[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 147 KB, 626x710, gustavedoreparadiselostsatanprofile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1237514 No.1237514 [Reply] [Original]

Sup /lit/, Theology student here, can you recommend me some good books on Angels? I'm considering doing my dissertation on them but I want to get a feel of the academic books relating to them before I really make up my mind. I'm particularly interested in the idea of Lucifer/Satan as a fallen angel, so stuff along those lines would be neat.
Pic related, it's one of Gustave Doré's illustrations for Paradise Lost.

>> No.1237519

Hold on a sec, OP. I have a list of Satan related books in a notebook somewhere, taken from /lit/ a while back.

>> No.1237520

>Theology student here

stopped reading there

>> No.1237518

just use paradise lost

what about Divine Comedy??

>> No.1237526

>>1237518
I was hoping for some other examples, just to give me a broader feel for the subject.
>>1237519
You're a bro.
>>1237520
You're a dick.

>> No.1237538

>>1237519
This isn't too long a list. I've only read the first one so far. For the others, Wikipedia or Amazon will have decent spoiler-less descriptions. These are all relatively recent - I hope that's ok.

Testament of Gideon Mack (James Robertson) - A popular Scottish minister falls into a gorge and disappears. The townspeople assume he is dead. Three days later he's found washed up on the shore, claiming to have been saved and cared for by Satan.

I, Lucifer (Glen Duncan) - novel

The Devil and Daniel Webster (Stephen Vincent Benét) - short story, not a novel

To Reign in Hell (Steven Brust) - novel

>> No.1237545

>>1237514
So.... How many Angels can dance on the head of a pin?

>> No.1237549

>>1237538
Thanks, I'm having trouble with Amazon, my searches end up really polluted with new age self help pseudo-theology books.

>> No.1237550

>>1237545
>But if we laugh with derision, we will never understand. Human intellectual capacity has not altered for thousands of years so far as we can tell. If intelligent people invested intense energy in issues that now seem foolish to us, then the failure lies in our understanding of their world, not in their distorted perceptions. Even the standard example of ancient nonsense -- the debate about angels on pinheads -- makes sense once you realize that theologians were not discussing whether five or eighteen would fit, but whether a pin could house a finite or an infinite number.
Stephen J. Gould, Wide Hats and Narrow Minds

>> No.1237552

>>1237549
Also, don't forget Faust.

>> No.1237572

>>1237550
Actually there's no evidence that the debate every really occurred, it was just used to deride the field of angelology by pimps like Aquinas

>> No.1237588

OP, are you getting into comparative religion and related theory, or are you sticking with literature?

>> No.1237608

OP, this isn't really related but what careers are open to you with a degree in theology?

>> No.1237615

>>1237608
You can talk on History Channel specials about the Armageddon.

>> No.1237623

Good Omens counts as academic literature, right?

>> No.1237682

I know shit about angels but I can tell you that your research methods for finding books are bad.
1. Check your field's major authors, in this case, major theologians. Augustus, Aquinas, etc.
2. Go to wikipedia, check "Angels" article and branching articles. Look for books etc in the bibliography section.
3. Go to the library/bookstore and go to the theology area. Maybe even talk to the librarian. If you find anything, bibliographies again.
4. Paradise Lost, Don Juan, Faustus, also check out operas.
5. Ask your teachers.

I'm secular, but I respect that you're educating yourself seriously about your religion.

>> No.1237704

Key of Solomon
Lesser Key of Solomon
Pseudomonarchia Daemonum
a search for "grimoires" will also aid you

>> No.1237707

>>1237704
oops, forgot to erase the name field. i'm not OP, ofc.

>> No.1237715

>>1237707
you won't fool me with your web of lies, OP. get your christian propaganda out of here

>> No.1237719

henry corbin did work on angels, so did swedenborg. lots of stuff out there OP.

>> No.1238025
File: 56 KB, 400x613, 65195-9744-98192-1-lucifer_super (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Go read the first four volumes of Sandman and then read all of Lucifier. Check /rs/

>> No.1238038

are you looking for fiction or non-fiction?

a favorite novel of mine that features Satan and is about angels is The Vintner's Luck by Elizabeth Knox. there's a sequel, The Angel's Cut, but i've not read it yet.

Angels in America, perhaps. i've only seen the miniseries but it was originally a play.

>> No.1238067
File: 153 KB, 615x1000, dharmap.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

not OP, but I'm curious. What's considered canon in the angels/demons mythos?

My point is, if you're trying to develop a theory around this subject matter, there must be some connection or a common denominator amongst all literature. Picking random titles as reference material won't defend a good theory.

Angels and Demons also exist beyond European lore, myths often have overlaps in all over the world. The bugbear is mentioned in Japanese folklore.