[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 35 KB, 325x307, gurdjieff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12089373 No.12089373 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone lost want answers I've studied the book "Beelzebub tale's to his Grandson, All and Everything" (1924-50)" for 6 years .

Here are List of topics he covers that i can remember. from top of my head.

Secret to the moon /Atlantis /Hypnotism /Sacred ancient yoga /How to live /Advanced technology /Contact with 250 yr old monk /Secret of sex organs /Secret history from temples destroyed /Map of pre-sand Egypt /May have taught Hitler and Stalin the occult /Involved in “the Great Game /Higher Bodys /his student Haushofer created Vrill society /Access to extinct knowledge /Resurrection

>> No.12089379
File: 11 KB, 600x491, shrugging.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>a century of gurdjieffians being gurdjieffian
>not one interesting manifestation of supernormal power

Why are occultists so fucking shitty at showing off their powers?

>> No.12089384

>>12089373
>can shoot lightning from fingers
>can't grow hair on head
some people actually believe these quacks

>> No.12089391

>>12089373
you left out "how to talk people into financing your interpretive dance school for thirty years".

>> No.12089401

Tell us about all of them. Also: is there a glossary anywhere?

>> No.12089402

>>12089379
its a tradegy, they all die

, he died and never finished the final book of the series, his third book which was about "how to be". ironic , he started writing in the hospital right after he almost died, maybe hoping the future would gain his insight on destroyed teachings he was part of

i think the tragedy of the past is they didnt have as much technology as we have ,now a days we have micro fiber and more information

>> No.12089406

>>12089373
lmao even phys damage is better than lightning.

>> No.12089410

>>12089384
Theres a price to pay for being lord of thunder anon

>> No.12089414

>>12089384
not even the smartest scientist on earth know why we he hair, they have dozens of theory on why we have butt hair

the lightning part is a quote from bioshock

>> No.12089431

>>12089391
his " dance school" never existed, he had a institute called institute for the Harmonious Development of Man, he had "movement classes" which where just sacred pranayama yoga, dances where 1% of his teachings, he had 1 dance exhibition in Newyork if thats what you mean

>> No.12089448

>>12089401
if you use google " gurdjieff and the topic, i cant tell you all, the book is thousands of pages long and took months to read/audio book on youtube and years to understand after only learning 10% each time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63GNAzhDTI0&list=PLacN4nAmMe4IwrIIEdbuCEXObcsUyh4Pd

here is the entire audiobook

>> No.12089479

>>12089373
Is this Borges

>> No.12089484

>>12089479
>Borges
george gurdjieff the writer

>> No.12089489
File: 102 KB, 1234x461, G.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12089379
Not a Gurdjieff quote.
Second, equating Gurdjieff with the occult is like equating James Joyce with Stepanie Meyer.
The main method Gurdjieff taught was self remembering, which amounst to being aware of your mind and your surroundings at all time - essentially, an active form of mindfullness meditation. Another well known exercise is the attempt not to be controlled by negative emotions - that is, if someone triggers you, you try to remain calm, cool, and connected. It's the same attitude towards emotions that is advocated to use while meditating - pay attention but dont' get attached - but placed into the sphere of everyday life and encounters.
Neither it means being always quiet - if the situation really demands (you need to set delinquent kids staight or tranquilize a violent drunk), then you're allowed to. Getting butthurt over a 4chan post is something that demands detachment.
Another exercise is stopping inner considering - "what do people think of me"/"what would people think of me is act or do this thing"/"why don't people respect me properly" sensation that is present inside (Example: the cashier didn't say hello to me; I should tell her or write a complaint) - and practicing external considering - in other words, empathy, putting yourself in others shoes (Example: "The cashier looks tired and stressed out. Likely, she's been working since morning. Better to let her slip slide.")
If you've been in any occult group and witnessed their activities, you would know that many don't follow even these simple exercises - opting out instead for such flashy and cool stuff as astral projection, invocations and evocations - and that drama between occultists over whose visions ar better and whose understanding of some particulat symbol is bettter or whose "gnosis" is higher is as common as drama among teenagers.
While occultism likes to go into otherwordly dimensions and talk with various entities, Gurdjieff recommended staying here and now, being grounded, and not eschewing the real world for the astral plane. He said that like itself - your work, your family, your friends - provides you with necesssary material for development if you remember to be aware at every moment and fight against your negative emotions and conditioned habits.
Sure, there is the table of elements, the law of Three and Seven, then Beelzebub's Tales, but if you're not an absolute schizo who takes everything literally, you would realize that a lot of it metaphorical and unlikely to be true in the form as it is presented. In the introduction to the Tales, Gurdjieff advised to get the gist of it, which I think means to grasp the meaning, not the form. Furthermore, there are stories of his pupils telling that Gurdjieff deliberately wrote the book to be as inacessible as possible (Benneth. Gurdjieff: Makign a New World; Also, Cosmic Trigger p.142-143).

>> No.12089540

>>12089489
the books descriptions take hundreds of pages ,cant copy paste the entire chapter about the subject, is that taboo or something ?

>> No.12089717

Is there an entry level book that actually outlines his believes and practices or is it all obscurantist nonsense?

>> No.12089722

>>12089489
Being constantly "on" and aware takes effort. Our nervous system is built upon learning rotes that are then performed subconsciously. Mindfulness is another way of dealing with deep trauma but I know a total of 0 real life people that have managed to ascend

>> No.12089769

>>12089717 free on audible
https://www.amazon.com/Gurdjieff-Beginners-Guide-Misplacing-Transform/dp/B00GI3YTKU/ref=tmm_aud_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
Gurdjieff, A Beginner's Guide: How Changing the Way We React to Misplacing Our Keys Can Transform Our Lives