[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 35 KB, 657x527, R14kkDj.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12242325 No.12242325 [Reply] [Original]

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jan/12/amanda-hocking-self-publishing

>> No.12242457

>made millions writing about muppets
The current order must be destroyed. You can start your own publishing company with a little bit more work than it costs to self publish though.

>> No.12242465

>>12242325
I'm gonna. All the publishing houses rn are kike shit

>> No.12242495

>>12242325
what if i start my own publishing company, and self publish several of my own books using different names?

>> No.12242526

>>12242495
>i start my own publishing company, and self publish several of my own books
t. Evan Dara

>> No.12242539
File: 7 KB, 181x200, 1501970392430.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12242526
>Widely believed to be using a pseudonym, Dara has given no interviews and has issued no photographs, and has chosen to publish his novels through his own press, Aurora. His work has been almost totally unacknowledged by the commercial American literary community
lmao

>> No.12242624

>>12242325
If I make my own big publishing house and nepotistically publish my books through it and nepotistically get professional covers, edition, and marketing provided by the teams that work under me, does it count as self-publishing?

>> No.12242632

>>12242624
duh

>> No.12242639

>>12242624
Do you know what the word "nepotism" means?

>> No.12242643

>>12242457
>T. "speed" reader
She wanted to get money to see a Muppet show. She sold YA trash.

>>12242325
I have no ideas lol
Why can't I produce anything while these people shit out a novel every 2 weeks?

>> No.12242681

>>12242325
>in July she posted Switched, her personal favourite among her novels that she wrote in barely more than a week. It brought in more than $6,000 in pure profit that month alone, and in August she quit her day job.
>By January last year she was selling more than 100,000 a month.

>>"that she wrote in barely more than a week"
>>"By January last year she was selling more than 100,000 a month."

>DISLIKING POPULAR THINGS DOESNT MAKE YOU LE INTERESTING XD

I swear, Reddit anti-elitists are fucking retards, how can you read this and not realize that the planet is overwhelmingly populated by fucking plebs

>> No.12242708
File: 49 KB, 550x535, 1442369336499.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12242325
>Let's jump to October 2010. In those six months, Hocking has raised not only the $300 she needed, but an additional $20,000 selling 150,000 copies of her books. Over the past 20 months Hocking has sold 1.5m books and made $2.5m. All by her lonesome self. Not a single book agent or publishing house or sales force or marketing manager or bookshop anywhere in sight.

What the fuck bros. I could use some money like that.

>> No.12242751

>>12242681
You're just jealous you can't write a best-seller in a week. Maybe you just don't have the artistic genius she does, hmmm?

>> No.12242996

>>12242681
Redditor anti-elitists are the plebs.

>> No.12243578
File: 55 KB, 360x360, 1517355388369.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12242325
Who buys that stuff?

>> No.12243738
File: 161 KB, 1000x1011, 1445884232654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12242681
>Switched is the first book of the young adult paranormal literature series the Trylle Trilogy.[1] It follows the story of Wendy Everly as she meets Finn Holmes, who informs her of her inherited royal status and true identity as a member of the Trylle
>----
>In the prologue, Wendy recounts her sixth birthday party. At the party, she expresses contempt at the gifts of fragile porcelain dolls and throws a tantrum after being presented with a chocolate birthday cake, which she does not like. After which, Wendy's mother claims that she is not her daughter and attempts to take Wendy's life with a large kitchen knife, but is stopped by Wendy's brother Matt.
>Eleven years later, Wendy is living with her brother and her aunt Maggie, who assumed guardianship after her mother was placed in a mental institution. After difficulties at previous schools, Wendy had just transferred to a new high school when she meets Finn, another new student, who asks her to a school dance. At the dance, Finn makes some rude comments to Wendy which angers her, and prompts her to want to leave. She approaches another student and gets him to take her home through a "persuasive" ability by looking in his eyes and telling him what she wants. When Wendy performs this ability in front of Finn, he becomes alarmed. Later that night, Finn comes to her bedroom window and tells her that she is a changeling and that he is here to bring her back to her biological family. He tells her that her ability to "persuade" people is because she is Trylle.
>At first Wendy does not believe Finn, but then she recounts the differences between herself and her family. She uses her persuasive ability to get her brother Matt to drive her to the mental institution to visit her mother, Kim, who advises she still doesn't believe that she is her child. Kim states that the doctor told her that she was pregnant with a boy which is one of the reasons she doesn't believe Wendy is her child. After the visit Wendy starts to consider that she may be a changeling. One morning, she decides to take a walk to consider the implications of what Finn told her when she is attacked by two trackers from a rival Trylle band. Finn rescues her from her attack but tells her that she is not safe.

And it goes on like this.

>> No.12243786
File: 152 KB, 1000x646, harold-bloom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12243738
>mfw reading this
Wendy leaves with Finn and they head to a gated and protected community in Minnesota called Forening. There Wendy meets her biological mother, Queen Elora, who is aloof and distant with her. Wendy learns she is a princess and will become queen of this community upon Queen Elora's death. She also meets Rhys, who is a mansklig, which is the human child that is taken when the Trylle offspring is left behind. She learns that Trylle have various supernatural abilities at various strengths and she starts instruction on learning to develop and control her ability. Wendy is invited to sit in on royal meetings with high ranked members of the community, with results that Elora shows displeasure with because Wendy does not understand Trylle protocol. Wendy also gets the sense that there some background information that is being withheld.

Whilst wandering the Palace for more information, Wendy breaks into a locked room stocked with many undisplayed paintings. Finn finds her and tells her that Elora's Trylle power is of precognition that she can only express through painting. Finn tells her of the societal rules of the Trylle; whilst the Princess, Queens and Marksinna (nobles) are the highest, the Trackers and mänsklig are considered even lower than the peasantry. Finn begins to tutor her in the history and etiquette of the Trylle so that Wendy can properly handle her future role as Queen and not embarrass Elora. He warns Wendy that she cannot become involved with Rhys past a platonic level as it would "corrupt" the bloodline of the royalty, and the strong powers held by the royals would cease to exist.

An introductory ball is scheduled to be held in Wendy's honour. Elora tells Wendy that she will be choosing a more appropriate name for her Trylle life. Wendy says that she does not want to and will not, much to Elora's annoyance. Elora speaks with Finn and he resigns. Wendy finds him before he goes and the two share a kiss. Finn says that he cannot allow her to proceed.

At Wendy's ball, the Vittra attack, forcing the Trylle that possess helpful powers to retaliate. During the fight Jen, the Vittra tracker who had previously attacked Wendy when trying to kidnap her, rounds on her, knocking Rhys unconscious in the process. Finn returns, almost losing his life to aid the princess. Tove, a young Markis, uses psychokinesis to save Finn's life and successfully get rid of Jen. Elora and the other Trylle manage to quell the Vittra threat. Finn and Wendy reunite, until Elora informs Wendy that Finn has left, having been transferred once more. Wendy reacts angrily and uses her persuasive powers on Rhys to get him to drive her back to Matt and Maggie.

>> No.12244839

so basically, if you want to read trash, you can find whatever you want in the trash. Therefore, an author can make money writing trash.
However, if you disdain rooting through mountains of trash, then an author\work needs to be vetted somehow by people capable of discerning literature from trash.
Same as it ever was,
same
as
it
ever
was.