[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 12 KB, 426x304, 1285412541561.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1243761 No.1243761 [Reply] [Original]

>looking at people I don't know well on facebook
>go into profile info
>see either no books or "reading is gay" under books
>disapprove of their existence

Can /lit/ relate?

>> No.1243765

Yeah.

>> No.1243764

no, we don't have people like that in Europe...

>> No.1243767

Worse. See "Scar Tissue" by that RHCP faggot or only "On the Road".

>> No.1243772

First person I see, 15 year old friend of family:
His dark materials, coram boy, the gargoyle

Second person:
"Donnnn't read"

Third Person:
1984, The Odyssey, High Fidelity, Catch-22

Fourth person:
A Child Called It

Fifth Person:
Well I Don't Like Reading

Sixth Person:
Kafka, Palanhuik, Vonnegut

I've grown up in a mix of people who are chavs and hate anything that isn't television and those who are a bit more educated and like books.

>> No.1243786
File: 1.35 MB, 300x169, bo.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

yes, myspace WAS annoying for this kind of thing

>> No.1243791

First person: I don't read.
Second person: Alastair Reynolds, Philip Pullman.
Third person: The Wheel of Time, also a German book with a very long title.
Fourth person: H. P. Lovecraft, Edgar Allen Poe.
Fifth person: Louis Couperus, Anna Akhmatova.

>> No.1243799
File: 25 KB, 400x400, tomcruize.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I picked the six at random from my list. Only one person listed any books. Here is his:

The Dark Matter Trilogy, Lord Of The Rings, Wilbur Smith, A Brief History of Nearly Everything

Fuck yeh New Zealand, land of the unread! :D

>mfw I don't actually care; I'm drunk and will forget what I posted in this thread.

P.S. Here is a lyric I made up just now

Wine wine wine,
This shit is divine.

>> No.1243803

1. n/a
2. nm but angels and deamons
3. n/a
4. n/a
5. n/a
probs couldnt think of anything so left it blank im guessing... but we all joined in 06/07 so not suprising cbf filling in a stupid online form

>> No.1243806

I read books, then lend them out and never see them again — but those are my favorite books.

A Map of Life, Bless Me, Ultima, Crime and Punishment, Heart of Darkness, Holy Bible, I Am America, Pride and Prejudice, The Devil Does He Exist and What Does He Do, The Screwtape Letters

Not even a section

Jack Kerouac, Albert Camus, The Stranger, Come Holy Spirit, Fateless

Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time, JtHM, Dr. Seuss, Shadow of the Red Moon

no section

Does this count as an invasion of privacy? I just get really worried about that.

>> No.1243814

I've never actually looked at the What I Like section on peoples' profiles. I didn't bother filling my own out either. Who cares?

But now that my interest is piqued, here's 5 I picked at random:
>1. none
2. Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants, Pretties, Go Ask Alice, Crank, The Body of Christopher Creed, The Skin I'm In, The House of the Scorpion, Harry Potter, Shug, Pride and Prejudice, The Time Traveler's Wife, The Secret Life of Bees
>3. Twilight, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn
4. none
>5. none

>> No.1243815

>>1243806
>Does this count as an invasion of privacy?

Looking at stuff they wrote specifically in mind for people to look at? Can't be any worse than reading what they write on their walls, or looking at their pictures.

>> No.1243817

>>1243815
Well yeah, but if I knew some guy was copypasting info from my profile to 4chan of all places I wouldn't be too OK with that.

>> No.1243829

I prefer not filling the books-section over name-dropping of all these cool and fancy authors.
I read plenty of books, and maybe I'll put my favourite one in one of the lists, but really, why bother?

>> No.1243833

The whole "why bother?" argument only really works if you have no likes at all on your page. If you've filled your movie or tv sections, its not a fucking stretch to conclude you don't read.

>> No.1243834

First five friends I see:

Pride and Prejudice

Frankenstein

Harry Potter, Twilight series (fuuuuuu-)

Lemony Snicketts, Harry Potter, Deltora Quest, Keys to the Kingdom, Bridge to Terabithia

Lord Of The Rings, An Evening With Marilyn, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, Cut Hollywood Murders, Haunted, Oh, the Places You'll Go!, The Witches, The Crucible, A Confederacy of Dunces, Greek Mythology, Frank Miller's Sin City, Harry Potter

Is it weird that they steadily got longer?

