[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.43 MB, 1489x1489, ca22-square-orig.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12136632 No.12136632 [Reply] [Original]

What are some good introduction to Celtic mythology books?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celtic_mythology

Irish Myths & Legends - Full Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF_FeUgsgII

>> No.12136636

>>12136632
I would also like to know this. The Golden Bough is related but not exactly.

>> No.12136700

>>12136632
Augusta, Lady Gregory. Cuchulain of Muirthemne. Fifth edition. Gerrards
Cross: Smythe, 1973. A translation of The Táin that greatly influenced the
Gaelic revival in Ireland.

Carey, John. A New Introduction to Lebor Gabála Érenn: The Book of the
Taking of Ireland, Edited and Translated by R.A. Stewart Macalister. Dublin:
Irish Texts Society, 1993. A study by the world’s leading expert on this vital
text about the origins of the Irish.

Carson, Ciarán, trans. The Táin: A New Translation of the Táin Bó Cúailnge.
London: Penguin Books, 2007. A wonderfully readable translation of the great
Irish epic.

Cross, Tom Peete, and Clark Harris Slover, eds. Ancient Irish Tales. Totowa,
N. J.: Barnes and Noble Books, 1981. A collection of translations of key texts
from the various Irish literary cycles.

Ford, Patrick K., ed. and trans. The Mabinogi and Other Medieval Welsh
Tales. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press, 1977. An
excellent translation of the Four Branches of the Mabinogi, plus several other
Welsh tales.

Gantz, Jeffrey, trans. Early Irish Myths and Sagas. Harmondsworth: Penguin
Books, 1981.

Jackson, Kenneth Hurlstone. The Gododdin: The Oldest Scottish Poem.
Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1969. A translation with commentary
of the first poem to mention Arthur by name.

O’Meara, John J., trans. The Voyage of Saint Brendan: Journey to the
Promised Land. Portlaoise: Dolmen Press, 1976. A translation of one of the
seminal texts of the early Irish church.

Koch and Carey, The Celtic Heroic Age

>> No.12136712
File: 40 KB, 984x282, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12136700
also read the bibliographies of these checked by getting them on libgen and look for what is cited the most

>> No.12136887

>>12136700
>Not using the Kinsella translation

>> No.12138031
File: 950 KB, 1549x2289, 91uEuBMbkSL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Percy Jackson and the Olympians

>> No.12138274
File: 770 KB, 1125x1250, HowToIntoCelticPaganism.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12136632
>>12136636

>> No.12139211

>>12136632
On the tpoic of Celtic mythology I was wondering where did Lugh of the Long Hand go after the Milesians invaded? Surely a great king like him would not abandon his race. Was it to show that his predecessors were not capable of kingship? He was still alive seeing as he reappears to Conn of the Hundred Battles and to CuChulainn.

>> No.12139252
File: 2.04 MB, 2121x1414, proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12136632
I only know about Irish but Introduction to Early Irish Literature by Muireann ní Bhrolcháin is good and all you really need for an intro. For actual texts Early Irish Myths and Sagas, I think it's penguin but can't remember. Táin Bó Cuailgne by Thomas Kinsella is good. I haven't read Carson's. Lady Gregory's is mostly paraphrased but is a good work in itself, historically influential and she's herself an important figure in Irish literary history.

Sweeney Astray by Séamus Heaney is as far as I know the only published translation of Buile Suibhne, though I've read a rough and direct translation online somewhere that was not meant for publication. Heaney's is more adapted in a lot of parts but Heaney is a great poet in his own right and the work is class.

Agallamh na Seanórach was published in English for the first time this year or last. I've read it, it's a good translation that aims mostly for accuracy to the Irish than artistry in English. You get a lot of sense of the language from it which I like and the Fenian cycle is a bit fresher than the Ulster cycle so definitely give this one a go. A bonus is you'll "get" at-swim-two-birds a lot more.

A lot of the most interesting tales are from the mythological and historical cycles, and it's much harder to find published translations of these, though I have seen hagiographies that contain some of the more common myths about Sts Patrick, Brigid, Colmcille. Online you can usually find academic translations of mythological and historical cycle tales but they're scattered. I'm probably forgetting a lot.

>> No.12139268

Any good Celtic mythology that isn't Gaelic?

>> No.12139273

>>12139268
Welsh and Arthurian stuff from Brittany

>> No.12139318

>>12139211
I'm just speculating but I believe that Suir had lied to the Milesians causing them to return in full force. Lugh being a god of Justice was angry at this treachery committed by his own people and thus did not take part. And perhaps after retiring as king he thought that Ogma could prove himself worthy of the title held by Nuada, the Dagda, Lugh etc. Least thats my interpretation.

>> No.12139327

>>12139211
>On the tpoic of Celtic mythology I was wondering where did Lugh of the Long Hand go after the Milesians invaded?
Purely speculation but my impression of Lugh is that he was fond of humans and may have been a kind of culture hero in earlier beliefs. Maybe this didn't gel with the grudge-holding temper of the rest of the Tuatha Dé Danann and the story was kind of retconned afterwards.

>> No.12139346

>>12139327
>my impression of Lugh is that he was fond of humans and may have been a kind of culture hero in earlier beliefs
I do agree that he was fond of humans as were many of the Irish gods. I do find the idea that Lugh was many gods conflated into one as a propaganda tool to reinforce one of the leading dynasties claim as an interesting theory.
>Maybe this didn't gel with the grudge-holding temper of the rest of the Tuatha Dé Danann
I wouldn't be so sure on this. Judging by the "Deaths of the Sons of Tuireann" Lugh did hold a grudge on the Sons of Tuireann for killing his father Cian. In their time of need he let them die as compensation.
I like >>12139318 idea.
It's a shame so much of their mythology is lost.