[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 23 KB, 220x315, TheSoundAndTheFuryCover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11992693 No.11992693 [Reply] [Original]

Is this shit really able to be understood by someone or I'm right in believing that it's just UNREADABLE? I generally consider myself to be a person with a good reading comprehension, but come on. I hardly managed to get through Benjy's part, but Quentin's part is just... too much.

I mean, it's like Faulkner tried really, really hard to make it as hard to read as possible, in an intent to be edgy or "so original" I guess, but it just results on a piece of entirely hard, unpleasurable book to read (and unpleasurable because k, i'm quite getting some things about the book, and i'd like to know more about them, but i never understand them fully due to the style of the author).

I sincerely don't understand how there are complete analysises and even a movie apparently made out of this book? Like, how do you connect the incoherent, non-linear stuff that's happening? I'd really like to know.

>> No.11992703

>>11992693
OP here; also not sure if I should keep trying or just switch to another book that I don't face such trouble understanding like this one.

I'm no kidding if i'm saying this never happened me with any other author; well, perhaps Heidegger, but he's still easier to understand than this.

>> No.11992886

>>11992703
Keep reading, you just need to get into Faulkner's rhythm. By no means is it easy but you can get the general idea. And once you have the general idea it's much more rewarding and enlightening to go back and reread, because you know what's going on and sort of what you're looking at and looking for.

I'm not the most prolific reader ever but in all the books I've read I've never found anything even remotely similar to Faulkner's stuff, especially the Sound and the Fury. I shill him a lot on this board but it's only because no other author, not dostoevsky or kawabata or Melville or Joyce or Plato, has inspired such a feeling of beauty and profundity that Faulkner does. Maybe Shakespeare but it's much farther away from me

>> No.11992902

>>11992693
It's a book that's meant to be re-read to be understood! The first misunderstandings that the reader has are really important to the novel, though. If you want, you can look up SparkNotes to find out who all the characters are, then it's basically easy.

>> No.11993265

>>11992902
>>11992886
This