[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 14 KB, 228x279, CA094615-78E8-4D04-AF8C-F2A79FC8D1AA.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12281065 No.12281065 [Reply] [Original]

Do you know of any good criticism on this man? Based on what I’ve read I’m starting to wonder if he is the ultimate pleb/pseud filter.

>> No.12281073

>>12281065
He's pretty popular among art hoes for some reason. I think it's the whole Satan angle.

>> No.12281091

>>12281073
That’s disheartening to hear. I’m looking for a decent book or monograph on him.

>> No.12281137

That barbarian, who writes a long commentary in ten books of harsh verse on the first chapter of Genesis; that coarse imitator of the Greeks, who disfigures the Creation, and who, while Moses represents the Eternal producing the world by a word, makes the Messiah take a great pair of compasses from the armoury of heaven to circumscribe His work? How can I have any esteem for a writer who has spoiled Tasso's hell and the devil, who transforms Lucifer sometimes into a toad and other times into a pigmy, who makes him repeat the same things a hundred times, who makes him dispute on theology, who, by a serious imitation of Ariosto's comic invention of firearms, represents the devils cannonading in heaven? Neither I nor any man could take pleasure in those melancholy extravagances; and the marriage of Sin and Death, and the snakes brought forth by Sin, are enough to turn the stomach of any one with the least taste. This obscure, whimsical, and disagreeable poem was despised upon its first publication, and I only treat it now as it was treated in its own country by contemporaries. For the matter of that I say what I think, and I care very little whether others think as I
do.

>> No.12281141

>>12281137
>muh blasphemy

>> No.12281159

>>12281141
It’s from Candide, quoting a character that we are meant to look down on. He’s sort of a proto-4chan poster.