>> No.1243837

>browsing /lit/
>thread about peoples facebook accounts
>OP has a facebook account
>OP is a faggot
>disaprove of his existence

can /lit/ relate?

>> No.1243840
File: 42 KB, 280x260, fa.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1243837
no

I can now assume that you are a friendless loner

>> No.1243843

1. Saint-Exupery, Hesse, Nietzsche, Hamsun, Tagore, Eichendorff, Byron, Yeats, Wilde

2. Hesse, Kafka, Nietzsche, Sartre, Shakespeare, St. Augustine

3. No section. But I know he likes Chuck Palahniuk.

4. Robert Graves

5. Homer, Virgil, Dante, Cioran

So my Facebook friends do ok. I tried internet dating once though and everybody had read some combination of the same six or seven books, and nothing else. Depressing.

>> No.1243844

>>1243761
To be frank, OP, if you're:

#1. Looking at people you don't know on Facebook.
#2. On fucking Facebook to begin with.

You kind of forefit your right to be judgmental of anyone. I'm sure that won't stop you though. How's your Farmville farm coming?

>> No.1243846

>>1243844
>#2
>thinks some people don't just give facebook false info and use it to communicate with friends.

>> No.1243847

>>1243846
>Thinks Facebook is a good way to communicate with friends

>> No.1243848

>>1243840
jesus christ! since when do we equate facebook with the quality or quantity of friends a person has?!

you kids today, i swear, you're all fucked in the head...

>> No.1243849

>>1243848
Like, I totally have over a thousand Facebook friends. You're, like, a total loser or something.

*twirls hair, rolls eyes, smacks bubblegum*

>> No.1243852

>>1243847
>thinks facebook groups isn't a good way to coordinate

>> No.1243855

There was an episode of QI recently where Stephen Fry asked the panel how many real friends they have, and they came up with about four or five each. If that's how it is for people on TV who are loved by half the nation, my life is probably better than I realised.

>> No.1243856

>>1243806
>Does this count as an invasion of privacy?
No and no, because nothing is invaded and it wasn't private in the first place.
>>1243817
Then that would be your problem, no one else's. There is no word for the kind of idiot who would get upset over people finding out about something they were ALREADY telling anyone.

However that wouldn't even happen because it's not linked to any personal information!

>> No.1243858

>disapproves of facebook

Hey, grandad. How'd you find your way onto the internet?

>> No.1243860

Facebook gives you cancer :(

>> No.1243863

>>1243855
They're probably older than you. You'll probably have five real friends at Fry's age too.

>> No.1243866

>>1243858
Um, by designing and programming the fucking routers and hubs that connect your punk ass to it.

What's your contribution to the world? Being really, really good at Farmville?

>> No.1243869

Not really sure how I feel about this, in large social circles I think the escapism of reading is considered socially retarded. Considering how Facebook is just built as a communal friendship network, with its basis in inviting people to parties etc.

I think I put one author down (Samuel Taylor Coleridge), but I really couldn't find the energy to type out every author I read, just so others can summarize me and what could be my either bad or acceptable taste

All in all Facebook like everything else has good and bad culture on it, however the bad does seem to be drastically louder and boorish.

>> No.1243872

I think everyone under 21 thinks Facebook is really great, because they're too young to get in a lot of bars and clubs, so Facebook is like a major center of their social world. The people who are between 21-30 think Facebook is great for getting people together at bars and clubs and then talking about it after. It's relegated to a supporting role in their social structure.

People over 30 are either so fucking bored with the bar/club scene that they're onto something else-- for which Facebook again gets the supporting role, or they've become established in their careers and lives, at which time Facebook becomes a childish absurdity.

>> No.1243874

>>1243863
He's more than twice my age, but I've only got about five now if we're differentiating between *friends* and long-term acquaintances. I just find it comforting.

>> No.1243892

>>1243866
>>1243866
>contribution to the world
>designing routers

Lol.

