary of a Madman, The government inspector and Selected Stories by Nikolai Gogol
>To Read
Collected Fictions by Borges

>> No.1253425

Last book: I am the Cheese - Robert Cormier (Just something I picked up at the library)

Current: The Fountainhead - Ayn Rand (For an essay competition to win money)

Next: We'll see.

>> No.1253435

Last: Sophocles's Antigone. It nearly made me cry, which is very unusual for a book.
Current: Racine's Athalie. Intrigued. I like the earthy old testament mood.
Next: Book of the Courtier. I expect it to be a delight.

>> No.1253437

Last: Border Trilogy by Cormac McCarthy
Current: For Whome the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway
Next: A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway

>> No.1253448 [DELETED] 

>2010 Fuck yeah, this is good stuff
>2061 Fuck yeah, this is really good stuff
>3001 Fuck yeah, this is probably going to rock out with it's cock out

>> No.1253489

Last: The Man in the High Castle. Bad. Philip Dick has interesting ideas but can't seem to make the prose work out.
Current: Pride and Prejudice. Trying to expand my literary horizons.
Future: Something by TC Boyle, perhaps. I enjoy his short stories.

>> No.1253535

Last : breakfast of champions
Currently: crying of lot 49 / seymour, an introduction / The snows of kilimanjaro and other stories
Next : mother night or the book of disquiet

>> No.1253540

>Last book you read: Collection of Dostoevsky's short stories.
Old copy, pretty much comfort reading for me these days.

>Currently reading The Third God by Ricardo Pinto.
For the entire series: whatthefuckamireading.jpg.
I've pretty much zipped through the trilogy in a week, they're pretty great and not at all what I was expecting. Good series for any fans of body horror, I must say.

>Next book you plan to read: Either The Year of Rice and Salt or Journey to the West, but I'm leaning towards the first.

>> No.1254092

Last Book: The Dark Tower III, The Wastelands
Currently reading: House of Leaves (reread)
Next: Beowulf

>> No.1254206

I'm always looking for good new short fiction. I've heard of Boyle but I have never read him. What's he like? I know he started writing around the 70's-80's. Is he anything like Ray Carver?

>> No.1254219

>>1254206
>>1253489
Forgot to reference.

Guess I'll post my stuff.

I don't read loads of novels, but the last novel, or book, that I have read is Austen's Northanger Abbey. I'm a big fan of Jane Austen, but the characters were mostly likable. She is a great writer and there's a lot of interesting irony in her texts, although Northanger is the earliest and the least crafted, I think.

I'm currently reading Carver's collection Will You Please Be Quiet Please? I plan on finishing the title story tonight. This has been the best collection I've read, although there are several close rivals.

I've got plenty of single short fiction stories, poems and plays coming up next, but the next book that I will have to read will probably be Whorf's Language, Though and Reality. Looks pretty interesting.

Shit, I'm in the middle of reading Gödel, Escher, Bach, too, but this is a long term commitment.

>> No.1254222

>>1254219
Correction, I don't ordinary like Austen.

>> No.1254349

Last: The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest - Steig Larsson - Blah Airport Book.

Currently: Yiddish Policeman's Union -Michael Chabon - Recommended by my father, Plugging away but bored, want to get to pile of scifi I bought last week.

Next: The Man in The High Castle, Philip K. Dick - Fuck Yeah, alternate history!

>> No.1254382

>Children of Dune
>God Emperor of Dune
>Heretics of Dune

I miss Paul. I almost wish the series ended at Children.

>> No.1254403

LAST READ: GORGIAS
CURRENTLY READING: ONCE THERE WAS A WAR
NEXT READ: IVAN THE FOOL OR THE DEAD

>> No.1254468

>>1252338
Actually, I would imagine if you found some method of doing this, it would (sort of) make sense? It does (sort of) go full circle, but on the first attempt I'm glad I didn't try this because 1, 2 and 3 follow a consecutive pattern.
>>1252268
Yes, I really enjoyed it.

Also, I decided on Notes from Underground. Next I will read either Cormac McCarthy, the Beautiful and the Damned or War and Peace.

If I decide to read Cormac McCarthy, it will be my first novel ever by him. I'm going to definitely get The Road and No Country for Old Men. Anyone have any suggestions however that haven't been adapted into movies, or that aren't these two?

>> No.1255327

One Last Bump

>> No.1255340

up

>> No.1255373

>Last book you read: Foundation by Isaac Asimov
Not at all what I was expecting. Fast, easy, but very enjoyable read. Distinctly missing any kind of ending, though. I know it's part one of a trilogy but I was still expecting more definitive closure.

>Currently reading: Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson
Densely plotted, poorly written. Compelling enough once you shut off your brain and good to take the edge off around more substantial fare.

>Next book you plan to read: The Perfect Fool by Stewart Lee
My favourite comedian, and apparently a decent debut novel.

>> No.1255901

Last: 1984
Current: Catcher in the Rye
Next: Atlas Shrugged or Marine Sniper

>> No.1256120

Last Book: The Divine Comedy Volume I
Currently reading: The Illiad
Next book: Either Alas, Babylon, The Postman, or maybe The Odyssey

i love books

>> No.1256135

STOP READING THE SAME SHIT /LIT/

>> No.1256138

>>1255373
Stewart Lee! I hoped to see his new stand up, vegetable Stew, but was at a conference when it was nearby, then travelled to Reading to see it, but it got cancelled. Bugger.

Glad to see someone who appreciates a comic genius.

>> No.1256144

/lit/ i'm in a pickle because i read the first book of karen tei yamashita's i hotel, then set it down and read the 42nd parallel and i'm unsure which to finish up with first. if i'm being honest i was having more fun with the yamashita but i feel like i'm going to have to go back and read everything all over again if i don't get through the usa trilogy right now

>> No.1256150

>>1256135
Not everyone is reading the same shit. Sure, there's tons of 1984 and Catcher in the Rye people, but there's plenty more than that in the thread as well.

