[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 318 KB, 500x500, 12844597997387.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1218924 No.1218924 [Reply] [Original]

There's a huge gap in my knowledge of the world when it comes to history. I have some superficial knowledge of the history of mathematics, science, philosophy etc. but in terms of world events, wars, history of different cultures and those sorts of things, I have the superficialest of superficial knowledge. I'm even profoundly ignorant of the happenings of the 20th century.

How do I fill this gap? Are there any good all-encompassing "History of the 20th century" or "History of the World" books that can give me a good vague idea? I'm from the UK - are there any good books you've read on the history of Britain, for example? I guess that would be a good place to start.

>> No.1218926

hitler did 9/11

>> No.1219134

bump

>> No.1219140

Obama did the holocaust

>> No.1219145

People shy away from writing comprehensive history. You could get an encyclopaedia of world history (Times probably have one).
Alternatively just read popular history. They're actually some of the best books available. Currently reading a history of Prussia, it's good.

>> No.1219160

There is a book written by the first prime minister of India, Jawarhalal Nehru, called Glimpses of World History, that encompasses a lot of global history. It is quite expensive though. I think it is usually around 50 pounds but you could probably find it cheaper somewhere. I would particularly recommend it because it is a non-eurocentric account of world history.

>> No.1219195

>>1218924

you should either pick an area of history,
for example anti semitism, or a nation or
peoples that interests you and find books
dealing with the specific area your interested in.
Historys of the world always skip over interesting
details.

If you wanted UK history, Simon Schama's
History of Britain series is always a good place
to start.

>> No.1219197

>>1219145

Is the history of Prussia book actually
called History of Prussia?

How far back does it go?

>> No.1219201

I haven't read it, but this is in my Amazon wishlist at the moment: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Penguin-History-Twentieth-Century-Present/dp/0140276319/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UT
F8&coliid=I3EC11J2G0WQLV&colid=GOWVEX31PAOQ
I just typed in "History of the 20th century" and it came up.

>> No.1219204

I'd learn smaller periods in depth.

I'm doing Ireland 1870 - 1925 at the minute + background stuff on the famine (1845-50)

>> No.1219224 [DELETED] 

A History of Britain by Richard Dargie is a good place to start for British history. It's cheap, and gives details of key events in Britain from c.700,000 bc with our first "ancestors" upon till the New millenium and New Labour. It's straight to the point to. Detailed enough for you to have an understanding of key events, but there is still room for you to open your knowledge base wider if you so wish.

>> No.1219226
File: 378 KB, 418x480, Picture0065.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

A History of Britain by Richard Dargie is a good place to start for British history. It's cheap, and gives details of key events in Britain from c.700,000 bc with our first "ancestors" upon till the New millenium and New Labour. It's straight to the point to. Detailed enough for you to have an understanding of key events, but there is still room for you to open your knowledge base wider if you so wish.

>> No.1219236

If you want a great book on WW2, read "The Storm of War". Lots of focus on Britain as well

>> No.1219241

>>1219226
If theres one thing I've learned from watching Time Team here in Australia, it's that anywhere you go in the UK, if you dig for long enough, you will find some archeological evidence of man. Blows my mind. Here, we have 250 years of colonisation, and some cave paintings.

>> No.1219242

Read books by Paul Johnson.

>> No.1219246

New Penguin History of the World for a very vague idea. There are some nice courses on academicearth if you want to go further in-depth.

>> No.1219252

>>1219236
the second world war by churchill goes in the same direction
sure it's biased, but a nice read nonetheless

>> No.1219268

The Economist publishes a list of recommended books every year in different categories. You should check the History category and see which one interests you.