>> No.1243901

I didn't even know people looked at interests! You guys guilted me into going on and updating my decrepit profile.

I think that asking someone to put their favorite books is unreasonable. For me, it depends on my mood and, at any rate, narrowing down the list would be nigh impossible. I just entered the closest shelf of my bookcase as a cross section of my collection.

>> No.1243906

BEES

>> No.1243909

>>1243866
>implying that is in anyway a contribution to humanity
> implying people who work in IT are of any worth whatsoever
>implying a cisco course in networking is a significant achievement or is difficult to do/get in to

I mean, really?

>> No.1243939

>>1243909
Hey. Don't be that guy. You sound like one of those library card cunts from /sci/

>> No.1243984

Fucking dan brown everywhere, fucking don't read xD
Most of those people are only acquaintances, or random girls I will proceed to hump.

I still remember in high school some people who did read pretended they didn't because it wasn't "cool", shit was cash, they really hoped to be beter accepted by not having a taste/style/hobbys of their own and just sucking up to the cool kids. So kids reading this, I was always popular, I've been reading for as long as I remember, people don't care as long as you don't, all you need to be popular in HS is to be sociable and have an actual personality (or be good looking/jock).

Then one day you will go for university, and you will bump into some of those "don't like reading xD" fellows from your high school, and it will make you sad at how down in the gutter they are, same interests, same clothes, terrible job, same mentality.

So kids, read on, be the best you can be! Cultivate yourselfs, take pleasure in it, but wathever you do, don't start bragging about the books you read and shit, you aren't impressing anyonebut retards.

>> No.1243988

>>1243984

Shit I'm high.

>> No.1243990

>>1243984
nerdy virgin that is jelly of alphas

>> No.1243992

>>1243984
I would say just don't base you identity on "Yeah I'm a nerd I read everyone else is stupid and below me" because that will inevitable lead to bragging about the shit you read.

>> No.1243994

I met up with a friend from high school that was about intellectual equal with me at the time (we were both top of the class in English). He doesn't know any Theory, thinks psychoanalysis ("freudianism" as he so quaintly puts it) is a complete load of bullshit (he doesn't know any Theory) and says he is writing a book.

These people can rot their brains for all I care, it simply makes the task of getting up the academic ladder on the backs of the ignorant that much easier.

>> No.1244003

>>1243992
Spot on.

>>1243990
Yes.

>> No.1244012

>>1243994
I bet he doesn't even know any Theory.

>> No.1244013

I'm a bit touchy about what I say my favorite authors and books are because I know I like a lot of shit. I have tons of legitimate literature in my library but at the same time I find myself loving airport novelists like Dean Koontz, Michael Crichton and Stephen King.

>> No.1244027

Could be worse, could be my best friend, sure he reads, but this is his facebook.

I also want it noted he hasn't actually read Chekov, he just tries namedropping Russian writers because he's one of those types (you know who I mean)

>> No.1244030
File: 8 KB, 369x90, badtaste.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1244027
Forgot my image.

>> No.1244058

Checked the most recent updates.

Four with nothing listed, the other one: To Kill A Mocking Bird, Bourne Supremacy, Patriot Games, Sons of Fortune, The King of Torts.

My own profile has nothing at all listed. I removed everything after reading about some privacy-hurting action Facebook did and raging. Yeah, I know they'll still have all the data I entered there before.

>> No.1244107

1. The Dust Bowl, Cather in the Rye, To Kill a Mockingbird
2. Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Philip K. Dick, Erich Fromm, Heart of Darkness, The Tempest, A Midsummer Night's Dream, H.G. Wells, The Bluest Eye, Waiting for the Barbarians, Kafka, Regarding the Pain of Others, Regeneration, Safe Area Goražde, Never Let Me Go Kazuo Ishiguro, Oryx and Crake, George Orwell, William Blake, Shakespeare, War Narratives, How We Think, Charles Bukowski, Dystopian fiction, Luis J. Rodriguez, Gabriel García Márquez, Pablo Neruda, Dante's Inferno, The Things They Carried, Noam Chomsky, Judith Butler, Michel Foucault, War in the Age of Intelligent Machines, A People's History of the United States Howard Zinn, The Invention of Moreland 19 more