>> No.1256155

>>1256138
I'm going to see that! Later this month in London. Can't fucking wait. Shame it got canceled for you. So excited. :D

>> No.1256158

>>1256120
:)

I gotta go back and read the Inferno when I'm home for Christmas, that's one of those things that puts me in mind of being a 10th grader in the first quarter of AP Euro History class just realizing that I could enjoy books that weren't made up of Dave Barry columns and that homework could be exciting (lol)

>> No.1256160

>Last book: Human Action: A Treatise on Economics

What can I say? The magnus opus of one of our greatest economists

>Currently reading: Night Watch

You can never read enough of Pratchett

>Next read: Poltava

A description of the Battle of Poltova by a famous Swedish historian. Been looking forward to reading it a long time : p

>> No.1256171

>>1256155
I'm planning to see it in London now, no worries. It's like a tradition seeing him when he does stand up. Just have no money atm....

>> No.1256189

>>1256171
That's okay, he's doing a lot of dates. Glad you'll catch him after all. This will be my first time seeing him. The entire front row was available when I booked, but I went for a few rows back like a wuss.

>> No.1256222

>Last book: Crime & Punishment
>Current book: The Brothers Karamazov
>Next book: The Plague

Thanks for recommending Dostoyevsky to me, I love him. After this though, I'm going back to reading another Albert Camus book. I loved The Stranger, and I've read a little bit of the plague and it piqued my interest. That might be because I have a hard-on for him.

>> No.1256249

>Last book you read
Crooked Little Vein. Hilarious, crude and exactly what I would expect from Ellis, big fan of his comic work.

>Currently reading
Gould's Book of Fish, only just started it. Seems interesting, I'll have to keep reading though.

Preincanate by Shaun Micallef

>> No.1256298

>Last book
Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck P.
- Decent mindfuck in an interesting format. Lots of satire and interesting information.

>Current book
The Stand by King
- Haven't read very much but it seems to be good. Can't pass any judgment yet.

>Next book
Undecided, I've got a list of about 20 I'm interested in

>> No.1256302

Last book - Rant, Chuck Palanhuik
Currently reading - Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy
Next book - Master and Commander, Patrick O
Brian

>> No.1256318

>Last book you read
Junky by William S, Burroughs, Interesting as FUCK
>Currently reading
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain. Everyone reads it, but for a good reason
Slapstick by Kurt Vonnegut. I don't have any thoughts on it. that's why I'm reading it.

>> No.1256345

>>1249799
current: on the road by Kerouac... is so boring. it's hard to care about for the first fifty pages or more but we'll see how it is as it continues.
previous: either girl, interrupted by sussanna kaysen or fahrenheit 451.
future book: down and out in paris and london by orwell

>> No.1256370
File: 13 KB, 140x140, alone.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last Book: Norwegian Wood. Pic related
About to start reading: Big Machine
Next: The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea

>> No.1256389

Last Book: Assassin's Quest by Robin Hobbs
Currently Reading: Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett
Next: Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

>> No.1256392

>Last:Titan by John Varley,Metamorphosis by Kafka
>Curret:White Noise by Don DeLillo,House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski
>Next:Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak,The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton

>> No.1256672

The man who folded himself - a mindtrip of a time travel story. nice twist on becoming your own father

nothing

nothing

I'm at a home with crappy mystery novels and thrillers.
any suggestions, I like science fiction mostly.

>> No.1256690

last: thirst for love (mishima)
current: the vivisector (patrick white)
next: riders in the chariot (patrick white)

>> No.1257455

Last book: On the Shortness of Life by Seneca--I know it's an of an essay, but the copy I have has three essays together.
Currently reading: Lolita
Next to read: The Way of All Flesh

>> No.1257468

>William Faulkner - The Sound and the Fury - Awesome, awesome book
>Towers of Midnight - Sanderson and fat dead guy. Better than the last few.
>???????

>> No.1257474

>>1251221

This thread's still here?
UPDATE TIEM

>The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson
Really good time travel story. Highly recommended.

>The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer

So far really good and beautifully written. Especially if you're into steampunk. And the Tempest.

>The Bourne Identity
Is it worth it, /lit/?

>> No.1257477

>>1257474
>The Bourne Identity
Is it worth it, /lit/?
Same as the movies. Trashy harmless fun, don't expect literary masterpieces but they're enjoyable enough books.

>> No.1257527

>Last book: Mona Lisa Overdrive
The Sprawl trilogy was awesome.
>Currently reading: The Road
Seems good so far (started reading it today)
>Next book
Maybe something from Alastair Reynolds, seems interesting

>> No.1257528

Last book you read- Fahrenheit 451, as well.
Currently reading- Grapes of Wrath
Next book you plan to read- Uh. Probably Voicing Creation's Praise, if I can get hold of it. Otherwise, something by Virgil.

>> No.1257541
File: 20 KB, 263x319, bradbury.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Last book you read
COINCIDANCE; BY ROBERT ANTON WILSON: RATHER DISSAPOINTED. PRETTY BLAH AND DETTACHED.

>Currently reading
PROMETHEUS RISING (YEAH; I'M INNA NON FICTION BURST) BY SAME AUTHOR AS ABOVE: PRETTY FUCKING AWESOME. IS SO ENLIGHTENING AND INSIGHTFUL. IT REALLY "CHANGES" YOU.

TO FINISH UP OZMA OF OZ AND THE OCTOBER COUNTRY (; _ ;).

>> No.1257543

Last book: The Picture Of Dorain Gray
hated all the characters, loved the plot and the writing style.
Currently reading: The Naked Lunch
shit sucks
Next: don't really thought about it yet, I think i'll go with The Great Gatsby

>> No.1257581

Just read: A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again, by David Foster Wallace. Highly recommended!

Currently reading: Shogun, by James Clavell. Very good. But kind of long.

Will read something by JG Ballard next.

Am at the library currently. People type too loud. You don't have to pound the keys, dude.

