[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 792 KB, 1728x422, poetry vs prose.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12105273 No.12105273 [Reply] [Original]

Let's solve this once and for all

>> No.12105465

Poetry is always the message in and of itself. Prose is sometimes a means of conveying a message, so you have to slog through atrocious prose to get the message. Poetry is superior because bad poetry is easier to ignore.

>> No.12105480

>>12105273
The weak shall fear the strong and the strong have spoken, prose is shit.

>> No.12105529

Poetic prose and narrative poetry is where it's at

>> No.12105938

>>12105273
>poetry fag
>behaves as a crazed borderline woman
Why am I not surprised?

>> No.12106024

I like both

>> No.12106032

Whatever Shakespeare feels like.

>> No.12106090
File: 28 KB, 750x462, 7777777.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I consider poetry as vain and wasteful.
Language is a tool, the most amazing and flexible tool ever created, but a tool nevertheless. Novelists are the craftmen who mastered the tool of language to create immortal works of beauty and achievements of human genius. Poets, however, do not see it this way. For a poet, language is beautiful in itself. Poet becomes obsessed with language, he fetishizes the tool, he's a blacksmith who dedicates his life to creating the Most Beautiful Hammer There Is, and once he does it he simply puts it away.

>> No.12106100

Why are russians like this?

>> No.12106137

>>12106100
russians are spiritual like easterners, instead of materialistic like westerners
but they're also passion-driven like westerners, instead of austere like easterners.
a very delicate combination

>> No.12106419

>>12105273
Mikhail Bakhtin convinced me that prose (the novel specifically) is superior to poetry. Novels are polyphonic, meaning that an author can juggle many voices and characters throughout one book. Poems are usually monophonic. Novels can exhibit many paradoxical truths and differing ideas in the same work, “The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.”

>> No.12106444

>>12106137
>the level of romantic delusion
Most Russians are ultra-materialistic hedonistic cattle.
т. paшн

>> No.12106581

>>12106090
I agree wholeheartedly

>> No.12106595
File: 77 KB, 996x651, kantargument.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>your country will never this autistically passionate about your hobby

>> No.12106618

>>12106137
>>12106444
I remember reading somewhere, that while Russia does well in scientific research but unlike westerners they fail to capitalise on this success and make money and business from it, because business is not seen as a noble enterprise.
Of course everywhere humans are materialistic, but it would make sense if Russians were somewhat less so and place more value relatively on thoughts than products.

>> No.12106623

>>12106090
In what way does a poet not use language as a tool to create something beautiful? Your simile only works if poets spent all their time making up new words that were beautiful rather than using the ones they have; it's the latter they do, not the former. Honestly, I doubt you've read a single piece of poetry.

>> No.12106630

>>12106618
Russia's scientific research isn't as competitive as it might otherwise be because they're insular as fuck, anon.

>> No.12106648

>>12106630
Found the article I was thinking of
>GRAHAM: I often heard Russian scientists say, you know, “All my good ideas get robbed! You Westerners steal them from us!” But there is, in the Russian scientific community, the belief that business is dirty. And that you should not demean yourself by stepping out of the world of ideas...and in Russia this is reinforced by the fact that there is a lot of corruption and so, to go into business is, in an intellectual’s mind, the same as getting into the dirty realm of crime, corruption, and wheeling and dealing.

>IDEAS: Do you have a favorite example?

>GRAHAM: A beautiful example is the laser. The laser is fundamental to our modern economy. We all use them—we use them in our cameras, printers. Everyone uses lasers all the time. But the laser is a fairly new technology—it was developed in the ’50s and ’60s, and two Russians got the Nobel Prize for inventing it! There was an American [who received the Nobel] too, Charles Townes—but two Russians, Alexander Prokhorov and Nikolai Basov, got the Nobel for it. Now, let’s ask, who is making the money off lasers today? There isn’t a single Russian company selling lasers on the international market that has any significance at all. Charles Townes, meanwhile...as soon as he developed a laser, even though he wasn’t a businessman—he was your typical physics professor—he said, “Hey! I think someone could make money off this! I’m not a businessman, but I’m going to get my slice.” So he immediately took out a patent on what he developed, and later he sold that patent to a business, because though he himself did not want to run a business, he still had a sense of what he had on his hands. And the Russians did nothing like that—in fact, they couldn’t in the environment in which they lived.

I don't know enough about it to know if he's talking bullshit, but I found it interesting.

>> No.12106881

>>12106618
>>12106648
>business is not seen as a noble enterprise
I'm not sure what you're on about. As your own greentext points out it was impossible to commercialize something privately in post-war USSR and modern Russia is fucked on so many levels, that there's no surprise here. Business is certainly not seen as an inherently amoral activity, nor do most people care about "nobility" of their endeavors.

>> No.12106901

>>12106881
>business is, in an intellectual’s mind, the same as getting into the dirty realm of crime, corruption, and wheeling and dealing.
That's what I was referring to. Though yes, as the article states it's exacerbated by the corruption in Russian business.

>> No.12106902

>>12106444
Cпиздoвaл нa pycoфoбaч

>> No.12106941
File: 325 KB, 736x973, yh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12106902
The bydlo is immunized against all dangers: one may call him a scoundrel, parasite, swindler, profiteer, it all runs off him like water off a raincoat. But call him bydlo and you will be astonished at how he recoils, how injured he is, how he suddenly shrinks back: “I’ve been found out.”