[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 160 KB, 720x720, 1539276421949.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12300989 No.12300989 [Reply] [Original]

>Just want to write a simple short story
>Can't get my fucking retard chimp brain to work right

How do I get in the proper mindset to write fiction? I read and read all day, and can write non-fiction extensively. But as soon as I sit down to write something that's just a bit of lighthearted short prose, my brain becomes retard jelly.

HOW DO?

>> No.12301011

why? for what purpose?

>> No.12301032

>>12301011
Well, I was going to say "for fun". But if I have to force myself to do it, it's obviously not fun.

Man, that's sort of depressing. I used to be able to sit in my room and write and draw for hours on end about the most fantastical bullshit. It felt rewarding, and gave a sense of accomplishment to open my binder or the files on my computer and see the world that I'd written out for myself.

Now I have to have a reason why I'm doing it, I guess. It has to accomplish some goal. It can't just be for fun.

>> No.12301074

>>12300989

Approach it like an exercise in word count. Just get the story out of you so you can get to your next step, friend. You'll want to do something after this short story but you can only discover this once you compose it. Knock it out, 5000 words. Make it seductive and interesting.

>> No.12301088

>>12301074
I hate to be "That guy on his laptop in public", but I think it will help if I get out of my fucking house. there's too much shit to distract me here.

I'm going to the library.

Peace niggers, wish me luck.

>> No.12301109

the task might not interest you because you have not taken on a significant enough challenge. there's only so many times you can walk the same labyrinth.

>> No.12301250

Neuroplasticity has fucked you up from constant distraction and diversion. Stop going on the web and forcing yourself to do things you want and your brain will rewire.

>> No.12301325

>>12300989
If you want to write a short story, surely you have an idea you want to write about?

For me, a short story is a condensed, dramatically charged scene or two where you jump straight into the idea without pages of build up or character exposition.

What is /lit/s conception of what makes a short story?

>> No.12302724

>>12301088
too much distracting shit at the library, nigger.
public libraries are crawling with hobos
university libraries are crawling with hotties
coffee shops are faggot centers
you gotta make your bedroom your writing space

>> No.12302737

>>12301325
>For me, a short story is a condensed, dramatically charged scene or two where you jump straight into the idea without pages of build up or character exposition.
maybe im retarded, but one of the reasons why i cant enjoy short stories is because they lack the build up and exposition, and that's one of the reasons i cant write them

>> No.12302752

I'm also having so much trouble with this...
I have a lot of ideas and have outlined a story but when it comes to sitting own and making it I just can't get past the hard part.
I think I need a dopamine fast.

>> No.12302753

Write and keep writing. Do it for an hour a day minimum for the remainder of your life and at some point you will occasionally start to write good things. Never show anyone the bad and you'll look as competent as any writer.