[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 117 KB, 707x960, lol.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12300665 No.12300665 [Reply] [Original]

I would like to learn Classical Greek, what is a good way to start?

>> No.12300686

>>12300665
Augustine hated ancient Greek.

>> No.12300723

It will be very difficult to teach yourself, especially if you don't know Latin. But you can do it if you are motivated and disciplined.

Pick a textbook that seems reasonably affordable. I used Hanson and Quinn -- but I don't actually suggest anything written for "intensives," because they will prioritize grammar dumps to language practice. Definitely get a "beginning reader." I teach with Athenaze and quite like it.

Get Anki or some other flashcard app and make a deck with Dickinson College Commentaries' vocab by frequency list and drill every day. Your goal will be to finish your textbook and learn all vocab possible in about a year. Then ask again

>> No.12300750

>>12300665
For a method based more on learning through reading Athenaze is often referred to. The english edition features far less text then the italian edition (I picked up the english one first and after that the italian one). There are two more books published by the same publisher (https://vivariumnovum.it/catalogo/greco/bibliotheca).).
Then there's the Alexandros and Mythologica (http://www.culturaclasica.com/lingualatina/linguagraeca.htm)) which are purely made up of text and vocab that is glossed in greek as well.

>> No.12300783

>>12300723
I'm surprised to hear you like Athenaze. All my Greek teachers hated it.

Do you force people to learn accents by rote, as part of vocab, the first time around? Or do you let people learn the basic accenting rules and re-learn the special accents later, so as not to overburden them with extra rote memorization shit when they're already buried in an avalanche of beginning morphology and vocab?

>> No.12300894

>>12300750
That's actually perfect, because I speak both English and Italian. Thanks for the tip!

>>12300723
Thanks for the help!

>> No.12301834

does a dick and jane book exist in homeric greek?

>> No.12301954

>>12300783
There really aren't any great Greek textbooks. Compared to Hansen and Quinn and Alpha to Omega, I prefer Athenaze. But I've heard good things about "Learn to Read Greek," altho I have never even looked thru it.

As far as accents: all verbal accents are easy and I expect students to learn them immediately (recessive with a few exceptions). Other parts of speech, I only stress accents when we get ambiguous word forms. But I've never taught Greek prose comp, which is when I'd expect accent knowledge to actually matter.

>>12300894
Good luck, OP.

>>12301834
Not that I know of, but there are a ton of "beginning readers" that serve the same purpose. Nothing as good as Orberg's Lingua Latina, unfortunately