[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 25 KB, 250x282, speed-reading.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12200610 No.12200610 [Reply] [Original]

Is speed reading a bad thing?

Does it diminishes the joy and pleasure you get out of reading a good book, or do you learn to enjoy reading at a fast pace?

>> No.12200743

>>12200610
It depends on your goals. fiction/lit is meant for enjoyment and a deep understanding of the human condition, this is lost when you skim/speed read because comprehension is lost.

Are you reading nonfiction for gains in a certain field? Then speed reading it first to understand the context of the book is a great idea before you read it again.

>> No.12200765

Disregarding the fact that many studies have shown speedreading to be a fool's errand (I can't be fucked with finding sources, in short your brain comprehend abstract information like letters at a certain speed and you can't do much to enhance that speed without losing chunks of comprehension), I can't see much use of it. If I read a good book, I'm preciously slow to enjoy and understand it to the fullest. Those who engage with scientific literature and have no care for the quality of its prose, still, probably want to understand it completely and not miss a thing, science is in the details. Whats left? Internet articles? Those should be read with instantaneous speed, aka skipped