>> No.1257640

Last: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - A great and wild ride. I enjoyed it.
Current: The Great Gatsby - Jumps out and and smacks you in the face. In a good way.
Next: John Dies at the End - Read this before, about 4 years ago when it was online. Can't wait to read this mindfuck again.

>> No.1257669

Last Book: Gravity's Rainbow - Interesting to say the least, wtf ending

Currently Reading: Lolita - Nabokov's prose is god-tier

Next Book: Not sure, possibly something from Bukowski

>> No.1257679

I'm currently rereading all the discworlds books in English (I read them as a Dutch translation first) so for fiction:
Last book: Thud!
currently reading: The fifth elephant
planned: Unseen academicals; Good Omens

also reading: the antichrist (goes slow, just starting at reading philosophy) and Essential Actionscript 3.0.

>> No.1258332

Last: the mangy parrot: the only real interest i got from it was the similarities in our culture to that of mexicos in the late 1700's
Current: Pride and Prejudice: so hard to care about anything or anyone in this shit storm of a book.
Next: Im thinkin something Tolstoy of Coetzee

>> No.1258339

>Last: Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. FUCK the ending.
>Currently: Rereading Agamemnon and Oedipus. FUCK I love Greco-Roman Lit.
>Next: Dubliners. Because I FUCKing love that SHIT.

>> No.1258340

last: steppenwolf by hesse
current: nothing
next: maybe the trial by kafka

thoughts on steppenwolf: boring, overrated
thoughts on the trial: looks interesting, liked metamorphosis should be good

>> No.1258343

LAST: ONCE THERE WAS A WAR - STEINBECK
CURRENT: THE SEVEN WHO WERE HANGED - ANDREYEV
NEXT: PROBABLY THE DEAD BY JOYCE

>> No.1258376

>Gravity's Rainbow
Craziest book I've read. I don't think I ever realized books could be this way.
>A Farewell to Arms
On my second read, this book is so awesome. Hemingway is a bro.
>Tender is the Night
friend recommended it, and I dug great gatsby so what could go wrong?

>> No.1258391

Last: Zeitoun by Dave Eggers

Current: Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs & Obama's Wars by Bob Woodward

Next: probably Freedom by Jonathan Franzen, even though I hate Oprah

>> No.1258407

Last: White Oleander
>Things get worse.

Currently: The Red Badge of Courage
>Everyone from New York is actually from Georgia

Next: Laughter in the Dark
>????

>> No.1258411

Last book: When You are Engulfed in Flames by David Sedaris. I love Sedaris and this was just as good as any of his others.

Current: The Alcoholic by Jonathan Ames. Yes, it's a comic book but I'm really into them. This is actually pretty good. When authors try out the comic book world, it's usually awful, but this is an exception. Hilarious.

Next: Not sure. Either another Ames book because i've just started with him, or i'll re read some Lovecraft, juts cus', it's fucking Lovecraft.

>> No.1258582

Last book: A Feast for Crows, George R. R. Martin - Not nearly as good as the previous three books, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everybody made it out to be. A lot of the hate for the book likely comes from the fact that people waited five years for this installment, and then got a book which didn't have their favorite characters in it. Still, pretty good, but probably the worst of the bunch.

Currently reading: Bag of Bones, Stephen King - About halfway through now, and it's pretty interesting. Hokey at times, but that's Stephen King for you.

Next book: The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

>> No.1258585

>>1258582

So bad....

>> No.1258624

>Last Book: A Hazard of New Fortunes
Which was terribly dry.
>Current: A Danish Girl - About the first man to undergo a sex change. It happens around WWII and it's decent
>Next: hopefully The Virgin Suicides but probably The Age of Innocence and Dream Jungle for my classes.

>> No.1258660

Wide Sargasso Sea by some Black chick

Ceremony by some Indian chick

I don't know, but I bet it'll be written by a chick.

>> No.1258693

Last: Naked Lunch, WIlliam Burroughs. Hard to keep up with it, but a good time.

Current: Brave New World. Digging it so far, did Huxley write poetry?

Next up: Hopefully Finnegan's Wake.

>> No.1258707

Last book: Gustave Flaubert - Sentimental Education. I loved it.

Currently reading: Alexandre Dumas - The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm not yet halfway into it but already I am enjoying it.

Next book: Gustave Flaubert - Madame Bovary. I'm really looking forward to it as it's supposed to be his best work.

>> No.1258717

>Last book: Sound and the Fury
I loved it, but all of Jason's section made me furious.
>Current book: Lolita
I'm enjoying it so far; got maybe 100 pages to go. I like how Nabokov plays with language, and I'm surprsied at how fucking funny it is.
>Next book: Either Absalom, Absalom or Fahrenheit 451
I'm trying to make it through all of Faulkner's novels, but I hear a lot of shit talked about Fahrenheit 451 on this board, and I want to see if it's true.

>> No.1258719

>>1258693
Huxley took so much lsd that theres bound to be loads of crazy shit out there

>> No.1258722

>>1258693
I'm thinking of reading Naked Lunch sometime in the near future. How'd you like it?

BNW is good. I thought most of the books was boring (unlike you), but the last three chapters are some of the greatest and most exciting pages of dystopian literature ever (of course, it's based heavily on We - which is much more complex).

Good luck with FW. If you haven't already, I recommend you start elsewhere with Joyce instead of heading straight into it. Then again, I'm not a /lit/-manjor/minor/anything.

>> No.1258763

last: The Road, and The Bell Jar
currently: American psycho
next: Huckleberry Finn (as a book we have to read for school) trying to decide between philosophy or The Divine Comedy

>> No.1258769

>>1258717
fuck anybody who doesnt like Fahrenheit 451, I thought what Bradbury had to say about society was genius. the book spoke to me

>> No.1258791
File: 197 KB, 1008x600, americanpsychowhatiread.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Last Book
American Psycho: Idiotic. Shock novel with clothing descriptions, complete and total let down.

>Currently
Books of Blood: 95% of the stories are complete garbage, I'm just trying to finish them all and put them behind me

>Next Book
Paradise Lost: Hoping to change my luck with books as of late and read something good. I've always liked the god/angels/satan/demons mythology.

