[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.71 MB, 5000x3827, guide_to_evola.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12227302 No.12227302 [Reply] [Original]

In your opinion, what are some necessary prerequisites to Evola's work? Which companion texts are useful?

I've thoroughly read most of the big names in continental philosophy pre-1900, as well as a decent number of commentaries on major works. I'd like to avoid becoming a "dogmatist" of these schools, however, as happens to certain readers (particularly those who use these thinkers to legitimize reactionary politics) - however much guys like Jonathan Bowden might entertain me, I want to seek as clear a picture as possible of this literary tradition (sans neo-reactionism). I'd appreciate any guidance from scholars on this board.

>> No.12227350

I wouldn't think there are any prerequisites per se - apart from, perhaps, a decent knowledge of the mythical sources that Evola himself often references; the Indo-Aryan tradition, the Romans, you get the gist of it.
At the beginning of Revolt Against the Modern World, he writes about the necessity of a wholesale rejection of the categories of "truth" and "reason" as they are codified in the modern age (which includes the Greeks), so I'd say he wouldn't want a reader of his to prepare themselves in any particular academic way in order to confront his writings.

I'm happy someone mentioned him though, this Sunday I'll be climbing a mountain near my house which was part of the Italian Alpine theatre in WWI and I'll be bringing a copy of Meditations of the Peaks with me in order to read it in an appropriate setting. I'm fairly happy about the whole project.

>> No.12227372

>>12227350
Sounds like a great time. This is the sort of thing I dream of doing, but never really follow through with.

How much of Evola have you read? What's your opinion of him?