[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 52 KB, 309x475, SF.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1204832 No.1204832 [Reply] [Original]

So I just finished reading Quentins Sections in William Faulkners "The Sound and The Fury".
That section was way better than Benjy's section, but it was still crazy hard to follow.
Help me understand this mindfuck of a book please bookfags.
What was Mr. Compson saying at the end?
Why did Quentin punch Gerald and then end up getting his ass kicked.
Why did Quentin put that knife up to Caddys neck and then pussy out?
fyi sparknotes sucks

>> No.1204844

>en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Suicide

>> No.1204854

I know this is time consuming OP, but read it again, after checking out sparknotes/whatever.

This caliber of book is totally worth it...

Fuck I want to read this now.

>> No.1204861

OP here
I hate how the last ten pages are written. Theres no capitalaztion or any sort of sentence structure. The first 180 pages are just killer. I'm an avid reader but come on!

>> No.1204870

>>1204861
>Theres no capitalaztion or any sort of sentence structure.

It represents the chaotic feelings, thoughts and emotions going on within Quentin.

>> No.1204884

>>1204854
>Fuck I want to read this now.

Me too. Amazing novel. I also want to read Moby Dick again. I want to read about Stubb eating whale stake and messing with the cook and the cook preaching to the sharks.

>> No.1204914

I tried reading this and gave up after 25 pages. I sort of understand that it's from the perspective of a retarded man but christ I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on.

>> No.1204927

He attempted to beat up Gerald because Gerald was dating Caddy and Quentin was crazy in love with Caddy and wanted to protect her.
Compson was saying something about virginity, I can't really remember. Basically calling Quentin a liar after Quentin told him he fucked Caddy.
And he put a knife to her neck because he wanted to have sex with her and loved her a lot and stuff like that.

>> No.1204933

>>1204914
Take it slow, make sure you know when it's a flash back and when it isn't, the book sometimes goes into flashback at completely random in mid sentence. Benjy's section can be pretty confusing, almost as much so as Quentin's and times. Don't give up though, try it again. If you need a readers companion or guide to get through the book get one. The book is too amazing to go unread.

>> No.1204935

>>1204914
Jump the fuck in. You will be confused. Deal with it. The more you read, the more you will understand about what happened earlier in the book. Also, there are two Quentins.
Then, once you are done, read it again, and it will make a ton more sense.