[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 185 KB, 330x500, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12388090 No.12388090 [Reply] [Original]

im trying to read pic realted, I just started it but I can't really take the plot seriously, some have told me it's really good but I just can't see this type of society even working, I don't need the writer to tell me why it's wrong and whatnot, does it get better?

>> No.12388156

>>12388090
>I can’t see a society where people take drugs to be happy ever working
What the fuck do you think Southern California and New York City are. Nearly every liberal fag on here shills taking hard drugs.

>> No.12388175

>>12388156
I think the book goes further than just drugs man, maybe I'm wrong im like 10 pages in

The whole thing about engineered babies and getting assigned a place on society and learning to "love it" bothers me, I feel that the writer thinks I'm dumb or something

>> No.12388194
File: 22 KB, 316x316, Emerson,_Lake_&_Palmer_-_Tarkus_(1971)_front_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12388090
>but I just can't see this type of society even working
The society isnt very much supposed to be an accurate prediction, but a set of diferent theories melt together. Huxley explains this very well in the BNW Revisited, and shows his arguements that lead him to think that society could go look like that in any of those particular theories.
Near the end where the main character talks with one of the world leaders he expands more or less his ideas aswell.
But if you dont want to sit around a analise the whole book i recommend you to read BNW revisited.

>> No.12388205

>>12388194
>tarkus
based and redpilled imma read it anyways

>> No.12388246

>>12388175
>The whole thing about engineered babies and getting assigned a place on society and learning to "love it" bothers me
Its bizarre but you are not very far from it. China has already began testing on test tube genetical engineered babies, its a matter of time until they learn how to make them smarter, stronger and more charismatic and it proves to be a solution to overpopulation.
If we "westernise" the majority of the population and reach an overpopulation crisis then it would be very easy to use "rational" arguements to make a sort of state controlled repopulation, where the state creates "perfect" humans, that out class us, in test tubes and regulates the population number and solving the crisis.
The book rambles about the "confort vs freedom" theme.

>> No.12388253

>>12388246
>giving up on humanity to make humanity "better"

uuuuuh, overpopulation is a meme tho

>> No.12388259

>>12388090
>does it get better?
Sometimes it's just hard to get into a book. Try again in a month or a year. One of my most favorite books I picked up three times before it finally clicked with me.

In this case, you're jsut a fuckstick that can't appreciate any ideas separate from those you have already internalized.

>> No.12388300

>>12388253
>overpopulation is a meme tho
Really? Explain to me how can you manage food and resources for a population that is increasing exponentially and even increasing its life expectancy.

>giving up on humanity to make humanity "better"
But what means are you "giving up" on "humanity"? By not having kids? Raising kids is as humane as it is not having any.
If people would still want to raise kids then the state could very easily concive the child and give it to the couple to raise it, keeping the population numbers in check. China still has laws that forbid you to have more than 2 kids (years ago it was 1 kid max).

>> No.12388310

>>12388259
>you're jsut a fuckstick that can't appreciate any ideas separate from those you have already internalized.

true, but I thought the book was supposed to make a point agains this dystopic society

>>12388300
as living quality improves child birth rates drop to the point of declining population, the only places where population is growing are third world shitholes, as those reach developed state there might be an underpopulation problem in the future.

Education, healthcare and better standards make people not want to have more than 1-2 kids

>> No.12388356

>>12388310
Problem is that the third country shitholes are the ones sustaining us by planting food and working in their shitty factories so we can have things at an industrial level most of time. 1st world countries cant sustain their population themselves unless we go full varg and crawl back into pagan times.
Even if we reach some utopia level of world society, then underpopulation would still be a problem aswell.
You also have not addressed the problem with the genetical manipulation of humans that is in the verge of raising up. All we need is the procedure to become more viable and cheap and any couple could have 10/10 kids securing white collar jobs and being CEOs.
Of course this is all subject of much speculation with many factors in count, but you can already see the vast amounts of problems that could come in either way.

>> No.12388366

>>12388356
Interesting ideas friendo
>10/10 kids securing white collar jobs and being CEOs

why would you want that? healthier kids are a good thing I guess but it's not like all intelligent people end up CEOs, or want to really

I just want to end humanity desu but yeah, I will just go back to BNW

>> No.12388434

>>12388366
>why would you want that? healthier kids are a good thing I guess but it's not like all intelligent people end up CEOs, or want to really
Its more or less an animalistic instinct to want your kids to succed in life.
Its not like the 10/10 intelligent kids would all end up being CEOs, they would have the complete freedom to be whatever they want depending on their tastes, but their tastes would very much incline into the top/high tier jobs. Genes can also determinate if you are more prone to be a leader or not aswell and your charisma in terms of face. So if you wanted, you could really create humans that outmatched anyone in terms of strength, leadership, intelligence and charisma that would instinctively want a position of power.
Genetical manipulation will be a bitch of a situation to deal with, once its mastered and cheap for most people.
Problem now is that scientists still havent found out how to do it for many of the traits.
Have a good day frend