[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 121 KB, 683x573, thread.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12405754 No.12405754 [Reply] [Original]

Rules:

1-Go to www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/search/?sort_order=random or any other random book generator
2-Choose one of the results to read, and post it below
3-Have fun!

>> No.12405864

>>12405754
I stumbled upon Cale Young Rice at the first roll. Besides the weird name he seems interesting. Wrote a few plays and some poetry. Married to a famous author, Alice Hegan Rice, which he lived happily with until her death 1942. Their marriage was childless and the loneliness must've gotten to him, he fell into a depression and died a year later of suicide by gunshot.

A total of five ratings on Goodreads, a few mentions on different forums for poetry, otherwise nearly forgotten. Shit touches me man..

I'm reading "A Night in Avignon" right now, I'll post a review after I'm done.

>> No.12405901

>>12405754
Kalevala.
Good that I own it.

>> No.12406023

>>12405754
>>12405864
I'm back. A Night in Avignon was a beautifully written, poetic drama. Don't read this if don't want to be spoiled.

It's about Petrarca, a young poet and scholar, who happens to be madly in love with Laura. She's married to an unfaithful abuser, but being the loyal wife she is, she refuses to leave him, despite Petrarcas attempts to court her. For two years he sings for her without luck. Tired of being as pure and faithful as Laura, tired of the loneliness and rejection of his soulmate, he turns to Sancia, a "lady of light life". He's advised by his brother, a monk, that it's the wrong choice. He should stay loyal and pure, that is the christian way, he cannot sooth the aching of love with "love and lower", it's impossible to cure it with more madness.

Petrasca doesn't listen, he's tired of being the laughing stock of the whole town. He's tired of being unwanted. Hearing the church bells makes him hesitate for a second. His brother tells him that his sins will be on him, which launches Petrasca into a rant about how his approaching pleasures with Sancia is justified, they'll drink, laugh and kiss, god made men to enjoy earth's beauty, as did the great sacred bards and sages, Homer, Virgil and Plato.

Filled again with courage, he welcomes Sancia, Filippa and Lello into his home. He kisses Sancia, praise her to the sky, they drink. They all engage in sin and after a while are interrupted by Petrascas servant, who tells him Lady Laura is at the door.

>> No.12406081

>>12406023
He panics, and ushers the guests into the other room and invites Laura up. She comes up, as beautiful as ever, and starts to confess her love for Petrasca. She's finally realized that her unfaithful husband is nothing but scum. She's ready to leave him for Petrasca, who almost faints, stumbling at his own words. She notices the wine bottles on the table, and hears Sancia from the other room. She's devastated, comparing Petrasca to her husband and then she hurries off.

The play is certainly beautiful. The language flows with the emotion portrayed in each sentence. The drama is poetic, and the verse is dramatic. Skillfully executed, up until the end. After Laura storms off, it kind of just stops. There's no real ending. The story goes on after the last page. I'm certain it does. If not Petrasca kills himself, which if he does we should've been told about. It's like Rice stirs up all these emotions, fueling it until it's a fiery gust that's suddenly released unto us, but we're left there. Looking for the emotions we just had explode into our face, but there's nothing more to it. Ultimately I'm left unsatisfied. It could have been much more.

>> No.12406278

>>12406023
>>12406081
Very nice Anon, shame the ending wasnt enjoyable, i got that feeling too when reading some algernon blackwood. Thanks for playing

>> No.12406339

>>12406278
Did you find Algernon Blackwood by randomizing on Gutenberg? Is he worth reading?

I just found "The Taming of the Jungle" by Charles William Doyle which I'll start now, seems promising.

>> No.12406417

>>12406339
Yes i did. Read The Man Whom the Trees Loved and The Willows. Basically horror-lite that is more psychological than anything else, but he sure can set the tone well. Don't really know him that much, but i likes the man whom the trees loved better than the willows, so if you would like to read him i'd suggest that

>> No.12406466

>Your IP Address is Blocked from www.gutenberg.org
>We apologize for this inconvenience. Your IP address has been automatically blocked from the address you tried to visit at www.gutenberg.org. This is because the geoIP database shows your address is in the country of Germany.
Nice book!

>> No.12406551
File: 187 KB, 327x316, 30f.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12406466
>gutenberg.org
>blocked in Germany

>> No.12407938

bump

>> No.12409184

>>12406417
I'll look into it!

>> No.12409199

>>12406466
Is it a federal crime to read free in germany?

>> No.12410613
File: 29 KB, 524x313, gutenberg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12405754
>random
>gutenberg.org
>first result is John Gutenberg,First Master Printer
He's just trying to shill his own book.

>> No.12412339

>>12410613
kek