[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 36 KB, 655x527, 1539035770865.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12046746 No.12046746 [Reply] [Original]

Hi everyone ,I wanted to ask for advice on how to get one of my friends to read. Basically im worried about him,he has no goals in life,does not work,does not go to university yet (he is going to enroll this week to start next year but until then he is doing nothing) and he does nothing but browse the internet and play video games all day,he barely even leaves the house.

I want to get him to read because it would be good for him,it would serve as training to study for when he gets into university(if you can read for several hours then you can study for several hours,most people cant sit down and read without getting distracted).

I asked him what kind of universe he likes in video games, I figured out that he likes fantasy he cloud read fantasy books for example,but he just responds with "Uh-uh I dont know I never tought about it". I also asked him if he has any interests or things he would like to do so he cloud read about that but he said the same "I dont know".

I want him to start reading so he does not become a failure at life and so he can start doing something productive with his time but I dont know what to do,he is not stupid,he has a 99 IQ,but I dont know how to get him to read,any suggestions?

>> No.12046797

>>12046746
>I figured out that he likes fantasy he cloud read fantasy books for example,but he just responds with "Uh-uh I dont know I never tought about it". I also asked him if he has any interests or things he would like to do so he cloud read about that but he said the same "I dont know"
If you can get this man to start reading I will be very impressed. He is clearly either extremely averse to trying new things or has absolutely no interest in getting into reading.
Does he like The Witcher? Maybe you could get him to try the books

>> No.12046803

>>12046746
Why would you' You should keep your friend dumber than you are so you look smarter next to him.

>> No.12046807

>>12046746
>I want him to start reading so he does not become a failure at life and so he can start doing something productive with his time
didn't help me desu

>> No.12046814

>>12046746
This isn't really about your friend anon. It's about you.

>> No.12046840

>>12046797
Im going to ask him if he played the games,he just has no motivation to do anything , I guess and im worried that if he does not get into a habit of doing productive things with his time (specifically reading since its a lot like studying)he is going to fail at university next year.

>>12046803
Honestly im getting kinda bored of my friends,I started reading about two years ago,I read some books on economics,philosophy and history,I became a more cultured person but my friends know nothing on real world subjects so I cant never discuss real world subjects with them and if they have an opinion is just an NPC opinion they heard from TV.

>> No.12046911

>>12046814
This, but I'm not sure if he's on the wrong just because of this tho
>>12046840
Wouldn't getting him to go to therapy be better?

>> No.12046920

>>12046840
>Im going to ask him if he played the games,he just has no motivation to do anything , I guess and im worried that if he does not get into a habit of doing productive things with his time (specifically reading since its a lot like studying)he is going to fail at university next year.
Why do you care? I don't get it, are you his mom? Are you guys fucking? It seems like he's an adult person, making his own decisions and carrying the consequences, let him.

>> No.12046927

>>12046920
>shaming someone bc they care about someone else
>can't care abt someone unless you're immediate family or fucking

How are your friendships going, anon?

>> No.12046943

>>12046927
Sorry I always avoided junkies and losers so I never had to drag my friends through their daily duties. Also, yes, blood is thicker than water, if you weren't from some Western bisexual patchwork family, you'd probably be aware of that.