>> No.1258803

Last: Behemoth (Scott Westerfeld) - it's the best alternate universe World War I young adult novel with steampunk, biological manipulation, and accidental lesbians I've ever read
Current: Gravity's Rainbow (Thomas Pynchon) - it's pure, fantastic crack
Next: A Clockwork Orange (Anthony Burgess) - it's been sitting on my shelf for far too long

>> No.1259802

Live

>> No.1259816

Last: Slaughterhouse 5
Current: Catch-22
Next: 100 years of solitude

Just getting into reading for pleasure again so I'm touching all the must-read books/authors.

>> No.1259945

>Previous: Brave New World:

Pretty good to begin with, dragged on a lot though. But was amazingly ahead of it's time.

>Current: Catch 22

Only onto page 25 so can't really have an opinion, pretty good I suppose.

>Next: No idea, maybe Slaughterhouse Five or Cat's Cradle (psst.. suggest me something)

>> No.1260010

>Last book: Bread Givers, some shitty book for school so I won't count that.
>REAL last book: Dune. Quite possibly my favorite book of all time.
>Current book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Pretty cool so far. I'm pretty sure Chief Broom is on acid.
>Next book: The Scarlet Letter. I figure I may as well, it gets enough hype and it's just taking up space on my bookshelf.

>> No.1260023

>>1260010
Actually, I may read The Fall of Hyperion. I loved Hyperion and class it slightly below Dune, Foundation and the Hitchhiker's Guide books on my list of sci-fi I've loved.
I'm also thinking maybe some Vonnegut. But I'm not sure if I get all I should out of his stuff.

>> No.1260041

>Last Book: The Castle of Otranto - Horace Walpole
I only enjoyed little pieces of it, as a whole I didn't really like it. It was hard to distinguish who was talking when and there was a lot of arsing around in the plot development. Having said that, I enjoyed the start up until the cave bit. Learning about Gothic conventions on the way was pretty useful too.

>Currently Reading: Petals of Blood by Ngugi wa Thiong'o
I'm enjoying it. I enjoy the individual stories of the characters and the atmosphere of the setting. Plot's a bit drab so far but judging by the very beginning where they all get taken in for questioning, it's getting better looks promising

Gonna Read: A Hero of Our Time - Mikhail Lermontov
Dunno yet obviuosly. I picked it up because I enjoy reading about characters that are marginalised in society or who live solitary lifestyles / society rejects them. It seemed vaguely related. Apparently my edition is translated by Dmitri and Vladimir Nabokov which could be interesting.

>> No.1260055

Last read - the divine invasion by Philip K. Dick. An excellent book but not quite as good as it's predecessor VALIS

Currently reading - Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. I've already read the first chapter and I have to say the language is quite beautiful. Very musical.

Will read next - Not really sure...The Stranger by Camus perhaps. Maybe some Dostoevsky, it's about time I got to him. Then again maybe Hunger by Knut Hamsun, I've been meaning to read it for I while. I really don't know.

>> No.1260147

>Last read
The Waves by Virginia Woolf. Most of it went over my head, but I still found it really moving.
>Currently reading
The Trial by Kafka. Lovin' it.
>Next read
Absalom, Absalom! by William Faulkner. Library had a copy, read part of it this morning, but leaving the rest until I've finished The Trial.

>> No.1260155 [DELETED] 

Last read: The Cannibals of Candyland. It was pretty good. Not great. Wasn't expecting anything amazing.

Currently reading: Devil you know by Mike Carey.

Next read: Time's Eye. I think. could change my mind if I end up liking devil you know a lot I'll probably get the sequel.

>> No.1261744

good thread

>> No.1261749

Last: Hitch 22 by Christopher Hitchens

Currently: Ovid's Metamorphosis

Next: Maybe Hemmingway's Snows of Kilimanjaro, or the Talented Mr. Ripley, haven't decided yet.

>> No.1261755

Last: George R.R. Martin's Feast for Crows
Currently: Malory's Morte D'Arthur
Next: Robin Hobb's Assassin's Quest

I think you can guess I'm balancing my medieval studies with my normal interests...

>> No.1261757

Last read:
The Communist Manifesto
Currently reading:
First as Tragedy, Then as Farce
Plan to read:
Dunno

>> No.1261764

> Last book: Sputniklove - Haruki Murakami
I liked it. Murakami's writing feels very natural, reads fast without seeming superfluous. Some people have their doubts about the ending but I liked that my own interpretation of it made me feel at ease.

>Current book: Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami
Just started.

>Next book: The Great Gatsby
Gets mentioned in Norwegian Wood. Want to see what the fuss is about.

>> No.1261768
File: 7 KB, 252x240, 128454516979537.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1261764
>Next book: The Great Gatsby
>Gets mentioned in Norwegian Wood. Want to see what the fuss is about.

>> No.1261790

Last read: The Old Man And The Sea it was good even if it was a little dull.

Currently: Steppenwolf, I'm only about twenty pages. It's too early to judge.

Next: Either Lolita or Homage To Catalonia.

>> No.1261810

Last: Ancient Stoics; Fragments. Really awesome, not as developed as the latter roman counterparts but I think a lot deeper on physics, etc., while the roman stoics focus on ethics primarily.

Now: Polybius Histories. Good so far, last I read Hannibal was proclaimed general. Expecting some Alp crossing soon.

Afterwards: Bulychev short story collection (soviet and post-soviet sci fi) for a change of pace.

>> No.1261866

>>1261790

Go for Homage to Catalonia next. One of the best books I've ever read, it changed my fucking life.

>> No.1261870

Last book:
R. A. Heinlein - Time Enough for Love - read it if you like sci-fi and time travel.

Currently reading:
P. Singer - Practical Ethics (for ethics class but also semi-interesting)
R. Dawkins - Unweaving the rainbow

Next book:
Hard to tell yet.

