[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 200 KB, 330x500, 6a00d83452439d69e20133f2863b8d970b-800wi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1241904 No.1241904 [Reply] [Original]

Don DeLillo thread?
I recently purchased penguin's new collection of book cover art (gorgeoussss, loving the great modern artists bid to redesign some of these classics) and there was a really stunning review of his book 'White Noise'.
Just wondering if anyone's a fan or could tell me if he's worth picking up.

>> No.1241906

I would go for it, he is quite the poster-child for ontological questions (le dominant) that post-modern writing is concerned with

>> No.1241928

>>1241906
i like things described as post-modern as a general rule, even though i couldn't name you any authors classified as "post modern" or even "modern".

>> No.1241931

His linguistic game is a little stilted but he has a good method. Or at least a procedure that works consistently. (Wallace referred to his specifically in DeLillo's writing as 'clicking.' Idea and image coming into place harmoniously.) His work rarely feels like a waste of time. And if you look at what he's saying when (as in which year it comes out) he writes books you can tell he's definitely thinking ahead of the curve.

Fair warning: I haven't read anything past Body Artist and have heard bad things. But White Noise, Mao II, etc are all pretty good times.

>> No.1242467

Yes, he's worth picking up. Besides "White Noise" the title I usually recommend is "Great Jones Street", just because it tends to resonate with people who haven't read him before.

>> No.1242676

A hail of bullets.

>> No.1242689

White Noise is a bad book and Delillo should feel bad for writing such a smug "satire"

>> No.1242698

White Noise is my favorite book after The Tin Drum. It is definitely worth your time. I am in the middle of Underworld right now and enjoying it.

>> No.1242709

i just finished reading this. it was pretty decent, i liked some of the characters.

it's definitely 'look how hard academia is' though.

>> No.1242970

>>1242709
I have to disagree. I think the 'satire' is how ridiculous academia is. He is a hitler studies professor who can't speak German, his colleague is teaching a lecture on car crashes in film, etc. It's not so much that academia is 'hard' but that overall it is trivial and pointless.

>> No.1242977

God damn Penguin always has the best designs. I need a new copy of this anyway.

Yes, I thought it was a great book.

>> No.1242996

just finished the first three chapters and the dialouge is the same across the board for every character. even the eleven year old is long winded.
pretty spooky so far though.

>> No.1242998

i'm reading Cosmopolis right now. Delillo is great.

However, I hate those new covers. Looks like you're reading a fucking graphic novel published last year or something. Real cheap looking.

>> No.1243005

>>1242970

i thought he was making fun of novelty academia. how academics are specializing themselves into absurdity.