[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 439x492, jdubs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1201349 No.1201349 [Reply] [Original]

Memorable quotations thread. I'll start.

Let's make books cool again! If you go home with somebody, and they don't have books, don't fuck 'em! -John Waters

>> No.1201352

The only thing we possess certainly is the past.

>> No.1201355

I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet.

>> No.1201360

"I once saw a man hanging from a cliff," he said slowly. "The brink was crumbling beneath his fingers, and the only thing near enough to grasp was a tuft of grass, a few long blades with roots barely clinging to the rock. The only chance he had of climbing back up on the cliff. So he grabbed it." His abrupt chuckle held no mirth. "He had to know it would pull free."

Asmodean to Rand al'Thor

>> No.1201372
File: 1.40 MB, 193x135, BertBook.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The wilderness whispered to Kurtz, and the whisper had proved irresistibly fascinating. It echoed loudly within him because he was hollow at the core...

>> No.1201375

"False modesty is the last refuge of the incompetent" --Twain

>> No.1201396

>>1201352

If you plug that quote into the idea that our memories are inconsistent and inaccurate, it makes for a interesting thought.

>> No.1201423

>>1201355
Sylvia Plath. Brofist it, Anon.

When I was nineteen, pureness was the great issue. Instead of the world being divided up into Catholics and Protestants or Republicans and Democrats or white men and black men or even men and women, I saw the world divided into people who had slept with somebody and people who hadn’t, and this seemed the only really significant difference between one person and another. I thought a spectacular change would come over me the day I crossed the boundary line.

>> No.1201435

"The speaker is Death:

"There was a merchant in Baghdad who sent his servant to market to buy provisions and in a little while the servant came back, white and trembling, and said, 'Master, just now when I was in the marketplace I was jostled by a woman in the crowd and when I turned I saw it was Death that jostled me. She looked at me and made a threatening gesture, now, lend me your horse, and I will ride away from this city and avoid my fate. I will go to Samarra and there Death will not find me.'

"The merchant lent him his horse, and the servant mounted it, and he dug his spurs in its flanks and as fast as the horse could gallop he went.

"Then the merchant went down to the marketplace and he saw me standing in the crowd and he came to me and said, 'Why did you make a threatening gesture to my servant when you saw him this morning?'

"'That was not a threatening gesture,' I said, 'it was only a start of surprise. I was astonished to see him in Baghdad, for I had an appointment with him tonight in Samarra."

>> No.1201662
File: 790 B, 126x115, 1284078743768s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend.
- Camus

>> No.1203094

When I'm sad, I stop being sad and start being awesome instead. - anonymous

>> No.1203321

In the real dark night of the soul it is always three o' clock in the morning, day after day
F. Scott Fitzgerald

>> No.1203469

Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody. - Salinger

>> No.1203476

«Who are you?»
«I'm Doctor Kashmir,» said Doctor Kashmir.
- The Great Gatsby (Ella Fitzgerald)

>> No.1203478

Don't walk with rhythm.

-Hank Ferbert

>> No.1203498

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
-Bertrand Russell
I think this applies to /lit/.

>> No.1203512
File: 52 KB, 239x189, 1283207522504.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do I dazzle you?

>> No.1203539

>>1201662
I like this one, thanks for posting!