>> No.1261873

>The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
>The Life, Universe, and Everything
>So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

how did I go so long without reading these

>> No.1261887

Last Book Read: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Currently Reading: The Fall and Decline of the Roman Empire

Next: Maybe "There Eyes Where Watching God"

>> No.1261896

>>1249806 here

>LAST READ
The Country of Last Things by Paul Auster

>CURRENTLY READING
Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino

>READING NEXT
Never sure on this. Probably The Key by Junichiro Tanizaki.

>> No.1261900

>Last book.
The Army Of The Republic by Stuart Archer Cohen. Heartbreaking ending, though it accomplished what was needed.

>Current book.
A Canticle For Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller.
Really enjoying it, though I only read a couple pages a day since I'm busy with NaNoWriMo.

>Next book.
Either Atonement (since I liked the movie and everyone knows book > movie) or A Separate Peace.

>> No.1261901

Last book I read:
The Count of Monte Cristo. I very much enjoyed it, the style of writing and the characters, not to mention story, were all very much up my street. It was a long read though, took me quite some time to finish it, also some sections were not as good as others.

Currently reading:
The Road and Handmaid's Tale (for English Literature coursework that I'm retaking). I've read them both twice before, but I need to know the books inside and out. I don't like either of them particularly, although I think the Road is the better of the two books.

Next book I plan to read:
I'm undecided. There are so many books that I haven't read and would very much like to. I'm thinking either Don Quixote or the Three Musketeers, although equally high on my list are the short stories of Kafka.

>> No.1261909

Is the thread archived yet?

>> No.1261912

>>1261909
Why would you archive this? We have these threads all the time.

>> No.1261915

>>1261900

I had to read Atonement as an A2 level coursework text last year. I really, really struggled to like it. I don't like the characters; although perhaps you aren't meant to. I just thought that the author failed to grasp female characters as well as he could have and the characters in general were all fairly flat and without much depth.

I haven't seen the film, though perhaps I should. I can't stand Keira Knightley, but if she gets a good rogering in a library in the film, then maybe it'll be almost worthwhile.

>> No.1261916

2001: A Space Odyssey - Arthur C. Clarke
The Trial - Franz Kafka
La Princesse de Cleves

>> No.1261918

>>1261900

Atonement is fantastic. The film definitely didn't do it justice (though I still loved it)

>> No.1261940

Last book read: East of Eden. I loved it - Steinbeck is an amazing storyteller though he may not have the best writing style, he gets his point across

Currently reading: The Count of Monte Cristo: I'm only 20 pages in so far, so I can't really say anything - I wanted to brush up on the classics though

Next book: The Winter Years: I need to read more about Canadian history

>> No.1261945

>>1261887

Their Eyes Were Watching God was a great book imo, one of my favorites I would recommend it to anyone.

>> No.1261953

>>1261764

The Great Gatsby's a good read, don't listen to Fitzgerald haters

>> No.1261955

Last book: Notes from Underground.
> eh. I liked Dosty's other shit better
Not reading anything at the moment. Waiting for The Naked Lunch to arrive in the mail.

>> No.1261962

Last Book: The Portrait (Nikolai Gogol)
Currently: Cannery Row (Fairly funny for me, seems popular here)
Next: For Whom the Bell Tolls (If the prose doesn't kill me out of boredom)

>> No.1261966

>>1249612
Last: Atonement. Loved it.
Currently: East of Eden. Seems alright so far. Just reached Part two.
Next: War & Peace. Got it as a gift for my birthday.

>> No.1261968

>Last - Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox
When the series began it was age appropriate, and now I just... have to finish. They're good for a light read.
>Current - American on Purpose
Fuck you don't judge me. I love Craig Ferguson. Anyways it's meh. Kinda funny I guess.
>Next -
Something Kurt Vonnegut. I haven't decided yet. Sirens of Titan has become my favorite book of all time.

>> No.1261977

>last book
Madame Bovary. "Goddamn slutcakes".
>currently reading
On the Eve "shit mang parents don't understand".
>next book
Uncle Vanya "this is Russian".

>> No.1262014

The greatest show on Earth, Dawkins
The Case for God, Armstrong
Don't know what to read next

>> No.1262250

>>1257477

I actually do count straight up stories as literature. Judging a book as literature by its symbolism (and, to some extent, its depth) is pretty damn shallow in my opinion.

>> No.1262268

Last: Slaughterhouse V
Current: The Great Shark Hunt
Next: 1984

>> No.1262277

>>1262268
You won't be disappointed in your next, bro.
Even the appendix is entertaining. I do recommend reading that when the footnote tells you to, though.

>> No.1262308

>>1249612
Update Time :)

>Voices From Chernobyl
Great read. You don't learn that many facts about the disaster, but you learn how it affected different people and how people came to terms with it.
>The Secret Agent
I've finished the first third and I'm enjoying it so far. Its got intrigue, terrorism, and anarchists. Me gusta.
>The Electric Kool Aid Test
A Nonfiction book written as a narrative (think In Cold Blood) about the hippie movement, etc. I don't really know.

>> No.1262339

I'm not counting ones I read for class
Last: The last book I remember finishing was Good Omens (I read a few inbetween, but they were pretty forgettable) It was absolutely fantastic. I really reccomend it.
Current: I'm reading the Brave Story novel and American Gods. I had to stop in the middle of Brave Story (fucking college), but it was beggining to lag a bit. It's okay; really it's intended for a younger audience and that shows. I read American Gods when I do the laundry or when I'm on break. It's pretty good, but I'll wait until I finish to give a real opinon.
Next: I just ordered Out of the Ashes and I can't wait to get it. It's the sequel to A Strong and Sudden Thaw that finally came out (I'm super pumped)

>> No.1263532

UPDATE TIME

LAST: THE SYMPOSIUM
CURRENT: IVAN THE FOOL
NEXT: THE DEAD

>> No.1263540

Last book: The Glory Game. Very interesting. A look at a season in a football (soccer) club.

Currently: The Eternal Frontier. Very interesting as well, only it's taking me a while to get through because the science takes a bit to process (it's not even heavy duty science, I'm just an idiot). But gives me a good long view of North American geological history.

