[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.05 MB, 2560x1600, surreal city.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1209362 No.1209362 [Reply] [Original]

You know what I really love about some science fiction? The feeling that humanity itself becomes fundamentally alien.

Just felt like sharing

>> No.1209378

Cool, man. Keep on truckin.

>> No.1209893

right on man

>> No.1209916

i like the feeling when aliens become fundamentally human - not ur shit op.

>> No.1209944

The most excellent element of any science fiction is clearly when lasers go "PEW PEW!"

>> No.1209957

Well, think about it this way: Humans are fundamentally alien already, it's just that you've grown up in that culture, become accustomed to it, and thus it is not alien to you.

In other words, I think Orwell and Huxley and all those dystopian guys are being unfair as you'd probably like all those societies when you got used to them. At least to a certain degree. I mean, if they could keep themselves going, and they made us stay alive, and it didn't accidently trigger another type of culture when like the church was trying to erradicate other religions by science during the end of the middle ages and that really, as you can visibly see today got out of hand; well, in that case I don't think I would mind those societies very much. I don't think anyone would. Which is kind of also why the Nobel Peace Prize this year was kind of icky. As this one guy said, in China you don't even have a proper word for "I", allegedly, and it's not difficult to find a dissident among like billion people. I mean, *someone's* always bound to dislike what everyone else is liking.

Or I don't know. Now I'm just rambling.

I like science fiction too :)

>> No.1209976

I like the parts with Lando. He's my favorite.