[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 92 KB, 581x767, 1544309422319.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12330741 No.12330741 [Reply] [Original]

In 2001 film Hannibal, Hannibal quotes Dante's Vita Nuova: “He woke her then, and trembling and obedient, she ate that burning heart out of his hand. Weeping, I saw him then depart from me. Could he daily feel a stab of hunger for her? Find nourishment in the very sight of her? I think so. But would she see through the bars of his plight, and ache for him?”

I later bought Mark Musa's translation of Vita Nuova, which i thought would contain this quote. But i only found the first part of the quote, not the stab of hunger part. So my question is, where does "Could he daily feel a stab of hunger for her? Find nourishment in the very sight of her? I think so. But would she see through the bars of his plight, and ache for him?" part come from?

pic related, how i feel.

>> No.12330753

Why would Hannbal quote a book written 1000 years after he died?

>> No.12330755

I’m gonna take a guess that the rest of the quote you’re talking about was Hannibal’s own thoughts on the line from the book.

>> No.12330829

>>12330755
Probably, but i found some this quote on some sites, and it made me believe the whole quote is from Dante.

>https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/833420-he-woke-her-then-and-trembling-and-obedient-she-ate

>https://ericrobertnolan.com/2015/04/23/trembling-and-obedient-she-ate-that-burning-heart-out-of-his-hand/

>> No.12331171

>>12330741
I'd say that the second part is supposed to be Hannibal's own words. Stylistically it doesn't feel like typical renaissance writing either.

>>12330829
GR is a bunch of pseuds at best, it wouldn't be surprising at all if they got the quote just from the film and not the actual text.
Similarly one of GR's most liked quotes from Don Quijote is actually from some completely different book that talks about DQ a bit.