Next book I plan to read: Billy Liar. I liked the movie so I ought to read the book.

>> No.1263655
File: 7 KB, 120x209, b.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Forgotten realms - Price of Lies loved the first three avatar novels and this just keeps up a good story. I love Cyric in this, every story need a great bad guy :D

Starcraft: fistborn love starcraft novel, had been putting this off till I read all the other novels and this is a real page turner I've nearly gone through half of it today.

what next? I might just go straight a head and read number tow starcraft dark templar: Shadow Hunters

>> No.1263702

UPDATE TIME

LAST READ: IVAN THE FOOL
CURRENTLY: THE DEAD:
NEXT: TORRENTS OF SPRING/SPRING TORRENTS

FUCK YEAH, CLASSICS.

>> No.1263711
File: 12 KB, 469x359, Spider-Man (3).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Last book you read
>Currently reading
Catch-22
I don't know. I was thinking Don Quixote, but eh... Suggestions?

And before anyone asks, yes, I am high school senior fag, though I must point out that I'm reading these for pleasure alone.

>> No.1263730

>past

The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory

>present

Snorri Sturlusson's 'Younger Edda', a re-read but it's a new translation I just got my hands on.

>future

Walden - Henry David Thoreau

>> No.1263732

Last book: The Hamlet
Current: Blood Meridian
Next: Goodbye Columbus

Senior Creative Writing major here.

>> No.1263734

>>1263730

>Walden

THAT'S NOT SCI-FI! OH MY GOD YOU'RE A PRETENTIOUS HIPSTER!

>> No.1263736

>>1263734

So much for that frequently bandied-about saw that Sci-fi and Fantasy readers can't appreciate TROO LITERATURE, am I right?

But seriously I have posted in the Classic and Contemporary Lit threads frequently enough that you should well know my diet does include the favorites of hipsters everywhere.

>> No.1263738

>last book
Little, Big by John Crowley
Little, Big is an infuriating irritating annoying book it refuses to make sense or have a plot or tell a story or go anywhere and proudly wallows in this in the smug self-satisfied elitism of Modernist Literature Establishment
>currently reading
about to begin Pirate Freedom by Gene Wolfe
Gene Wolfe!
PIRATES!
>next book
I dunno there is 45

>> No.1263739

>>1263736
JUST LETTING YOU KNOW THAT THAT POST WASN'T BY ME.

I NEVER CALL ANYONE HIPSTERS, AS I STUDY ACCOUNTING AND THEY DON'T EXIST IN MY MAJOR :(

>> No.1263742

>>1263736

>admitting he's a self-loathing hipster

>> No.1263759

Last Read: Shakespeare - Bill Bryson
- Very good, but far too short and no where near enough detail on the politcal contect of the plays.

Current Read: The Greatest Show on Earth- the Evidence For Evolution - Richard Dawkins. The entire book reads as if he wrote it with the caps lock on.

Next read: Part two of Stephen Fry's autobiography, whatever it is called.

>> No.1263949

>implying I only read one book at a time

>> No.1263951

Last: Watership Down
Current: Dubliners/Vineland
Next: Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? or the complete works of Kafka

>> No.1263952

Last: Ulysses
Current: 2666
Next: L'étranger

>> No.1263958

>>1263759
Your caps lock quip means you are recognizing the fact that Dawkins is a butthurt douche, yes?

>> No.1263960

>>1263759
I HOPE NO BLAME IS DIRECTED TO ME FOR THAT

>> No.1263961

>>1263711
if you're reading the English translation it is a lot easier to flow through it however it stays thick throughout and a sort of lifestyle must be adhered to in reading it because of the action and vocabulary involved. Go for the thickest version you can find, I have a Harvard edition (English) and two Spanish copies in a little book (abridged) and an anthology (abridged). I have yet to read an unabridged in Spanish although I have read it once in Spanish now (abridged) after having read a little of it in English.

>> No.1263989

Last book you read: the great gatsby- rereading it because my younger brother is studying it for literature at school.
Currently reading: the sea wolfs- i find myself relating to the character of hump on a disturbingly high level
Next book you plan to read: a single man

>> No.1263994

>>1263759
you're in for a treat with fry's new book

>> No.1264045

I don't know how some of you can read these books and have so little to say about them. I only get to 3 or 4 books a month, but when I finish each I have to digest them for a few days. Referring to great books: Faulkner, Joyce, etc.

>> No.1265121

Last book: Catch-22, an absurdly brilliant book. I think it might be my favorite book out of all the books I've ever read. :O
Next: Closing Time. :P

>> No.1265132
File: 5 KB, 165x97, Bur.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last:
The Beautiful and Damned, Fitzgerald - I liked it, had some dull moments but the story over-all was good

Current:
Perfume, Patrick Suskind - Quite enjoying it, I think of it as a more classical American Psycho

Next:
Rant, Chuck Palahnuik - I hear it's his best.

>> No.1265153

>last book: Hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world -- awesome book. it had a very sarcastic, almost cynical humor that i really enjoyed and it was just a fun read, trying to figure out what was happening or going to happen

current book: wind-up bird chronicle -- i haven't started it yet because i basically just finished my last book

next book: dance dance dance -- the summary sounded good and i'm trying to read all of murakami's translated works

>> No.1265165

Last: Heart of Darkness
Current: The God of Small Things
Next: ?

>> No.1265172

>>1265153
>trying to read all of Murakami's translated works

NO SHIT SHERLOCK

>> No.1265175

>Last book: Catcher in the Rye
Damn despite everything it actually was a good book. And at moments quite touching as well.
>Currently reading: House of Leaves
Holy fuck this is amazing. It's so well-written, escpacially Truant's footnotes, shit.
>Next book you plan to read: Siddharta
Not completely sure, but I've heard a lot of good things about Hesse on /lit/. Might give it a try.

>> No.1265177

>>1261896
Updating again!

>LAST READ
Cosmicomics by Italo Calvino

>CURRENTLY READING
The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa

>READING NEXT
Probably going to finish up The Man in the High Castle or The Prose Edda.

