[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 171 KB, 512x386, fuuu.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1214940 No.1214940 [Reply] [Original]

So today I realized that language is an absolutely terrible medium for analysis. This is a large part of the need for lawyers.

WTF was I doing in undergrad with all those "critical" essays? What a waste...

>> No.1214943
File: 65 KB, 400x320, 12345.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1214944

You should have expressed this in an abstract painting

>> No.1214947

>language is an absolutely terrible medium for analysis

wat

I suspect you got burned in your grades, and now you're venting.

>> No.1214952
File: 95 KB, 720x278, 2010-02-26-599fineprint.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1214969

By the way, your complaint about language and lawyers is a valid one, but you can blame many things for that. Here's a real easy diagram about 20th century management-culture, of which tertiary education is merely a reflection:

Military -> corporation -> government

>> No.1215204

>>1214947

I actually did pretty well in undergrad, but think about it--what better way is there to show relationships than numbers or equations?

Have you ever studied chess? Pieces are assigned an arbitrary number to show their value compared to other pieces, which actually makes a lot of goddamn sense.

Rather than referring to the queen as "god-tier," leading to the inevitable permutations of "elder god-tier," "lackluster-tier" or whatever to create endless levels of value, there's a simple number indicating an immutable relationship. No needless complexity or the often subjective connotative meanings that accompany words.

By the way, much of this stems from a conversation I had with my dad a few weeks ago. He studied for an MBA, and showed me some of the coursework he did. Honestly, his thinking seemed so much clearer and more precise than mine (I'm an English/Historybro), despite my discipline's emphasis on intellectual pursuit and clarity of thought.

>> No.1215213

This is why we have math. I can think about something, write it down, and another person I've never talked to will know exactly what I'm talking about.

>> No.1215214

>>1214944

expression =/= analysis

>> No.1215285

>>1215204

If the number is arbitrary, than it's not really much a value.

>> No.1215310

>>1215204
your example of chess is actually an interesting one
because the number values assigned to pieces are somewhat arbitrary
for example, if it is a closed game the knight is more valuable than the bishop despite its numerical value
there are about a million examples like this in chess
the value of a piece is contextual, and reducing it to a number is worthless (no grandmaster would do so)