[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 58 KB, 360x500, fourth grade nothing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1231010 No.1231010 [Reply] [Original]

So, I bought my cousin's 9 year old girl a few books for her birthday, you know stuff I read at that age. Superfudge, Beezus and Ramona, that type of stuff. When she opened the box, She looked almost angry and my sister told me she hates to read because my cousin makes her write a short book report on every book she reads. I asked her mother why she does this, and she says so she can learn to love to read. This is of course the most retarded thing ever, but I have to ask, how would you instill a love of books in a child?

Also general Children's book thread.

>> No.1231351

It entirely depends on how competent the parents are at deciphering the child's temperament. I was a more perverse child, so if I was told to go and read something I wasn't really excited about, I'd simply fake it and waste time. Eventually I sought out the things I wanted to read, and learned how to read critically, and to read voraciously.

I am a far bigger proponent of making literature available to children, without forcing it upon them; letting them know that literary resources are available should they choose to make use of them. Children are remarkably intelligent, and can make their own decisions regarding how and when they read.

Each child's engagement and progress with literature is individual; there is no singular process to bring texts to tots - merely the respect to let them come to it under their own power.

>> No.1231357

Its pretty simple, just don't own a television or computer, they'll get into reading right quick.... well either that or killing small animals

>> No.1231373

read to them so they feel like fucking hotshots when they read alone. pretty easy.

>> No.1231405

Just leave some good books lying around that are likely to interest a kid. And read to them when they're young. Also, no television, but do get a good movie collection for them to peruse (film being a perfectly viable medium). And, sure, let 'em play good video games.

I think, don't give them, "Kid's entertainment." I'd be far further inclined to let a kid watch any Stanley Kubrick movie than I would be to show them Barney. Safe=/=good. In the end, what they think is cool is what you let them do.

>> No.1232876

Start young. Before they can read, sit down with them at night and read to them (like Little Golden stuff or See Spot Run, etc.). Show them the pictures. Keep at this.

They'll either develop a liking for books or they won't. I've always loved to read - my mother did the same for me that she did for my brother, and he doesn't care for books too much.

Of course, I liked to learn though....I remember in 3rd grade they gave me 6th grade spelling words (paleontologists and stegosaurus mofos) and my mom was angry that they wouldn't advance me any further, so she made me do spelling words every week at home. But I liked it.

>> No.1232882
File: 28 KB, 400x300, mathmagic_land.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1231405
Hey I loved Barney :(

My grandma was big on educational shows and movies. I remember one of my favorites was Donald in Mathmagic Land. I didn't understand most of it, but I used to watch it several times a week and then one day, it started making sense.

>> No.1232889

My mom read to me. I really liked listening to her read, but one day she said, "If you want to find out how this book ends, read it yourself." So I did.

>> No.1232899

>>1231405
I am going to guess that you came from /v/.

>> No.1232907

>>1231373
I'm inclined to believe that this doesn't work because if someone is reading TO them, they learn to follow a story by listening to the words rather than looking at them and doing so at their own pace. Unfortunately I've seen this happen and the kids I know have absolutely no interest in reading to this day.

>>1231405
I understand what you're trying to say, but Jesus Christ half the stuff in FMJ alone seem able to scar a kid for life. You'd really opt for that over some cheery sing-a-long tunes?

>> No.1232924

>>1232907
I guess I was thinking differently, when my parents read to me they would hold me and have the book out in front of me so I could follow along, even before I learned to read.

>> No.1232941

Do like my mom and become a librarian. I spent most of my childhood in a library, it kind of rubs off on you after a while.

>> No.1232967

A person is most susceptible as to what they are going to become interested in when they are teenagers. And at that point, they will choose for themselves. If you burn them out on trying to make them interested in reading at a young age, they're probably more likely to not be interested in it later on.

>> No.1232984

ITT: Good times and how they are had.

>> No.1233007

>>1231351
I rarely compliment people on 4chan, but this was a very accurate, well presented post on how to instill a love of reading.

10/10

>> No.1233070

>>1232907
Well, that's what audiobooks are for, no? If you get the child interested in stories, does it really matter if they prefer to read them themselves or listen to them? They get the same knowledge in the end.

>> No.1233104

Tell her that most kids don't like reading because the associate it with work, which is exactly what she's making it.