>> No.1265187

>Last book you read: The Fellowship of the Ring
>Currently reading: The Two Towers
>Next book you plan to read: The Return of the King

Enjoying it a lot so far. Really made me reconsider me views on the Fantasy genre. I think I'll give the whole Song of Fire and Ice saga a try after I'm done.

>> No.1265196

>Last
House of Leaves- I liked it a lot. It was very different, creepy, and thought provoking
>Current
Fight Club- Love it, a little too easy to read and it's a bit short, i know when i finish I am going to want more, which will lead me to eventually read choke or haunted
>Next
maybe 1984, I have already read it 3 times but i can't get enough of it. If not Haunted or Choke.

>> No.1265221

Last: The Stranger. Started slow, got really good.
Current: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Haven't read enough to judge, but it's funny enough to begin.
Next: The Picture of Dorian Gray

>> No.1265226

>>1261764
Talking about books mentioned in Norwegian Wood, I remember the main character reading The Magic Mountain. Has anyone read it?

>> No.1265253
File: 65 KB, 646x599, Spider-Man (11).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1263711
Okay, forget Don Quixote for now. I now have in my possession both Utopia and The Brothers Karamazov.

Which should I read first? Anything I should know / be on the lookout for when reading either?

>> No.1265296

Last: Zombie survival guide
Currently: Los de abajo by Mariano Azuela
Next: Master and Margarita

>> No.1265334

Last: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami - I enjoyed most of it, didn't like the ending that much
Current: Freedom by Jonathan Franzen -Just started it, but it's good so far.
Next: A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - My first time reading Joyce, should be interesting.

>> No.1265408

>>1249612
I'm an avid reader and I had to admit one day that i found this book some where and the person not caring about it let me have it. I tried reading it and was completely confused. Later on(few years) found out that Fahrenheit 451 was like one of those must reads for English lit. No I can't find the book!

Currently reading "The Prestige" by Christopher Priest.

Next, Shutter Island by whoever. It just came out so I know I wont have trouble finding it.

>> No.1265436

>>1265296

I envy your first encounter with the master.

>> No.1267197

I don't want this thread to die...

>> No.1267208

Last: of mice and men
Currently: contracts( I'm in law school)
Best ever: house of leaves

>> No.1268237

BUNP

>Last read: Garden of Eden by Ernest Hemingway.

The beginning of this book is beautiful. It has a lazy, soporific tone that makes you almost feel as if you ARE vacationing with David and Catherine. I also enjoyed the way Hemingway refrained from using names at first, then introduced them as the two began to separate from each other.

As an aside, when Catherine wanted David to play at being a woman, I smiled and shook my head in amusement at how much he balked. I understand that in Hemingway's era the macho, masculine man was very much en vogue, and crossdressing or otherwise engaging in feminine activity was verboten.

But had Catherine proposed such an idea to me I would have jumped at the chance. Because, well, I come from an imageboard full of gay little boys who wish to be the little girl from their favorite Japanese cartoons or games or whatnot, and pretending to be a girl is more or less encouraged around these parts.

>Currently reading: Walden - Henry David Thoreau

I was supposed to read this first, but I decided to spite someone on here by reading some Hemingway before this. It was a wise decision. We'll see how this goes.

>Future reading: To be decided. I have 1,000 unread e-books looking me in the eye.

>> No.1268255

>Last read: The Body Artist by Don Delillo

Pornographic fantasy writing for decrepit old farts.

>Currently reading: Old Arcadia - Edmund Spenser

Just started, looks like a long ol pain in the ass

>Future reading: Ecce Homo

I have read quite a bit of it already.

>> No.1268257

>Last book
The World Is Flat-Complex analysis of Globalization. It's amazing simply because of how in depth he goes into this subject. It's also kind of eery how connected our world is getting

>Currently reading
Life Of Pi-A boy on a lifeboat with a tiger. I love how he took such a stupid idea and made it so fucking good.

>Next I'm reading
Naked Lunch-Started it, stopped after the first page. I'm going to try again because..well, why not?

>> No.1268424

>>1268257
>Life of Pi
All well and good until the feces-eating and other related bullshit.

>> No.1268430

>>1268424

I am starting to notice a disturbing trend of shit-eating in /lit/'s favorite books.

>> No.1268443

>>1268430
Not even human feces. Tiger feces.

Honestly, though, I don't know if that makes it better or far, far worse.

>> No.1268472

>Last book you read: Roots by Alex Haley. I liked it, but I just like a lot of those civil rights movement books in spite of being white myself.
>Currently reading: Dead Souls by Gogol. I find it funny, but continue to feel frustrated by Russian lit's habit of giving each character 5-6 names which gets very confusing sometimes.
>Next book you plan to read: Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I heard it wasn't a very good book, but I'm interested in it in a historical context I suppose.

>> No.1268555

>Last Book
Catcher in the Rye
Work of art, extraordinarily glad I read it.

>Currently Reading
Battle Royale
Long winded, but extremely entertaining, deeper than meets the eye

>Next Book
Speaker for the Dead

Tried once when I was younger. Loved Ender's Game. Gonna give this another shot.

>> No.1268664

>Last Book
The Perks of Being a Wallfower: really good, exceeded my expectations

>Currently Reading
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist. Shit book, don't know why I'm reading it.

>Next Book
Ender's Game. One of those books I've always planned to read but have never gotten around to it

>> No.1268670

Last book: Chasing the dime by Michael Connelly
I already read it a couple of times, I really like it. If hitchcock were alive today this book would be perfect for him to adapt
Next book: No fucking clue. I want to read the reversal by Connelly or I, Sniper by Stephen Hunter but I usually wait until paperback comes out.

>> No.1268697

Last book: The Black Prism
Current book: Nothing
Next book I plan to read: The next book Brent Weeks comes out with

>> No.1268710

>>1268555

>Speaker for the Dead
>Tried once when I was younger. Loved Ender's Game. Gonna give this another shot.

You'll definitely enjoy Speaker for the Dead now that you're older. It is much more adult than Ender's Game.

Lets face it, Ender's Game is great (I loved it), but it is best suited as a young adult novel.
Fun fact: the only reason Ender's Game exists as a novel is to set-up Speaker for the Dead

>> No.1268713

>>1268424
Long descriptions of eating tiger shit make every story better.

>> No.1268770

UPDATE TIME:

LAST: POLIKUSHKA - TOLSTOY
CURRENT: THE CANDLE - TOLSTOY
NEXT: ENVY - OLESHA

FUCK YEAH, KEEPING UP THE RUSSIAN.

>> No.1268815

>>1268670
Read I Sniper, it's his best book in my opinion. :)

>> No.1268843

Last: Call of the Wild It was a fun easy read.
Current: The House with Seven Gables Interesting so far, but he tends to describe things as more than I'd prefer.
Next: Not sure but leaning toward Carlyle's The French Revolution (at least volume 1).

>> No.1268851

last: kindred
current: night listener
future hauron and the sea stories
all for my class good books though

>> No.1268857

Last Book: 2007 Nebula short story winners.
Current Book: Some other short stories.
Next Book: They're all holding me over for A Game of Thrones. woohoooo

>> No.1268865

Last: All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
Current: Angela's Ashes
Next: Maybe the Crossing or White Noise.

>> No.1268877

Last book: Lolita
yup, still just as good the twelfth time around.
Currently: Let Me In
everything Twilight isn't
Next book: Looking for Alaska

>> No.1268878

Last: American Constitutional Society - The Real George Washington
Now: Steig Larson - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Next: Michael Connelly - The Scarecrow

>> No.1268880

>>1249612

>>Last book you read
the fall of neskaya
>>Currently reading
a brief history of time
>>Next book you plan to read
something by orson scot card. something new.

>> No.1268891
File: 11 KB, 256x253, 1289279786007.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

last - Black Hole by Charles Burns
current - Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky / Lord of the Flies by Golding
plans - more Dostoyevsky, Catch-22, Never Let Me Go, Shakespeare's Othello

> i don't read too much graphic novels but this one was exceptional.
> a heavy combination. Lord of the Flies got passed me in high-school so i'm giving it a go. its alright. and i got Crime and Punishment as a gift and i love it so far.
> it's only a slice of a longer list... also some more books that got passed me in high-school.

>> No.1268911

Last Book: Slaughterhouse-Five
Current book: The Metamorphosis
Next: A collection of H.P Lovecraft stories

>> No.1268914

Last Book: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Currently Reading: The Old Man and the Sea

About to Read: Either Ulysses (I know, but I have to try) or Beau Geste

>> No.1269353

FUCK YEAH, ANOTHER UPDATE. I READ A LOT TODAY

LAST READ: ENVY (OLESA) (WHY IS THIS NOT DISCUSSED OFTEN HERE IN /LIT/? IT'S FUCKING AWESOME SATIRE)

CURRENTLY: THE COSSACKS (TOLSTOY)

NEXT: THE ETERNAL HUSBAND (DOSTOEVSKY)

>> No.1269355
File: 283 KB, 1024x768, rotk..jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Last book you read
Madwand by Roger Zelazny
>Currently reading
Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong, translated by Moss Roberts
Twelve Kingdoms by Fuyumi Ono

Madwand was pretty bland for Zelazny. Typical fantasy wizardry and a disconnected narrator.

I got the abridged version of Three Kingdoms and I think I'm regretting it. It's all "this happened, then this guy did that, then she seduced him and turned him against this guy, and then this happened, and then Xaunde has five different names" and so it reads like a checkbook. Still, it's interesting. I'll probably get the unabridged to read later on.

I'm excited for Twelve Kingdoms. I dunno what else to say about that, as I haven't read it.

>> No.1269364
File: 140 KB, 500x500, 111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Last book: A Feast For crows
Current Book: Pic Related
Next: City of Glass

Last: The book is still really good like all of the series, but it's probably the worst so far. While it makes since that the reconstruction period after a large war would be slower paced, i don't think splitting the story into two parts was effective.

Current: Though i'm new Chomsky's ideas i find his discussion of our political system to be apt.

>> No.1269365
File: 71 KB, 360x541, 111.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

oops wrong pic

>> No.1269375

>>1269364
By "apt" do you mean "completely fucking stupid"?

>> No.1269377

>last book you read
The Rebel Sell
>currently reading
Ender's Game
>next to read
At the Mount of Madness or The Prince

>thoughts
The Rebel Sell was an interesting and thorough attack on counter-cultural principles that wasn't as conservative as I first imagined; it just wants to make sure the left don't stray into ridiculousness *cough* Michael Moore *cough* It was very enlightening if sometimes only finding new ways to dress up the same point.
Ender's Game is amazing, end of.

I'm torn between Mount and The Prince. Ender's is the first 'fun' book I've read in an age; I study English at Uni though so I don't like reading the classics for study AND in my spare time right now though.

>> No.1269378

Last book: They and We (essay on slavery)
Currently reading: none
Next books I plan to read: Petersburg (a different translation)
Sartor Resartus
Strong as Death and Other Stories

>> No.1269379

>>1269364
I really like Menonema. It would have been cooler if you left the Menonema pic. Nothing's sexier than a deep thinker on Linguistics and a listener of experimental indie pop.

>> No.1269380

>>1269375
No, but please do keep trolling.

>> No.1269383

>>1269378
FUCK MAN, I PROMISE WHEN I GET BACK FROM JAPAN THAT THE FIRST BOOK PURCHASE I MADE WILL BE PETERSBURG. I HOPE YOU ARE STILL HERE THEN TO TELL ME WHICH TRANSLATION IS BEST.

>> No.1269395

> the count of monte cristo
Nothing will ever compare. What book should be read after reading this masterpiece:(

> a song of ice and fire: a game if thrones
I wish Edmond dantes would be in it somewhere

> Lolita
I am a pedobear and it sounds good